Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: It's all coming apart

Re: It's all coming apart

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Frank… I see you're picking up on the gist of what the helpful folks here on NMP have been trying to tell you all along – that you must take action to help yourself. No one else can stop you from panicking, but they can suggest ways and means which might benefit you personally (all we panickers have, collectively, shed loads of painful experience in this department and we’re all still learning!). You have to tackle it from within yourself.

So, yes, you’ve got to stop yourself from continually re-entering the destructive, meaningless cycle of looking for all those things you know are going to worry the hell out of you and take a more critical, detached view of those that you do come across.

For a bit of lighthearted relief which sort of illustrates how folks here on NMP might see your problems of applying what we’ve been telling you, watch the bit from episode one of Red Dwarf series four where Lister is trying to teach Kryten how to lie etcetera: https://youtu.be/oB-NnVpvQ78
    I don't even need to watch it to know how this one goes...

Lister: Now what is this?
    Kryten: It's Article 50.
    Lister: No, now remember what we discussed about how to lie. So, what is it?
    Kryten: It's a...it's a...it's a...small off duty traffic warden!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
    And I can't stop myself, is that it?
    In what way? Do you mean you are drawn towards reading things that will trigger you? Or how you react to triggers? Or both?

How I react to triggers, mainly.

How I react to triggers, mainly.
    Then you can put in place strategies for this. You could use the assessment tools such as CBT uses to determine how rational thoughts/situations are. You could apply waiting periods e.g. see if the media forgets about this "most important event" within days and are wibbling on about something else. You could have an anti Googling strategy to keep you away from the loonier end of the media and blogs out there.

And what about when the thought continues to bother me?

And what about when the thought continues to bother me?
    As terry said, that’s when you use the strategies that we learn and put in place to help us through these issues. Over time the thoughts become less powerful because we give them far less power over us.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Cameron was right - we are going to start World War III, aren't we? We're turning into another Nazi Germany. The events correlate!

Cameron was right - we are going to start World War III, aren't we? We're turning into another Nazi Germany. The events correlate!
    What? We are going to destroy ourselves and all those rich people will have nothing? Sound plausible? I bet more people will be concerned about what shorts to wear today over politics.

Give it time; you'll see what I mean.

Give it time; you'll see what I mean.
    Your problem is that you simply don't understand that nature of media, fearmongering and business.

Your life is passing you by whilst you worry about things that might happen. It's absurd.

Go out into the woods and listen to the birds. If the bomb drops, quickly message us here about how smug you feel about being right.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread Information