Thread: success/advice

success/advice

Hi All

I hav'nt been at work since June due to my non invasive breast cancer but amazingly, i've been the best anxiety/panic wise that i can remember for about 4-5 years. I'm now back to doing just about all i did before(except drive down certain roads) and what really upsets me is the fact that i might go straight back down again once i go back to work and now the nights are getting darker and colder. This is a sort of success story and a sort of " Any advice appreciated" thread. Not sure when back at work yet as probably need radiotherapy for a bit after having surgery twice( 2nd time was Tuesday and was all by myself).

Linda xxxxx

Re: success/advice

Hi linda,
    I think your doing really well and should be so proud of yourself.
    Confidence comes with time and believing in yourself.
    What I really love about this site is the success stories.
    Yesterday was a real struggle but always at the back of my mind was the fact that when Id achieved my goal I could come on here and tell people what Id done and theyd understand.
    To my family and friends it was probably no big deal, but to the people who struggle with everyday mundane things it was a huge success.
    I understand the thing about driving down certain roads.
    You are doing really well. You go girl!!!
    Pse feel free to pm me linda

lots of love
    LYNN xx

Hi Sandlin - sounds like you are doing well.

Only advice I can give is on the driving side. Avoidance reinforces your anxiety. Do what I did - wait till all the traffics gone (9pm+), and drive down those roads. The longer you avoid them the more of a bug bear they become.

I had my fist PA last year at a junction in a friends car. I avoided it for 3 months, but found once I took the car by the bit (so to speak) and went down this road I haven't avoided it since.

Its soooooooo easy to tell yourself to go another way. Believe me, once that way of thinking sets in then its not just roads that end up being avoided. Give it a whirl - whats the worst that can happen ??? A PA ? Well you know that aint gonna kill you, so be strong. Plus at that time of night you'll probably breeze through.

Advice for anyone whether a driver, shopper, bus user etc is avoidance is not the answer. What starts off small can escalate beyond belief. Better to tackle it now on your own terms.

Keep us posted and (well, I was gonna wish you luck, but you don't need it), just drop us a line when the roads are conquered

Positive as always ......... Krakers.

Hi Linda

Just wanted to congratulate you on your progress hun, its sounds like you have made some great achievements.
    i wouldnt worry too much about going back to work, i was off work for a long time and going back helped me so much take my mind off things. Good luck and well done too for going on your own for you treatment also

Love

Andrea
    xxxxx

Hi Linda,

I can't offer advice on the driving bit as I've never had that fear but I'm sure others will be able to help.

As for the work, I would just focus on what you are going through now and not worry about what is ahead. If we try and stay in the present it makes less worry, easier said that done, I know but it really does help. Good luck.

Love,

Laura

Thread Information