Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smear test

Smear test

Hi everyone.
    I’ve just got back from having a smear test and am feeling very anxious. I felt very anxious throughout the whole procedure but luckily for me the nurse was lovely. I kept thinking ‘what If I get abnormal cells, does it mean I have cancer? What if I get a call tonight or tomorrrow cause it’s bad news. The last test I had was April 2016 so I’m within the three year mark and as she was doing the rest, she said everything looked normal, nothing growing where it shouldn’t, no sign of polyps or bleeding. That eased my mind a bit. Has anyone had a bad smear result that hasn’t turned to cancer. How long does it take for the cancer to develop to die from it? My health anxiety is through the roof. Replies would really help me.

Re: Smear test

I know its WAY easier said than done (just went through this exact situation last week after my smear test, results came back just fine), but try and relax. The chances of it coming back abnormal are slim to none, especially since you are on schedule and your last one was fine. My Mom had abnormal cells MANY years ago when I was a kid, I'm 34. She had to have the leep procedure done and she's been fine ever since so it never turned into C.

I was in your exact situation this time last week.. the wait is horrible! I was convinced something was wrong just because I bled during/ after the test (doctor has since told me this is normal!) it’s been over two weeks and I’ve still not had my letter through but as I was anxious I went to the doctors last week and they already had the results.. all fine.

I had an abnormal smear 6 years ago (mild changes and HPV detected) I went for a colposcopy but no pre cancerous cells were found so I was just told to go back for a regular smear in 3 years (since then I’ve had two normal ones)

Having talked to my friends quite a few have also had abnormal smears (and all had normal ones since) . But that’s why it’s good to go every three years so they can catch any changes early. As much as I hate the wait for the results and it gives me terrible anxiety I know it’s something I have to do and will always do.

Much easier said than done (And I know this very well!) but try not to worry - if you’re up to date with your smears and the nurse said everything looked normal then I’m sure you will be just fine.
    Last edited by Rebecca10; 12-03-19 at 00:25.

Thank you both for your replies. I bled a bit this time but dunno if that’s cause this nurse presses harder or if it can happen? Obviously I’m now stressing loads but what can you do. I’m thinking that if cancer has started to come that it has only been three years since my last one and that hopefully they can catch it. I appreciate both your replies. Thanks x

I bled on mine and I never bled on my first two. I put this down to her being quite rough..(obviously I googled..)but actually it’s very common to bleed during and after. I spotted for about three days after it -which again I’ve never done before. Like others told me last week when I was in a state of panic it’s very rare that you would have fully blown cancer - I’ve been told and also read that it takes 10-15 years for abnormal cells to develop into cancer. If you have abnormal cells they’re easily treated -but hold onto the fact that you went 3 years ago (and had a normal result) and the nurse said your cervix looks normal and healthy. I think they can tell a lot just by looking at your cervix.

Honestly the wait is worse than the procedure for me - once it’s over you’ll feel a huge sense of relief!
    I know how hard it is to try and think rationally when you’re anxious about something like this - but again as others said to me - you’ve done the right thing by going and keeping up with your smear tests.

I totally understand how you are feeling! I had my smear test two weeks ago today, All have been normal up to this point but for some reason i tend to get myself in a bit of a tizzy when im waiting for results!

I was told the results could take up to 4 weeks, im only halfway through but praying i get them in the next few days or im going to turn into a basketcase!

We need to keep reminding ourselves we have done the right thing in attending our screenings

Me again but with some other issues

So today has been unbearable for me. I know lots of you may think it’s a joke that I’m worrying so much but my health anxiety can be quite bad at times. My man worry was bleeding a bit when I got home last night although it stopped after 15 mins. Wasn’t a lot. I’m worried if that’s signs of cervical cancer or my cervix being inflamed or something? Could the fact that I haven’t had sex for about 6/7 years also play a part in the bleed and why it hurt quite a bit. I’m scared the letter will arrive really soon and It won’t be good news. Can’t concentrate or anything. Sorry to post again, I know I can be a nuisance.

X

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Katy you sound exactly like I did this time last week..
    My main worry was that I bled and for theee days after it! Only light spotting but still.. not something I was used to. It’s completely normal I’ve been told - even google says it’s common haha. I also had period type cramps. I haven’t had sex for a number of years either so I put it down to that - as well as the nurse being a bit more rough.
    There’s not much I can say to you as I know the state I was in last week and it’s horrible but just keep in mind that your last one was normal and you were told everything looks normal! Also maybe ring your doctors next week to see if they have your result.. my letter still hasn't come and it’s been 16 days.. but when I visited my doctors on Friday they had the results on the screen x

Rebecca thanks for taking the time to reply to me. This evening I’ve googled alll about cervical cancer and I do go through bowel changes, was told I had ibs after blood tests ruled stuff out but part of cervical cancer can be bowed changes so now by anxiety is absolutely through the roof. I dunno what to think really. If I do have the onset of it, can it be treated? Would it have shown up three years ago if I did have it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information