Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smear test

Re: Smear test

Honestly if your worrying is getting out of hand like mine was go back to your doctors and explain you’re anxious - they should be able to reassure you as they’re the experts in all this. I’ve read and been told it’s very rare that anything could happen within those three years especially if your last test was normal -plus I haven’t heard of bowel changes being one of the major symptoms - I mean you’ve been told you have ibs so surely it’s that? I would go and see your doctor again - I hate that I wasted two weeks of my life panicking when I didn’t need to. X

I only had it yesterday and convinced I’ll have the letter by tomorrow anyway. Will keep you updated but thanks so much for talking to me x

Katy, it’s actually really common to bleed after a smear test. I think I have had six in total now and have had some sort of bleed after all of them.

I know it’s worrying but the cell changes that can sometimes lead to cervical cancer are slow to change, I think on average 10-15 yrs, having the smears every three or 5 yrs depending on age is geared towards catching it early and treating before anything nasty can develop.

IBS is actually really common too, I also have it and if I get all anxious and my anxiety kicks in I find my symptoms ramp up, pelvic pain etc. Like you I had blood tests and they come back clear.

I know it’s so hard waiting for results, I’m on day 14 today of my smear test, I think until we get our results it’s natural to worry a little but everything you have described I have had along with so many other females.

Keep your chin up! Xx

Thank you for your reply. Ciarad1. I will try my best not to worry but google has become my best friend. Anyway thanks again for your reply. X

I know it’s hard but try not to google! I have fallen into that trap before and most of the time it’s people posting horror stories that are actually extremely rare!

If you are really struggling see if your GP will see you or give you a call back.

Lots of us have been or are in the same boat at the moment so don’t feel you are on your own.

Xx

Hey guys! Today has been spent pretty much the same as yesterday. I’m just convinced that maybe during my last smear they didn’t detect cervical cancer and now I’m the minority where it would have spread aggressively. Also, why did I bleed after and why was it uncomfortable? Are they not all signs of something being wrong? X

Quote Originally Posted by katyfitz View Post
    Hey guys! Today has been spent pretty much the same as yesterday. I’m just convinced that maybe during my last smear they didn’t detect cervical cancer and now I’m the minority where it would have spread aggressively. Also, why did I bleed after and why was it uncomfortable? Are they not all signs of something being wrong? X
    Morning Katy

I’m pretty sure if something was wrong on your last smear it would have been picked up.

Lots of women experience bleeding during and after a smear, as well as it being uncomfortable. My nurse was telling me that she has ladies literally clam up and she has to abandon the smear because they are so tense or worried it’s painful for them.

Because of the health anxiety it’s easy to jump to the worst case scenario, one that is so unlikely!

I hope you have a better day today x

How long is before I should ring drs for my smear results

Hi everyone, it’s now in to the second week and still no results. Are having the results back later indication of them having to look further at stuff? If something bad showed would I have got a phone call from my dr. Because I had it done at a different drs I’m thinking no one has picked the results up yet or no one has sent my normal doctors it? Am I driving myself too mad?

Re: How long is before I should ring drs for my smear results

I saw yesterday that there is a bit of a backlog on results getting back due to the increased uptake on women having the test, but no harm in phoning.

Re: How long is before I should ring drs for my smear results

Quote Originally Posted by katyfitz View Post
    Hi everyone, it’s now in to the second week and still no results. Are having the results back later indication of them having to look further at stuff? If something bad showed would I have got a phone call from my dr. Because I had it done at a different drs I’m thinking no one has picked the results up yet or no one has sent my normal doctors it? Am I driving myself too mad?
    I had mine three weeks ago today, still waiting for results. I’m thinking that certain areas could have a backlog to get through.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information