Thread: Sudden, overwhelming anxiety about my Dad

Sudden, overwhelming anxiety about my Dad

Hi. It's just like the title says, really.

I am constantly worried about my family, particularly my Dad, as he is my only remaining parent, is 72 and not in great health. I worry generally throughout the day, and this is'normal' for me. I expect it. In the early hours of this morning though, I woke up after a dream needing to use the loo, and for no apparent reason that I could think of, I became overwhelmed with fear about my Dad, I was actually getting quite panicky about it and it took me ages to settle back to sleep afterwards.

The thing is, this fear seemed to come out of nowhere. I wasn't having a bad dream, about my Dad or anyone else in my family. When I do have bad dreams I know it was probably triggered by my anxiety for that person, and try not to let it worry me too much, so this makes no sense to me. I can't dismiss it because I'm worried that there's something more to it than just my anxiety this time. Has anyone else had this.

Re: Sudden, overwhelming anxiety about my Dad

I used to have terrible fear about my Dad’s health too. He was my remaining parent and I used to worry about him all the time. I’d worry if he didn’t answer the phone (once I even drove round to his house & peeked through the window to make sure he was ok).

I didn’t wake up and have panic attacks, but I do understand the fear.

I don’t know how to give advice apart from the fact that it’s your anxiety causing this, and dealing with the anxiety will help. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think those 'middle of the night' hours are among the worst for enabling our minds to come up with awful scenarios. People without anxiety disorders can feel the same so with our friendly companion whispering in our ears it's a double whammy.

Thank you both for your replies, they make so much sense to me. It's hard to dismiss your fears when they're about someone you care deeply for.

Quote Originally Posted by Linsey View Post
    Thank you both for your replies, they make so much sense to me. It's hard to dismiss your fears when they're about someone you care deeply for.
    It’s so hard to dismiss fears like that.
    At that time of the night I find distraction a big help x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information