View Poll Results: How long have you suffered from anxiety???

Voters
379. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 6 months

23 6.07%
  • Between 6 months and 2 years

69 18.21%
  • Between 2 years and 5 years

71 18.73%
  • Between 5 years and 10 years

61 16.09%
  • Between 10 years and 20 years

78 20.58%
  • Over 20 years

77 20.32%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long have you had anxiety for - POLL

How long have you had anxiety/panic for - POLL

Just curious to know how long we have all suffered from anxiety/panic attacks for?

Thanks for your time
    Last edited by Panic1971; 06-09-07 at 22:06.

Re: How long have you had anxiety for - POLL

Since July 11th 1998, although i can pinpoint certain points prior to that where i had major anxiety/panicky moments. I know this NOW because i am aware of how it feels, but at the time, i didn't.

..still, almost 10 years is a 1/3 of my life. Way too long.

x

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

4 months with panic attacks but all my life with OCD.

Don't suffer PA's anymore - told myself one day enough was enough, and they went away. I can feel them creeping back up from time to time but use self talk to talk myself out of them.

GAD followed though, and that was a nightmare. Couldn't talk myself out of being anxious. After changing doctors and ditching the SSRI's and Tricyclics my anxiety has gone. Still got the pills I've got to take each day though. I've reduced myself from 50mg / day to 10mg / day but I'm really afraid to not take them at all.

I've been told its all in the mind often enough - just wish my mind would listen.

Having said that my CBT came 8 months too late (already adjusted my thinking) and my Alcohol and Drugs referal led the lead Physchiatrist to have to consult with others after our interview.

Its good to know I suppose that if I could have sorted it myself then the top guys wouldn't have to hold a meeting for the way ahead.

At the mo its all about attitude. I'm in the same doodoo I was 12 months ago, but this time what will be will be. 12 months ago I was trying to keep control over everything, and thats where I think I went wrong. Whats the worse that can happen ? Certainly not what I have contemplated in the past. The worst is I still have a loving family, only material things may have changed. My family comes above the control these days, so no matter what I'm on a winner.

Its amazing what perspective can do. No-one else has changed just me. I'd like to say try it, its easy - I'd be lying if I did. Nothings easy, but being introveted to the exclusion of all else could have cost me a hell of a lot more. And I'm still selfish and self absorbed. I think I'm about 20 meters in the 110 hurdles - but I can see the end. I certainly don't care about winning the race, I just want to cross the finishing line.

Krakers.

P/A since 30th may 2007. but have probably had health anxiety since my early teens (since i started watching the news lol)

AND YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

p.s not too much though, be HAPPY

On and off for about 17 years - although i've had long stretches of time where i've been anxiety and panic attack free.

Quote Originally Posted by SammiB View Post
    P/A since 30th may 2007. but have probably had health anxiety since my early teens (since i started watching the news lol)
    And reading newspapers? I find The Times body and soul supplement on a Saturday particularly stressful!

Had first panic attack at 18 and im now 50. I didn't know it was a PA till years later through reading some books on nerves.When i had the first one i had been drinking heavy so i dont know if the drinking caused it or if i was anxious enough to make me drink too much too often.The years that followed were a cycle of alcohol ,hangovers,Valium.work,anxiety,alcohol, etc etc.I had my last drink on 30 June 07 and what followed that was the most horrendous panic and anxiety that i hav ever had. I was hospitalised and now take ssri's.The panic has got better but i have constant anxiety.I was off work for 8 weeks but plucked up the strength to get back.Its a struggle evry morning as my sleep patern is upside down.I wake in the night 3 or 4 times sweating and shaking.I just wonder how long this will go on.

Almost 19 Yrs But Alot Better Now Not Complety There Yet But Im Hoping To Do So Soon!!!!! Nice Post Kracker Good Attitude I Agree With You 100%.................

I've had anxiety all my life. Not good being a dude, mean't you were bullied a lot in school. But i had a lot of inner strenghth which got me through uni and a good few years of experience in a job. until 2 years, when it was robbed while working for a very stress inducing company.

Stuart

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information