Thread: Seizure/stroke fear

Seizure/stroke fear

I've had nerve issues for a while, nerve shaking specifically which are believed to be a deficiency. But today I had a very odd experience, I have healthy skepticsm when it comes to 'supernatural' stuff, I don't deny anyone their beliefs but I focus on logic first and foremost. Today I had an odd sensation happen to me, i felt disorientated slightly then a sudden strong smell hit me it was an aftershave of a relative that died years ago no one uses it, nothing had smelt prior and it didn't last long. I'm worried as olfactory hallucination is liked to brain issues and with the nerve issues I'm freaking out. Hope I don't sound ridiculous it's just an odd situation and I'm scared something is wrong with my brain.

Re: Seizure/stroke fear

True story.... Back in August of 2012, at the same time I was sick with a sinus infection and swollen glands, I was sitting in the living room and I suddenly smelled perfume. Best way to describe it was "old lady perfume" but it had such a familiar smell. This went on through August and into September. During that time I had seen the doctor, gotten antibiotics etc. I kept it to myself because well... I'm a skeptic too! I went away for a week on business the end of September and when I returned, upon speaking with my wife, find out she smelled it too! It stayed around until I was diagnosed and started treatment. A while later, I asked my Mom what perfume my Mom Mom (her mom) wore. She told me and yeah... My wife and I went to the store, found the perfume and it was the perfume we had been smelling in the house for over 3 months.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 14-03-19 at 00:51.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I actually think that’s really lovely. Like your brains way of sending you memories of your loved one. I’d find comfort in it I wouldn’t worry.

How are you now, tbot? I have a relative who has epilepsy and I recall that she mentioned to someone that before one of her seizures she suddenly smelled what seemed to be rotten meat. I read later on that it is common to feel something rotten. So I think you are ok! But did you ever get checked out? Just wanted to know.

thot

("Self-declared" brain tumour expert here, have obsessed over them for approaching 8 years - practically a decade I'll never get back, but such is life).

Olfactory hallucinations can be caused by many things, but the most important thing to rule out would be epilepsy. (Silent) Migraines can, and do, cause them as well. And certainly, olfactory hallucinations are likely to go under-reported, due to the fact most who experience them would be worried about being branded "insane" for reporting them (which wouldn't/shouldn't be the case).

For sure, if this is recurs in the same pattern e.g. disorientation followed by intense "phantom" smells, you'd need to have this investigated. Or phantom smells of any variety. There is a bit of a misconception on the internet that "phantom smells" will only smell of burnt rubber or toast - this is not the case. They can smell of anything your brain desires, essentially. Some people report roses, others fish, others burning rubber, others peanuts (yeah, weird I know), and others "a diplopod that's just died" (promise, Google it).

I don't really have any further advice (apart from avoid the "CBD oil" you can buy in the UK, it's about as effective as homeopathy IMHO e.g. not at all).

I believe in God myself, and I am open to "supernatural" happenings, but certainly should your symptoms recur, I'd feel happier knowing they were investigated, and nothing found than assuming as such....

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Thank you for your replies. I didn't get this specific symptom checked out, but am being seen for the ongoing nerve fasciculations, worried now are more around a spinal issue. If I'm sent back to neurology I will mention it, though it hasn't happened again since, thankfully.

If it hasn't happened since (and its what, six weeks ago now?) you can 100% move on from this reassured it's not a brain tumour

When these things are being caused by a brain tumour, the seizures can happen essentially a boundless number of times per day. But it's not uncommon to hear people with brain tumours having over TEN of these seizures every day. Once they start, they don't stop. They'll never decrease in frequency (treating brain tumour associated epilepsy is difficult even with surgical resection + anticonvulsants)

With epilepsy that's not caused by a brain lesion, they usually happen less frequently, although six weeks between seizures would be relatively uncommon.

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Thread Information