Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lymph node question

Lymph node question

Hiiiii!

Just looking for advice from anyone who may have been to a GP for something similar.....

Please could someone tell me how big a lymph node (specifically underarm in female, as I don’t know if this makes a difference) needs to be for a doctor to pay attention or even just to justify visiting a doctor.

Yes, I’m spiralling.

Thank yoooo
    Last edited by Limeslime; 15-03-19 at 09:13.

Re: Lymph node question

Normal underarm lymph nodes could be 2cm long, but only the length is not the most important thing..it has to be longer (minim.2x) than wider, it has to have hilus etc.

Thanks zebra.

So do you think I should go to the doctor with any palpable underarm lymph node or do we only go if it gets to a certain size?

I’d guess mine is about 5mm (basing that on it being half the width of my thumb nail) and quite circular and close to the surface.

I’ve been aware of it since early December and it hasn’t changed.

I know generally, anything under 1cm is considered normal, but I can feel other lymph nodes in my underarm which are only 1-2mm, so I’m just concerned that this one “stands out” from the rest.

I dunno. I’m trying to be logical but it’s like my brain is playing ping pong over whether this is normal or not.

I know no one can give medical advice, but any shared knowledge would really help!

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    Thanks zebra.

So do you think I should go to the doctor with any palpable underarm lymph node or do we only go if it gets to a certain size?

I’d guess mine is about 5mm (basing that on it being half the width of my thumb nail) and quite circular and close to the surface.

I’ve been aware of it since early December and it hasn’t changed.

I know generally, anything under 1cm is considered normal, but I can feel other lymph nodes in my underarm which are only 1-2mm, so I’m just concerned that this one “stands out” from the rest.

I dunno. I’m trying to be logical but it’s like my brain is playing ping pong over whether this is normal or not.

I know no one can give medical advice, but any shared knowledge would really help!
    I dont know but i would guess everything is ok if it didnt change since december...are you going for breast ultrasound every year? They also control the underarm lymph nodes..so if you had the us recently you are 100% fine..

No. In the UK you don’t get them til you’re 50!

Firstly, do you have a valid reason to be palpating your underarm nodes? Is there a personal or familial history of breast cancer that would make you need to check?

Secondly, (I learnt this from my ex, who is a medic) lymph nodes, when swollen, are felt easily. Ever notice how, if your doctor is checking your nodes, he or she is not pressing firmly? It's just a light touch really. If you can't feel your nodes by doing this, its unlikely they're swollen. As well, when nodes are swollen due to malignancy, they are rock hard, will feel matted and will not move. I think if this was really what you were feeling, your anxiety would have you off to A&E - not on NMP asking questions.

Of course, any lump or bump should be examined by your doctor (disclaimer lol)

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Thanks RadioGaga

To answer your question, I wasn’t searching for nodes when I found it. I was pinching the skin cos I have sinus tunnelling there after a skin infection a few months ago. I sometimes pinch the skin to remind myself that the lump left behind from the infection is just superficial. But by doing that, I found this node.
    I can’t feel it when I palpate with my fingers in the way that doctors do...only when I nip the skin can I feel it. I don’t know if that makes a difference or not?

I'll explain to you what he told me. I can remember this vividly as I was 19 at the time, had MASSIVE HIV anxiety and I was worried my nodes were swollen under my jaw.

(I can remember it like it was last night, sitting in the student flat)

When I pinched I could feel them, but not when I palpated as he told me. He told me swollen nodes are easily felt. I didn't believe him! I then came down with Strep throat a year later, and yeah he was right. swollen nodes are easily palpated. You don't have to "search" for them

​Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Thank you so much, that’s great advice!!!

So sorry to ask again....

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow to get this little lymph node checked out, but I really don’t want to have to go because I was only at the doctors 2 weeks ago!

So please, if anyone can save me the embarrassment of another GP visit by telling me if a little (size of half a pea), mobile lymph node near the surface, in the upper armpit area is normal - or if anyone has something similar?

I’ve been aware of it since December. I had it checked then, and the GP said it was normal. But it hasn’t gone down! (Nor has it got bigger)

I’m so confused!

I know that most lymph nodes are not concerning if they’re under 1cm....but what if, like mine, they stay that size and don’t shrink to the tiny size of the others around it. Is it still ok because it’s less than 1cm?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information