Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: completely convinced i have MS--and it and my symptoms are ruining my life

Vertigo/Balance problems are ruining my life...HELP

Please reply if you have ever experienced anything like this. My anxiety and depression is off the wall right now and it is all related to my balance problems. I had the flu/or a similar sickness around one month ago but was never treated for it. For the past three weeks (I am also three weeks postpartum and gave birth to a baby boy on 01-18) I have had vertigo and balance problems. I have a fullness in my ears and occasional ringing in my ears. The only medicine I have been taking is my daily Zoloft, Sudafed and meclizine that my OBGYN gave me for the dizziness. When I walk I feel as if I cannot walk straight and get very off balance. The whole room feels as if it’s spinning and I’m rocking on a boat. I go back to work in three weeks and feel as if I cannot even function now let alone work. I can’t even walk straight!!! I have a panic and anxiety disorder and now I have a fear of going anywhere because I feel like I look stupid for not being able to do something as simple as walking. I am trying to get into a doctor to be seen ASAP. I also have always had health anxiety and I fear that the cause of this balence problem is sinister and I am fearing the worst. Brain tumor, stroke, MS etc. this is making caring for a newborn almost impossible and I feel like my life is being ruined. I am beyond miserable because I am fearing the worst and don’t know why this is happening to me.

Re: Vertigo/Balance problems are ruining my life...HELP

I've struggled with Vertigo / Balance issues since I was 16 years old. I'm 36 now, so 20 years. I've learned to manage it with vestibular therapy (like physical therapy but for vertigo / balance issues) and calm deep breaths. The worst of this is that panic/anxiety can definitely increase the symptoms.

I would recommend getting checked, but many times these are benign symptoms (more often than not, due to migraine syndrome, inner ear disorders, etc) rather than something sinister.

Once checked and you're shown to be okay, do some deep breathing and try to focus on anything else - find a focal point in the room, stare into it, and relax. Know that the very worst thing that can happen is - you will fall. And that's not that bad! I 100% understand the panic and the fear behind vertigo, it's definitely scary, but know that you WILL overcome this, regardless of what is behind it, because there are so many coping techniques out there to help!

hi. first of all congratulations on your baby . I have been suffering with vertigo and balance issues at varying levels of severity for years. it's been worse since having my baby a year ago and last 3 weeks have been particularly bad. I'm hoping the worse dizziness I've been getting last 3 weeks is a virus or something and itll get better but it really does make everything so hard. I also work and it's a struggle but remember i just seem to keep on going and if it gets worse I'll have to go off sick. doc forsnt seem interested or able to help. I haven't tries vestibular therapy. might look into that. let me know if you find anything that works. I had epley maneuvere done once which seemed to help but doc hadn't offered it again, i think they dont know how to do it!

Sorry to hear about your worries :( congrats on the baby, hope he is doing well.
    I understand your fear since I also have vertigo, it usually comes on when I'm stressed or have a migraine.
    Vertigo can be caused by alot of things, 97% or so of those are benign.
    A brain tumour/stroke would definitely be more apparent. Your body would let you know if something is wrong

But in my head I can’t help but think something IS wrong because of how quickly my symptoms came on and the severity of them. I’ve developed agoraphobia because of the balance problems and don’t know how I can go back to work

Quote Originally Posted by Js2019 View Post
    But in my head I can’t help but think something IS wrong because of how quickly my symptoms came on and the severity of them. I’ve developed agoraphobia because of the balance problems and don’t know how I can go back to work
    I 100% understand the agoraphobia and also the fear that something is dreadfully wrong. Once you're seen by a doctor you'll feel better, but I will say that my neurologists over the years have never been panicked or rushed in any way - if it's something sinister, they go through the proper channels and have the proper testing done. Something like vertigo is most likely very benign, but even if it's not, keep in mind that it's unlikely an emergency situation - it just FEELS like it is, because of the panic making the vertigo even worse.

I was agoraphobic for quite awhile. I quit college because of vertigo (I eventually went back and got my Masters degree). I wouldn't go into big box stores (think: walmart, costco, etc) because the lights/spacial disturbances bothered me so.

Eventually, with the help of vestibular therapy and breathing exercises, I've been able to overcome that. But it won't come overnight.

Vertigo is debilitating, for sure. But you CAN beat it, regardless of what's causing it. And know that most of the time, it's not sinister at all, but an inner ear disorder (BPPV is super common and comes on so fast!), low blood pressure, hormonal imbalance, migraine syndrome, anxiety, etc etc. Keep your chin up, and know that you will be able to get out there again. You will.

Thank you so much, you’re experience is very helpful! I am wondering if it’s related to my inner ear because I was sick for those couple of weeks before labor and I actually spiked a fever during labor that was never treated with antibiotics because it went down after my son was born. Going to big box stores is the worst for me and I’m not sure why!! The lights and everything just seems to throw my balence off and I get kind of out of it? I have been having a lot of out of body feelings, any experience with that? This issue just makes it hard to function and being someone with health anxiety as it is...it’s honestly just hard to function. Plus a newborn...ugg

I’m currently dealing with a similar situation. 1-2 seconds of dizziness a few times a day. Then I panic and become irritable bc I’m scared of why it’s happening. My ENT said it wasn’t fluid in my ears and scared me by saying dizziness is serious so see you primary. I went Tuesday to see my primary and she wasn’t bothered by it at all. She said if it were tumor or stroke I’d have vomiting, nausea, tingling and weakness. That helped me until I felt dizzy today. I was using the camera on my phone to take pictures in portrait mode of my son. My husband thinks the motion gave me motion sickness bc I left the camera on and kept lifting it up off the table to take pictures. I’m so scared it’s something terrible and it’s making me feel like a bad mom bc I’m short with my son. I’m currently hiding in my room crying letting my husband do the bedtime routine. I told my counselor about this and she did say dizziness is a symptom of anxiety, what’s terrifying is that a lot of anxiety symptoms are sinister symptoms. ��

Based on the ringing, fullness and spinning dizziness (vertigo).... I'm taking an educated stab at this and saying inner ear related. Tinnitus is a telltale sign of inner ear issues, especially directly after a flu.

I know how you feel, OP. (well besides the baby part). I've had balance problems since Feb 5 of last year. It came on suddenly for me as well. It sucks. I'm in a pretty manageable place right now thankfully. I wish you didn't have to deal with it.

Gailveronica is 100% correct here. I wish she didn't have to know all about this stuff either! Her recommendations are perfect. Vestibular rehab (I've been through two rounds of it), and calming the anxiety. Two best things you can do.

This is highly unlikely to be a serious medical problem. I sure thought I was about to die too so I can't blame you for thinking it is! But it isn't. It's probably an inner ear thing. Since you've recently been sick it could be labrynthitis/vestibular neuritis. Maybe it's vestibular migraine as Gail brought up (one of my diagnosed possibilities). There are special tinted glasses that can help if it's a migraine thing.

The big box stores become a problem for a couple of reasons. One, agoraphobia of course. But also it's a physical thing - the flourescent lighting overtaxes a challenged vestibular system, as do the moving crowds of people. It's not a coincidence. One thing I've done a lot these past few months is purposely walk around the mall (absolutely unthinkable when it first happened) because it's kind of a tough training technique now.

But first, if you haven't yet, see an ENT to do the checks. You might need to go to a neurologist but not because it's serious. If you've been taking meclizine this whole time, I also recommend asking the ENT if you should still take it. Meclizine is really only supposed to be good for short use, and extended use of it will actually prevent your vestibular system for compensating and it will take longer to improve.

And lastly, don't beat yourself up over becoming anxious and/or depressed. It comes with the territory. Take it one day at a time or even just one activity at a time. Do what you can do, in most vestibular problems, being as active as possible helps compensate better/faster.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

P.S. I noticed you're in the USA from your profile. For vestibular rehab, I advise against going to a big "chain" therapy place like an Athletico. They aren't trained in VRT well. (I know first-hand!) Look for a legitimate therapy facility that specializes in vestibular rehab (this may be harder to find if you're not in a big city)

Feel free to keep us posted. I'd be more than happy to share anything I know if it will help someone. At least that will make my experience have some good come out of it! LOL
    Last edited by jray23; 08-02-19 at 02:46.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information