Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: completely convinced i have MS--and it and my symptoms are ruining my life

Re: Vertigo/Balance problems are ruining my life...HELP

Quote Originally Posted by jray23 View Post
    I know how you feel, OP. (well besides the baby part). I've had balance problems since Feb 5 of last year. It came on suddenly for me as well. It sucks. I'm in a pretty manageable place right now thankfully. I wish you didn't have to deal with it.

Gailveronica is 100% correct here. I wish she didn't have to know all about this stuff either! Her recommendations are perfect. Vestibular rehab (I've been through two rounds of it), and calming the anxiety. Two best things you can do.

This is highly unlikely to be a serious medical problem. I sure thought I was about to die too so I can't blame you for thinking it is! But it isn't. It's probably an inner ear thing. Since you've recently been sick it could be labrynthitis/vestibular neuritis. Maybe it's vestibular migraine as Gail brought up (one of my diagnosed possibilities). There are special tinted glasses that can help if it's a migraine thing.

The big box stores become a problem for a couple of reasons. One, agoraphobia of course. But also it's a physical thing - the flourescent lighting overtaxes a challenged vestibular system, as do the moving crowds of people. It's not a coincidence. One thing I've done a lot these past few months is purposely walk around the mall (absolutely unthinkable when it first happened) because it's kind of a tough training technique now.

But first, if you haven't yet, see an ENT to do the checks. You might need to go to a neurologist but not because it's serious. If you've been taking meclizine this whole time, I also recommend asking the ENT if you should still take it. Meclizine is really only supposed to be good for short use, and extended use of it will actually prevent your vestibular system for compensating and it will take longer to improve.

And lastly, don't beat yourself up over becoming anxious and/or depressed. It comes with the territory. Take it one day at a time or even just one activity at a time. Do what you can do, in most vestibular problems, being as active as possible helps compensate better/faster.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

P.S. I noticed you're in the USA from your profile. For vestibular rehab, I advise against going to a big "chain" therapy place like an Athletico. They aren't trained in VRT well. (I know first-hand!) Look for a legitimate therapy facility that specializes in vestibular rehab (this may be harder to find if you're not in a big city)

Feel free to keep us posted. I'd be more than happy to share anything I know if it will help someone. At least that will make my experience have some good come out of it! LOL
    Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry you've dealt with this, too! It really can be a nightmare, and it's definitely scary. No one understands, either, when I used to say "I'm dizzy." In high school, my mom forced me to go to school (I'm glad she did, but it was so hard) and even as I got older, the dizziness was never understood by friends/family (or even doctors!). It was more than just the room spinning - it was a feeling of head fullness, shakiness, extreme heat, panic, trembling, etc etc.

I totally understand how everyone with vertigo feels, and i understand how debilitating it can be. It's a lot to take in, and it's a full-body feeling of discomfort and terror. Learning to cope with it has been the best thing I've been able to do. I'm even flying again (I refused to get on a plane for a long time)! Time is the best way to overcome this dreaded symptom.

Re: Vertigo/Balance problems are ruining my life...HELP

Congrats on flying again! I actually had to fly on two trips in just the first 6 weeks last year, ironically the flights actually calmed my symptoms down temporarily! Being in the airport before though...total hell! lol

To the OP, I just want to clarify that by no means are we suggesting that your symptoms will be longterm. Most times these symptoms resolve within a couple weeks or months at most. You'll get through it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Vestibular problems ruining my life

For the past month I have had a terrible acute attack of vertigo. I am very unsteady on my feet and I feel as if I am rocking back and forth even if I am standing still. This has created extreme anxiety for me and is making life almost impossible. I return from maternity leave in a week and a half and do not know how I can perform my job (on my feet all day working in a hospital) because of how off my balance is. This improved for a few days while I was on a steroid pack from my doctor but now is back full swing. Does anyone have any advice or has ever had vertigo to this extent? My ears are also extremely full of pressure and hurt from time to time during this. I sometimes hear ringing in my ears as well and hearing is sometimes muffled

Re: Vestibular problems ruining my life

I think you need to return to your doctor and find out what is causing the vertigo. It sounds like, from what you are writing here, that there is a physiological reason for it (if the steroids worked) and a diagnosable vestibular disorder. Did your PCP give any idea what they thought the cause might be? I know people can feel unsteady from anxiety, as the delicate balance muscles in ears, face, and eyes.....are affected by stress and tension, but do you feel its anxiety in its origins or something causing it? It sounds absolutely horrible, what you are describing.

brain tumor/MS fears controlling my life

I am writing because my health anxiety is through the roof because my physical symptoms are driving me crazy. For the past month I have had vertigo almost 24/7. When I stand still I feel as if I am rocking on a boat. Big box stores, like grocery shopping and the mall, are debilitating now because the bright lights and all the sensory information drives me vertigo into overdrive and I am very off balance and dizzy. This vertigo came on suddenly 1 month ago. Around that time I was sick...and have been sick ever since. I have a deviated septum and am prone to sinus infections. My ears are extremely clogged and I feel pain and so much pressure. I am also very congested and have been having ringing in my ears. Sometimes it feels like I am underwater and my hearing has been a little strange. I went to my PCP the other day and am now on strong antibiotics and oral steroids and 3 different nasal sprays. She said my ears are full of fluid and red and my ear drum is "sucked back" (not really sure what that means). But both ears are equally as bad. She did a balance test and when I close my eyes and stand still my body tilts almost to compensate. Standing still really bothers me because of that rocking sensation. This vertigo is just debilitating and ruining my life. I go back to work in 1 week from maternity leave and dont know how I can work a hospitsl job in which I am on my feet for 8 hours a day. I also have nystagmus? Which is involuntary jerky eye movements that can accompany vertigo. I am very upset because I already have health anxiety and have convinced myself I have a tumor or MS. I asked my PCP if she thinks this is a neurological issue and she believes its an inner ear/vestibular disorder because of my ear problems. I also had a brain mri a year and a hald ago that was clear that gave her peace of mind. I am just at my wits end at this point and my life feels like its compromised. Anyone with experience with this????

Re: brain tumor/MS fears controlling my life

Lots and lots of experience with this - except; I've never had a clear brain MRI. That being said, I've never been diagnosed with a brain tumor or MS either (not yet, anyhow!). I have white matter lesions on my brain that seem to come and go. If you had anything like that, your doctor would be aware and would be pursuing more diagnostic options. Vertigo is super debilitating, and I totally understand. My ears always feel full and I always have vertigo. But the good news for you is - your brain MRI was clear, so your issues are most likely inner ear. Have you tried vestibular rehab? It's really helped me. If you don't have a facility near you, you can look up exercises online to do to help adjust to the vertigo. It doesn't take it away, but it lessens the fear of it.

Re: brain tumor/MS fears controlling my life

IN BRIEF: This is not a brain tumour. Period.

Brain tumours can, and do, cause dizziness/vertigo. However, not really in the sense you describe.

It would start off with vertigo, but nausea and vomiting wouldn't be long coming behind it. You've had these symptoms for 1 month+. By now, if this was caused a brain tumour, your symptoms would have deteriorated severely. You WOULD NOT be on here posting. You'd likely be unconscious in a hospital bed.

By reading your post, it seems your doctor has very much so established a 'cause and effect' for your symptoms.

But, to reassure you, I would happily bet my career/bank balance on it that you do NOT have a brain tumour.

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

constantly off balance

I am posting as this has been an ongoing issue for me for the past 6 weeks. I had an acute attack of vertigo around 4 years ago and I remember it lasted about a month before it went away and got better. I had to stop going to school for about 2 weeks when it happened. My ENT ran tests and I had a brain MRI and they concluded it was a very bad inner ear infection that caused my vertigo. I honestly forgot about vertigo for a while UNTIL NOW
    I had my son 6 weeks ago and this is when my symptoms all started. I was sick before and during labor with a nasty cold/flu symptoms/sinus infection. One day I woke up and was so off balance. I cannot stand still as I sway from side to side. Standing straight and still is impossible. Closing my eyes and standing also sends my balance out of control.
    Other symptoms: my ears are constantly full of pressure, my ears hurt, i have ringing in my ears and sometimes the fullness causes my hearing to sound funny.
    I was seen by my PCP and she prescribed steroids and antibiotics but the balance problem and vertigo is still constant. im going to a chiropractor to help as i have bad cervical spine problems and seeing an ENT tomorrow to hopefully try and start diagnosing what is wrong with me. my PCP suggested vestibular physical therapy at a balance clinic nearby.
    having health anxiety, my mind obviously is convinced something is seriously wrong w/ me and this will never go away and i will forever have balance problems. i go back to work next week and have no idea how i can even work if i am so off balance. i wish there was a magical pill to take for constant vertigo.
    anyone with suggestions? experience in this? i am at my witts end and have become extremely depressed and feel like my balance disorder, whatever is causing it, is ruining my life. i don't even like to go in public anymore.

central vertigo diagnosis

has anyone ever had a diagnosis of "central vertigo". ive convinced myself i have a brain tumor. i have contant spinning (vertigo) and off balance when standing. please help. i am beside myself at this point and becoming very depressed because i cant live a normal life.

Re: central vertigo diagnosis

Just want to say you're not alone. I've been suffering with dizziness for a couple of months so know how deliberating it is. If you to talk give me message

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information