Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I blanked out on my own city?! Scared!

Does anyone else get brain zaps WITHOUT medication?

Or are brain zaps not a result of anxiety...just anxiety meds. I get brain zaps but have never taken any meds.

Re: Does anyone else get brain zaps WITHOUT medication?

Quote Originally Posted by Meriland30 View Post
    Or are brain zaps not a result of anxiety...just anxiety meds. I get brain zaps but have never taken any meds.
    Many people who have autoimmune conditions can get 'brain zaps' but usually when they have flares. This is when I get them.
    I don't know if anxiety causes 'brain zaps' but people coming off anxiety meds can certainly get them.

I have had brain zaps when feeling anxious, and I don't take any medication.

Yes I have posted regarding this several times.

Im not on ADs or any other med for anxiety, but get these horrible sensations occasionally.

IMHO, it is caused by surges of adrenaline. Also possibly triggered by caffeine or alcohol use

Good luck

I get them occasionally, and did so before I went on medication. I haven't been able to work out if they are triggered by anything specific. But I don't worry about them; I believe they're quite common.

Yes, I get them when I'm tired or run down. Add a little bit of anxiety in there and it's zap time! I worry about it being due to some kind of autoimmune/neuro issue, but I've had them for years and years without them getting any worse.

Does anyone get this kind of memory loss/confusion?

For the past 2 years I have been convinced I had ALS, AIDS, Pancreatic Cancer, Fatal Insomnia, Parasites, Ear Cancer, Intestinal Gangrene, etc. Now, for the past month I have been worried about Creutzfeldt Jakob's Disease (dementia that kills you in months) I initially worried about it cause of a bout of depersonalization..and found it was a symptom so I was stuck on it. Then that went away and some other symptom would come about...like tremor or forgetting the name of something. Both those resolved a few weeks ago but yesterday.. I noticed something different...I got 'confused'. For instance. I was in the bath and couldn't remember which faucet handle was cold/hot. Like I thought about it before I did it BECAUSE I was nervous about how worried I'd be if I picked the wrong one. I turned on the left handle thinking it was hot water but it was cold water... then I got scared. After my bath, I checked my weight on a beam scales (which I use a lot) and the notch bit on the end (that you use to determine whether to move the slider down or up) was down and I questioned whether I move the slider up or down to balance it out. I figured it out pretty quick and it was like a 'duh' moment.. but for that 1 second, I forgot. So I panicked. I also was watching Family Feud and the question of "what is something your mother let you do, that your wife won't" and I kept confusing it with "something your mom didn't let you do that your wife does". I also confused a goat for a donkey...and an otter for a beaver. Last week I was playing poker online (which I do all the time) and it came to my bet and I got totally confused for a second..like I had 100k chips and the bet was 2k and for some reason I questioned what 2k was..I just stared and contemplated it (isnt that odd?) It is a fast paced game, each player has 5 seconds hold/fold. I obviously figured it out right away..but for that second, I was lost! Afterward i panicked and did an online mathematics test (algebra, geometry, percentages, etc) to make sure my brain was working right...and my answers were almost always right (and i did every single equation in my head...i didn't use paper or a calc at all). Today I had 1 thing happen, my husband got some Pad Thai today and mine had these unique, awesome, 1 inch wide homemade noodles in it, they kinda looked like pieces of dough. Tons of bean sprouts, white onions, meat, etc. I acknowledged the noodles before i started eating...right? I was sitting with my husband, watching tv and I bit into a bean sprout thinking it was a small noodle...but it was crunchy, so i dug my fork to find the noodles underneath and then it hit me.. I realized I totally just blanked out on the fact I had the homemade noodles already in it. It was a total duh moment.

Now I am flipping myself out thinking I ACTUALLY have sporadic CJD..and the only way to diagnose it is a post-mortem. I am only 31.

Re: Does anyone get this kind of memory loss/confusion?

I have had the unpleasure of watching three people deteriorate with dementia, all of different ages and different ways it affected them. The one thing that they all shared though is that they weren’t aware of the cognitive issues.

The fact that you’re hyper aware of these things is more than likely causing more of them, not to mention being anxious in general is enough to notice an issue in focus and awareness.

We all have brain fart moments and I would say people with anxiety are more likely to have them too, anxious thoughts are already ‘faulty’ thoughts if you will, it’s no surprise that with all that going on that we can forget things.

Your awareness of this makes it very hard to believe that there’s anything to worry about.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight-mouse View Post
    I have had the unpleasure of watching three people deteriorate with dementia, all of different ages and different ways it affected them. The one thing that they all shared though is that they weren’t aware of the cognitive issues.

The fact that you’re hyper aware of these things is more than likely causing more of them, not to mention being anxious in general is enough to notice an issue in focus and awareness.

We all have brain fart moments and I would say people with anxiety are more likely to have them too, anxious thoughts are already ‘faulty’ thoughts if you will, it’s no surprise that with all that going on that we can forget things.

Your awareness of this makes it very hard to believe that there’s anything to worry about.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your response and I am sorry you had to watch those people deteriorate from dementia.

What you say makes sense...I just question the extent of "memory issues" that can be caused by anxiety. I worry that the memory issues I listed are too big to constitute as anxiety/stress related. People with anxiety that complain about memory issues don't get confused, they just don't pay attention...like forgetting your keys are in your hand, or putting coffee in your cereal or forgetting what you went into a room for...these are normal and all the posts I see from anxiety ridden people are like that. Not like mine. I like stare at something and momentarily dont understand what I am looking at...

Quote Originally Posted by Meriland30 View Post
    I like stare at something and momentarily dont understand what I am looking at...
    This happens to me, and I just put it down to being preoccupied/tired/stressed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information