Thread: Anxious about who I am.

Anxious about who I am.

Hi,
    I have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube ( I don't go out much) I have really bad anxiety so sometimes I stay home a lot.
    The thing is the more videos I watch, I find myself doing things that I see on social media. Regarding clothing, what I wear, my apartment decoration and even hobbies. I look around and my place looks like everyone on social medias. I buy things for hobbies to try and I don't do the hobby.. I have a feeling that I don't like the things I buy or wear or even have the patience for the hobbies in the first place, but the thing is I don't really know what I like, or who I am. Is this normal?

Re: Anxious about who I am.

I think everyone feels like this from time to time, especially when anxiety and/or depression rear their ugly heads.

It's okay not to know, though.

I definitely think this sounds familiar! In fact, I'm sure many people feel like this day to day and never even realise it Could you consider maybe going on a social media detox? Perhaps this would reassure you that your choices are your choices, whether or not they are inspired by things you see around you.

This is a big issue with people that have been abused, I don't know who I am, I was always told to act a certain way, do certain things, don't do this, don't do that, etc, everyone has this problem I think, but more common in abused people, and we see people on youtube with all these cute clothing, gadgets, doing things we wish we can do and we see that they are happy and having fun and we want that so we try to recreate it, there is nothing wrong with it at all. I am slowly backing away from social media, and not spending so much time online, I am 46 years old and I am wanting to get a tattoo, not because it's the trend but because mine will have a deep special meaning for me, I want to color my hair a color or colors that are not me at all, as I have always worn my hair long and the same color I was born with, never changing it,

Thread Information