Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anaesthetic Fears

Anaesthetic Fears

So one of my biggest fears for the longest time has been anesthetic (long before health anxiety, the idea of being out of control scares me so much). On Wednesday I have to get anaesthetic for the placement in of the coil. They haven't told me if it's general or local yet. Both scare me. I have to have it as they tried to place it in before but due to reason the pain meant it has to come to this.

I had a scan that showed some cysts, I was able to take that knowledge well. In the last few days I've been having issues there again- I know it's probably just begging hyper-aware .

A another big issue is...I've been heart worries for so long. The idea of the anesthetic- I know it's so stuipd to worry about the two of these being mixed and causing some type of huge issue :( Like even today I felt strange, shortness of breath, just light-head, strange pain in my back on the left hand side etc etc- so strange. I'm worried it's all going to go wrong. I know I'm only 22 and my Doctor has listened to my heart loads and said it's all good. I know it's stuipd to worry....yet here I am!

I know this is a good step, I've been having period issues and this is going to help me out. Just alot of fear leading up to it, my therapist told me it's okay to be scared sometimes but to also see the reason in things! Like allow myself to have the scary thought but then talk myself around it. Like for example, a few days ago I notice one side of my stomach sticks out more then the other. Normally I would freak out- But I reminded myself bodies aren't perfect and it's okay to have different lumps and bumps!

Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to voice some thoughts. Not goggle horror stores about fears I already have lol!

Re: Anaesthetic Fears

I wouldn't think they would do general anaesthetic to put a coil in to be honest.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Agree, I've never heard of anyone having a GA for a coil placement. In all probability it will be local, which won't be so bad when you think about it because you will be fully present in the room.

Anticipatory anxiety is the pits. It will soon be over....time never stands still. Hope it goes well for you.

Ghost…Spillways

I have a fear of local anesthetic because I fear the loss of control and feeling of a part of my body. General isn't bad as you're knocked out within 5 seconds but I don't think they use GA for coils as others have said. Local anesthetic is nothing to worry about though. Last time I had it was when I broke my hand. They numbed my entire hand was quite surreal tbh.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Hi all! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I had it placed in today! I actually ended up having to have general anesthesia (for alot of reasons I won't get into here)

So I went in the morning and I'm now currently at home! I'm feeling worse for wear, pain, snugglish and lingering headache. I made my Mam take the page with the side effects so I wouldn't be to worried and re-resding them. They told me about things to watch out for like high temperatures, very bad pain.

Of course my anixety is in high drive, I napped earlier and my heart was RACING but they took my heart rate and blood pressue loads today and let me go. My family were amazing, the nurse staff were amazing. When they brought me the toast and tea.... I don't think I've ever been so happy to see food!

I did tell the anesthetic I was worried and it was my first time. He sat with me and explaining alot to me. When I was going under... I was so scared! The last thing I remember was him telling it was going to be okay and there wasn't a countdown or maybe I missed it! I woke up and a nurse looking after me!

I have to see my own gp in six weeks and they consult who placed in the coil wants to see me in three months! They took some samples, he said it all looked good but just did it because they were excuse me if this sounds rough but I'm not great at phrasing (up there).

It was a huge fear of mine and at one point I thoight I was gonna run- but I manged to go through with it !

I popped back on to see if you'd managed to go through with it and see that you have.....HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! AS someone who also had to 'face the biggest fear' ( A GA) a few years ago, I know how much strength and effort that took you.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I popped back on to see if you'd managed to go through with it and see that you have.....HUGE CONGRATULATIONS! AS someone who also had to 'face the biggest fear' ( A GA) a few years ago, I know how much strength and effort that took you.
    Thank you so much Carys ! I did feel very dramatic and like I was fearing nothing that bad but I have to say I was so, so lucky with all the nurses and doctors who took care of me! I'm so happy I manged to go through with it and I'll be able to tell my therapist that on Monday! I'm not feeling to shady today....of course I'm using it as a excuse to have a sofa day today!

Aw, congratulations! Sounds as though you did great!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Aw, congratulations! Sounds as though you did great!
    Thank you so much

My cramping/pain is alot worse today then it was yesterday ! I've taken some pain killers but they don't seem to be working to go! Hopefully this all passes on soon enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information