Thread: shouldnt of read that sertraline article

shouldnt of read that sertraline article

So i have been on sertraline for at least 2 yrs now and i read an article in the sun newspaper (uk daily newspaper) and it said that sertraline could be linked to heart issues, and well my biggest anxiety symptom has always surrounded my heart and has for years and years now. So this has freaked me right out and now i am thinking if i should come of them
    Why oh why did i read it

Re: shouldnt of read that sertraline article

It's so hard to avoid triggers sometimes! You've been on it for 2 years with no issues, which is a pretty good way to convince yourself that you're handling the meds fine with no ill effects. But, the best thing to do if you're concerned is to call your doctor and talk it over. I would not stop taking them without a doctor's advice.

I just googled and the headlines are soooo sensationalist! Two people have had heart attacks while on the drug - TWO! And in both deaths the coroner has not ruled that the medication caused the deaths. It's all speculation with no scientific backing.

I wondered how long it would be before someone posted regarding this on here. I'm not going to lie - I didn't read the article (only the headline), but in true "The Sun" style and fashion, it was sensationalism at its "best".

I think it said there were two deaths linked to Sertraline, from memory? Yet there are literally thousands upon thousands of people on this in the UK alone. I could be wrong on that - it may have been more than two, but even if this were so, there has been no official update from the MHRA, Department of Health etc.

I'm always careful what I say on here, as I wouldn't want to invoke anxiety or fear in anyone, but even paracetamol has been linked to deaths. For example, it can cause Stevens-Johnson syndrome, but again this is VERY rare and chances are you (or anyone else reading this) wouldn't really think twice about "popping" paracetamol. And rightly so - the risk is so astonishingly low.

Either way, do not stop taking this medication without first consulting your doctor.

In the meantime, I wouldn't panic unduly about this. There could be other lifestyle factors at play here. People who are depressed (or anxious) may have other cardiac risk factors e.g. they might drink alot of alcohol or smoke heavily to deal with stress. There could also be illicit drug use. But two cases wouldn't be enough to quantify as a "cause and effect"

Good luck
    Last edited by RadioGaGa; 18-03-19 at 22:20.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...89#post1863789

This thread might help dispel fears of this "non-story"

Never Surrender, Comrade

I was on Sertraline for depression after my 1st heart attack. My doctors were not concerned about my heart nor was I

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...89#post1863789This thread might help dispel fears of this "non-story"
    ^ Yes, read what we are saying in this thread. They are click bait articles that haven't addressed some major elephants in the room e.g. why someone had dangerous levels of the drug in their blood.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    I wondered how long it would be before someone posted regarding this on here. I'm not going to lie - I didn't read the article (only the headline), but in true "The Sun" style and fashion, it was sensationalism at its "best". I think it said there were two deaths linked to Sertraline, from memory? Yet there are literally thousands upon thousands of people on this in the UK alone. I could be wrong on that - it may have been more than two, but even if this were so, there has been no official update from the MHRA, Department of Health etc.I'm always careful what I say on here, as I wouldn't want to invoke anxiety or fear in anyone, but even paracetamol has been linked to deaths. For example, it can cause Stevens-Johnson syndrome, but again this is VERY rare and chances are you (or anyone else reading this) wouldn't really think twice about "popping" paracetamol. And rightly so - the risk is so astonishingly low.Either way, do not stop taking this medication without first consulting your doctor. In the meantime, I wouldn't panic unduly about this. There could be other lifestyle factors at play here. People who are depressed (or anxious) may have other cardiac risk factors e.g. they might drink alot of alcohol or smoke heavily to deal with stress. There could also be illicit drug use. But two cases wouldn't be enough to quantify as a "cause and effect"Good luck
    With your knowledge I think you would easily blow holes in the story. The coroner disagrees in one case. Without reading coroner's reports it's impossible to know what led up to these events. It's like saying paracetamol was linked in the case of someone who died due to what an overdose caused.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I must read the story - but generally I avoid reading anything in the sun as usually its in stark contrast to the headlines!

Quote Originally Posted by eddy1608 View Post
    So i have been on sertraline for at least 2 yrs now and i read an article in the sun newspaper (uk daily newspaper) and it said that sertraline could be linked to heart issues, and well my biggest anxiety symptom has always surrounded my heart and has for years and years now. So this has freaked me right out and now i am thinking if i should come of them
    Why oh why did i read it
    My doc said sert was the only one I could take because I have heart issues???

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thread Information