Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain - worrying

Bit gross but just need some reassurance

Hi,
    My anxiety must be bad at the moment as I posted on here about my breast rash the other week. Doctor said it was nothing to worry over and gave some steroid cream and it's looking better. But I've got worried over something else. Again sorry for tmi! I had my period last week, and one night I had quite a few drinks. I must have forgotten I had a tampon in, and found it the next morning. Since then I'm obsessed there might be another one lost up there. I have weird aches in the top of my thighs sort of like when I used to have cramps (I don't get cramp anymore since taking the pill). I don't know if I'm imagining the pains or if they're real. I keep trying to find another tampon up there, again so sorry for tmi! But can't feel anything. Could it disappear? Not sure what to do.

Thanks!

Re: Bit gross but just need some reassurance

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    Hi,
    My anxiety must be bad at the moment as I posted on here about my breast rash the other week. Doctor said it was nothing to worry over and gave some steroid cream and it's looking better. But I've got worried over something else. Again sorry for tmi! I had my period last week, and one night I had quite a few drinks. I must have forgotten I had a tampon in, and found it the next morning. Since then I'm obsessed there might be another one lost up there. I have weird aches in the top of my thighs sort of like when I used to have cramps (I don't get cramp anymore since taking the pill). I don't know if I'm imagining the pains or if they're real. I keep trying to find another tampon up there, again so sorry for tmi! But can't feel anything. Could it disappear? Not sure what to do.

Thanks!
    They can not ‘disappear’ no. I think it’s safe to say that there aren’t anymore ‘lost’ there. Especially as you’ve checked.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Ha, I've had the 'have I left one in there' tampon fear more than once in my life! I did once insert one ontop of another about 30 years ago and it pushed one really high up, and my brain still can't forget it lol. They say the best way to check is to 'bear down' (is that the right sort of bear/bare?) , crouched and insert your finger then, as if one is still inside you it could have been pushed right up to the larger area around the cervix and can turn sideways. This physical position pushes the uterus downwards and shortens the vagina (to make the reach less). The tip of your finger would feel something if it was there, if you move in a circle with the end of your finger. The other thing is, if one was left behind you would get an unpleasant discharge, and if this isn't happening, then I think its safe to say you don't have one there. They don't disappear, and they can't get lost, as they can go no higher than your cervix.

I’ve had this fear too and ended up seeing a nurse who did a quick check. She also told me she’s sees a lot of women with same fear. If it had been there a while there would definitely be an odour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for these replies.
    I've got pretty obsessed over it to the point of checking a lot - I've started thinking I can feel something 'round' but my bf keeps saying it's just the normal insides. I am having stabbing pains and totally convinced there's one there somewhere but can't feel it. There's no odour or anything unusual apart from pains, but because of my health anxiety I wonder if I'm imagining / focusing on them when usually wouldn't bother me. Should I book to see a nurse?
    Thanks again

Also carys did you feel it? Or how did you realise it was there? Thanks x

Well, I knew immediately I had put one in without removing another as I had a strange 'pressure type' of feeling really high up vaginally. Obviously the new one had pushed the other really high and as there was no space (In terms of length) it had pushed the first one kind of sideways under the cervix. So, in this instance it was obvious, you could just 'feel' something different. Painful - no it wasn't, midly uncomfortable is how I'd describe it. I have had exactly the same fear as you though, about having left one in, quite a few times over the years. I have done the checks you've done, quite a few times, and tried to find it, and then when I've found nothing.....I've waited and there were no changes that I observed, so presumed I was wrong. I would say that when I did get the first one really high up and kind of unreachable, I could easily feel it there with fingertip but was unable to grab it/the string to pull (be aware, you may be feeling your cervix itself if you are managing to get quite high up!). Have a quick look at a side view diagram of the uterus and vagina and you will see the larger area at the top of the vagina where things can turn sideways. You can kind of gently sweep in a circle around that area. (clean hands, finger nails and possibly lubricant) It is a suprisingly common occurrence, and nurses honestly will have seen so many women in this situation. If it is going to consume you, and you genuinely aren't sure, then yes make an appointment to have someone look for you...

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/womens-health/what-if-i-forget-to-remove-my-tampon/
    Last edited by Carys; 25-02-19 at 19:35.

Oh, and heres some future advice (for after this is resolved), and something I have stuck to the last few years as it saves me having that 'omg, did I remove the last one' moment. Changing tampons is so routine that often you don't remember doing it, or not doing it.....so..... I always, every single time, before I use a new tampon quickly check 'under there' with a tiny handbag mirror. It takes 2 seconds to have a glance, and then if there s no string, you know you are fine to go for it. I've built it into my routine so that I don't have to go through the stress of worrying.

Thanks Carys.
    I have been trying to feel for something again and messed around so much I have cut something somewhere :( it is definitely superficial blood and not spotting, I can tell the difference. So I'm j going to try stop incase I end up with some kind of infection. Surely I'd have felt something if it was up there? I keep thinking I can but it must just be walls or anatomy? The one I did leave in I found pretty easily and it had turned sideways, and I was able to pull it out. This is the only reason I've got obsessed about it. It's because I was pretty drunk that night, because it's unheard of for me to leave a tampon in, so my mind has gone to all sorts.
    Thanks again

I have been trying to feel for something again and messed around so much I have cut something somewhere :
    Yerrrsss I was a bit worried about this happening, hence the lubricant/nails comment.

The one I did leave in I found pretty easily and it had turned sideways, and I was able to pull it out.
    Then, there is nothing there, from what you are saying here you reached one easily that had gone to the area under your cervix, and you would feel one easily now.

STOP !!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information