Thread: Flat Stools, really worried

Flat Stools, really worried

Quick background info here - I've been a bit stressed the past few weeks, mostly due to my job. I've had a few days off since last Friday and boy was I looking forward to them.
    I took few benzos over the past week, one or two low dose ones a day. I did this because I wanted to completely relax and unwind from work as I was finding it hard to get it out of my head.
    My bowel movements are usually fairly regular - once a day and usually early in the day. About 2 days ago I was feeling a bit constipated, didn't have a bowel movement until nearly bedtime and I was thinking it's probably the tablets doing it to me (my diet wasn't great either). Then yesterday I went 3 times. I didn't take much notice of the first time but the second time it looked as if my stools were flat, but on one side of them. Instant panic of course. I've read things in the past about flat stools, not exactly sure what I read but I won't go looking again.
    I've had 2 bowel movements today so far and it still looks like they're a bit flat. Not totally flat like a ribbon but definitely a flat shape to a part of them.
    I've stopped taking the tablets now and I won't be taking them again but I don't know if they could have caused this. My last tablet was yesterday, one low dose tablet.
    Of course I'm worrying about the big c here because my HA seems to be flaring up recently.
    Are flat stools a sign of anything sinister? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Oh and I don't have IBS. Generally I have no issues with my bowel movements, except about a year ago when I had a bit of blood which was probably due to a fissure but of course I thought the worst then too!

Re: Flat Stools, really worried

I have had flat stools, thin ish and ribbon like stools now and again.

IBS causes them, and apparently the aged old theory that they are a symptoms of cancer is a myth, but continues to be published and taught. Someone posted about it a few weeks ago on here. Another theory is anxiety and stress tightening the anal muscles making them come out thinner.

I have them ALL the time. Ribbon like and flat on both sides, then only on one side, then an oval shape, and then back to loose and flat again, wash, rinse, repeat. I hate it. It scares me every time! But then I have to calm myself and remind myself that it's happened for years and why should it bother me now? HA sucks!

Agree with MrLurcher - because he's referring to my post

Anyway to the OP: I'm assuming you're probably under the age of 35, as most people on here seem to be with bowel cancer fears (from what I've noticed anyway). So ultimately, this greatly reduces your risk, and you also don't mention a familial history or other predisposing factors.

A study was conducted which found "low caliber" (that is, "thin stools") and "pencil thin stools" are not a sign of bowel cancer. The original idea that thin stools were a sign of bowel cancer were thought up by a Doctor in the 1800s - he had no clinical evidence (or evidence of any variety) to back up his claims... He just said it because it sounded logical. Which, I suppose it does sound logical. But now it is known when there is a tumour obstructing the bowel's lumen, diarrhoea results - not thin stools.

I have had IBS for years and I've had every type of stool you can think of - including thin ones. And I'm still here.

So no, I think you can relax and move on from this

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Thank you for your replies - it does make me feel a little better, although I know the only way I'll be ok about this is if my stools go back to normal again.
    There's just one thing you said RadioGaGa that's going around in my head now. I'm not in the under 35 category any more, I'm 42. As far as I know there's no history of bowel cancer in the family. Is 42 still a reasonably young age to get it??
    Still scared though but praying that this doesn't drive me back to the doctor!!

BrokenGirl

I was just saying that the majority on here worrying about bowel cancer are generally under that age. Obviously it can occur at any age - even in the teens, but this is case report material. Certainly a 42 year old walking in for bowel cancer treatment would be at the young end of the scale.

I really don't think you have it from your description, but if you develop diarrhoea mixe with blood, or other significant bowel changes (e.g. NOT thin stools) see your doctor.

But I think you're fine from what you've said, so please don't panic (I know, its difficult not to)

Good luck

diarrhoea mixed with blood* typo

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Thread Information