Thread: Rabies fear

Rabies fear

Hi all. I am new to posting, but have often come here for reassurance. Here is the story.
    About the end of January my husband and kids rescued 2 baby bunnies whose mother had abandoned them. At the time my son (age 6) had a small wound on the crease of his middle finger. We attempted to nurse the baby bunnies using kitten milk replacer. I was sick at the time so it was mostly my husband and kids. The bunnies did try to suckle on their fingers looking for milk.
    When I felt better I started to worry and called the pediatrician. The bunnies died suddenly after seeming to grow well for over a week. She said to call animal control for my area which I did. I was told by animal control that bunnies are not an animal they worry about as far as rabies. They worry about bats in our area as well as raccoons and larger animals, but not bunnies. I called a wildlife rehab center and was told the same thing. CDC website states the same thing.
    2 months later he has complained of tingling in his hand twice. Pins and needles? He has a little speech delay so communication is always difficult. It's something I am sure I wouldn't notice except I am still worried. He has been waking up at night more than usual with what look like night terrors, but I am afraid it is the beginning of rabies neurological symptoms.
    I was doing okay tamping down my fear, hut today he says he feels cold and I think he is getting a fever, and his tummy hurts. He is super grumpy. I was thinking once I get to the 3 months since bunny rescue mark I will start to let this go. It has been almost two months. I am beyond terrified. I am imagining my little boy dying this terrible death. I think I was irresponsible for not getting him a rabies shot, and my husband was irresponsible for bringing the bunnies inside. Please help.

Re: Rabies fear

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Please read the sticky thread in this sub-forum

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I know exactly how you're feeling. My daughter, when she was 3, was exposed to a bat. It died in her room, and we had no idea! I was convinced she had been bitten, but it was too long dead to test. Every time she got a cold, I would panic. There was one illness she got, and she was hallucinating and expressing photophobia. I was stricken with grief, but it was just a normal cold, and sometimes kids get weird symptoms.

How is your LO one today?

Whoa! This is my worst nightmare. I’m terrified a bat will bite me, and then just crawl somewhere and die. How did you find the bat??

Quote Originally Posted by Nile View Post
    Whoa! This is my worst nightmare. I’m terrified a bat will bite me, and then just crawl somewhere and die. How did you find the bat??
    I don't want to ruin this person's thread with my story. You can pm if you really want to know.

Goodmorningellie-- how are things? Hope you are calmer!

In case any ones stops by this thread for reassurance..we are all fine. Nobody has rabies and the professionals were right. Go figure. Hope everyone is doing well.

Thread Information