Hi all. I am new to posting, but have often come here for reassurance. Here is the story.
About the end of January my husband and kids rescued 2 baby bunnies whose mother had abandoned them. At the time my son (age 6) had a small wound on the crease of his middle finger. We attempted to nurse the baby bunnies using kitten milk replacer. I was sick at the time so it was mostly my husband and kids. The bunnies did try to suckle on their fingers looking for milk.
When I felt better I started to worry and called the pediatrician. The bunnies died suddenly after seeming to grow well for over a week. She said to call animal control for my area which I did. I was told by animal control that bunnies are not an animal they worry about as far as rabies. They worry about bats in our area as well as raccoons and larger animals, but not bunnies. I called a wildlife rehab center and was told the same thing. CDC website states the same thing.
2 months later he has complained of tingling in his hand twice. Pins and needles? He has a little speech delay so communication is always difficult. It's something I am sure I wouldn't notice except I am still worried. He has been waking up at night more than usual with what look like night terrors, but I am afraid it is the beginning of rabies neurological symptoms.
I was doing okay tamping down my fear, hut today he says he feels cold and I think he is getting a fever, and his tummy hurts. He is super grumpy. I was thinking once I get to the 3 months since bunny rescue mark I will start to let this go. It has been almost two months. I am beyond terrified. I am imagining my little boy dying this terrible death. I think I was irresponsible for not getting him a rabies shot, and my husband was irresponsible for bringing the bunnies inside. Please help.