Thread: Sertraline side effects

Sertraline side effects

How long does it take for them to wear off?

I’ve been on sertraline for 24 days now and recently started getting mild tummy pain- bear in mind I also have colon cancer fears (HA) and my diet is really bad. I’ve also had diarrhoea on and off in the past few weeks, yesterday it started again but like I say my diet is bad. Although I never had diarrhoea like this before the sertraline even with a bad diet

I’m on 50mg, is it possible that these vague occasional pains is the sertraline? Even after 24 days on them?

I’m 18

Re: Sertraline side effects

Generally many say give it 4-6 weeks with side effects. And they can vary across that time where some build up, some drop off, something new pops up, etc. This is why I said to you that anything happening during this period is much more likely connected to the med and should not be considered otherwise until you exit that window.

Can side effects go on past this window? Of course. Some people get hardly anything, some people have it first week, some people only start to get that after that first week when many of them are building up to their peak and some of us are unlucky to have more severe side effects or much longer periods of them. Sometimes we aren't suited to a med and they make us a lot worse but that's not what you appear to be experiencing so there is no need to worry about things right now and to just keep going until you feel a bit better.

My first was Citalopram and I remember the side effects dropping off after week 3 and by the end of week 5 they had mostly gone. But I didn't feel actual change until month 3 and month 4/5 either.

Thread Information