Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paranoia about passing cold sores...interfering with intimacy with new partner?

Re: Paranoia about passing cold sores...interfering with intimacy with new partner?

This is HSV we're talking about - not HIV. I really would stop worrying

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Re: Paranoia about passing cold sores...interfering with intimacy with new partner?

I’ve been with my partner got 20+ years and never caught cold sores from him. My Mum had them too & none of the rest of my family caught them.

Just practice good hygiene when you do have one & you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My partner gets cold sore and is paranoid about passing them on as well. He told me about it right at the start of our relationship so we had a discussion about it. I guess because we are older, we just take it in our stride. While he has a cold sore (about 2 or 3 times a year), he doesn't kiss me and I understand why. I think you need to have a similar discussion with your boyfriend and I'm sure he will understand. My partner had cold sores when he was a child so its nothing to do with being 'dirty'.

Thanks so much for everyone/ insightful replies. My issue is, what if I do pass them to him? I’m pretty sure I was intimate the other day when I had one (the ones I get are so small that sometimes I don’t notice until they progress). So because I kissed him with a cold sore I’m just worried for our relationship if it happens I’ve passed them to him. Would this be something to break up over? I keep worrying that my relationship is a ticking time bomb because the incubation period is about a week so he might get one and break up with me.

If he breaks up with you over something like this, Scaredpt, he ain't a keeper.

I agree with blue iris.

But I would also say that it’s unlikely I’d break up with my partner if he gave me a cold sore.

Quote Originally Posted by Scass View Post
    I agree with blue iris.

But I would also say that it’s unlikely I’d break up with my partner if he gave me a cold sore.

Yeah but said you've been with your partner for 20+ years. For me, this is a new partner. So the relationship is new, and these could be the things that could make or break it. But I think from his openness to communicate about this, that's a good sign. He's a hyper rational person and so I think he sees things more matter of fact-ly than I do. It's probably just the newness of the relationship that's making me worried. If I was with someone for years, no way would this be a big deal!

Ok PT.... I've been holding back on this. Here's the deal. As someone with HSV since my teens, it's something that you have to just deal with. Close to 75% of the worlds population has one or both and I suspect more as the symptoms, outbreaks etc. are sometimes non-existent. Type 1 is cold sores. Type 2 is genital. You can get type 1 both oral and/or genital but its rare to get type 2 orally. If you've had "the talk", then your partner knows of it and accepts the risks. It comes down to common sense sexual practices that have been mentioned in the thread. End of subject!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information