Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red, lump thing on top of foot?

Red, lump thing on top of foot?

I’m so frustrated. I’ve just been having so many symptoms and weird things with my body lately. I’ve been to a doctor for period problems and peeing a lot and fatigue, I had a CBC blood test and a urinalysis and all came back okay a few weeks ago. The other day I noticed a red mark on my foot. I asked my mom what she thought it was and she told me it just looked like a red mark. Then I felt it a few days ago and it feels like a hard bone underneath it. I freaked out and had my mom feel it and she is just annoyed with my constant dr visits at this point and told me “it’s fine” and “I don’t even feel anything.” However I definitely know there is a lump under it. I had my boyfriend feel it and he told me it feels like a bone. Exactly. But it’s not and the area on top of it is red and isn’t causing me any pain. I’m so panicky and just constantly keep touching it. I’m a freshmen in college and besides a part time jobs I pay for my school I am still completely dependent on my parents and their insurance. What should I do??? Nobody is taking me seriously anymore

Re: Red, lump thing on top of foot?

try to relax. whatever is on your foot is NOT an emergency. It's probably just where you knocked it, or a shoe rubbed it, or you dropped something on it, or something like that, that you don't even know you did. it is not anything urgent. so, in this case, since it is NOT life threatening, you have to try to get out of the loop of worrying about it.
    one thing that works is to put off the worry, short term and long term. for short term, when you start to want to check it or worry about it, stop, don't do it, and tell yourself that you will worry about it at such and such time. when that time comes, you can check it, think about it, etc, for 15 minutes. then you have to put it off again. challenge yourself and see if you can go longer and longer.
    long term is better. sometimes you can skip the short term and just do long term. a general rule of thumb that my doctor told me is to give something like that 2 weeks. if it's not better in 2 weeks, you can visit your doctor. if it gets worse, you can revisit it.

you need to stop the loop. i've been there. sorry you are going thru this.

Why don't you give it a month to see if it goes down or goes away? There is no reason to jump to panic or catastrophe 1-2 days after finding a bump. We get them all the time.

Thank you guys. I am just so freaked out. It just looks like a red lump on the top of my foot but it feels like a small bone lump. It doesn’t feel fluid filled at all. The more I touch it it gets red but it isn’t painful or anything which has me freaked out. I googled and I’m seeing a lot of things about ganglion cysts coming up and that they are common in wrists and on the top of a foot. But it’s not soft it feels hard?? I know my mom will be upset at me for making another doctors appointment but I am so freaked out! I can’t get a break. And I am so embarrassed. My boyfriend and friends must all think that I am nuts. I just go from one extreme to the next and I always tell them “this time this is it.” I feel like anyone should be worried about a lump though. Or I guess I can do what my family is telling me and just ignore it and hope it isn’t fatal. I’m so tired of living in constant fear and worry and never having this cycle end. If this turns out to be nothing I know there will be something else right behind it to worry about..
    Last edited by UserName20; 29-03-19 at 14:53.

Quote Originally Posted by UserName16 View Post
    Thank you guys. I am just so freaked out. It just looks like a red lump on the top of my foot but it feels like a small bone lump. It doesn’t feel fluid filled at all. The more I touch it it gets red but it isn’t painful or anything which has me freaked out. I googled and I’m seeing a lot of things about ganglion cysts coming up and that they are common in wrists and on the top of a foot. But it’s not soft it feels hard?? I know my mom will be upset at me for making another doctors appointment but I am so freaked out! I can’t get a break. And I am so embarrassed. My boyfriend and friends must all think that I am nuts. I just go from one extreme to the next and I always tell them “this time this is it.” I feel like anyone should be worried about a lump though. Or I guess I can do what my family is telling me and just ignore it and hope it isn’t fatal. I’m so tired of living in constant fear and worry and never having this cycle end. If this turns out to be nothing I know there will be something else right behind it to worry about..
    It's a bone spur. Very common and completely harmless. I have one in exactly the same place

Quote Originally Posted by wilky44 View Post
    It's a bone spur. Very common and completely harmless. I have one in exactly the same place
    Gets you out of serving in the military too

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

In too old, not to mention falling apart, for the military now!!

I looked up bone spur and it does look like it could be one but it just showed up so fast. My foot isn’t in pain or anything at all either which freaks me out. It’s like sometimes I can hardly feel the lump but then other times I can feel it a lot more clearly. It’s rock hard and feels like bone and when looking at my foot you can see a small bump where it is. I’m just going to try and go to the doctor off of my parents insurance. My parents are very annoyed at my constant doctor visits and I guess I have costed them a lot of money lately but this time something. Must be really wrong

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Lumps and bumps do sometimes appear suddenly, especially on feet due to shoes etc. They also tend to disappear quickly if left alone

Never Surrender, Comrade

It has been there that I have noticed for a couple of weeks now. I dont really often see my feet as I often have had socks on, my foot isn't in pain or anything to where I would have checked. It's just this circular red area with a hard bump under it. At first my mom told me that she hadn't felt anything, but now she agrees that she feels something too but that she isn't really worried about it. I continue to ask her if I can make another doctor appointment but she keeps telling me no. Since I am on her insurance and just graduated high school I don't have much money of my own to be able to spend for an appointment or anything else they want to do. SHe told me that "we will keep an eye on it." as if that is a comfort to me. The thing is is that I cannot focus on anything else. I can't go 30 minutes without reaching to my foot and feeling it, each time I magically hope it would have disappeared. Nobody else wants to hear me freaking out about another cancer scare, but a lump is a lump and it's definitely not just in my head. I know I was just at the doctor a month ago getting blood drawn for my thyroid and a CBC blood test and everything came back fine. I was thinking I had cancer then too. I know there are more practical answers besides bone cancer like a ganglion cyst or a bone spur, but in my mind I just keep thinking it must be cancer. I cannot think about anything else. Nothing I can try to do fun will distract me from whatever this is. I just keep wondering if I'm going to be able to finish college or get married someday if it turns out to be cancer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information