Thread: Hanta virus

Hanta virus

Ok, I had this one as a kid after watching a news program about it. Then I forgot about it. Until now.

I cleaned my deck before a BBQ the other day, just shook out and vacuumed the chair cushions. However we have a citrus tree that is right next to the deck and we get mice back there eating the fruit. I have often found a few mouse droppings here and there on the deck, but there's not much we can do unless we can hire someone to pick all the fruit off the tree.

I was reading another anxiety forum and someone mentioned Hanta, and I remembered how I cleaned the furniture. I don't remember seeing any droppings on the chair cushions and I don't know why the mice would go on the chairs.

Then the San Diego County posted on Facebook that Hanta was found in THREE mice out in East County http://www.cbs8.com/story/40198972/t...t0h4BL_yVhUbRE

STUPID FACEBOOK. Now I'm worried that I caught it and I'm still in the incubation period and I will drop dead next week I cleaned 2.5 weeks ago.
    Last edited by coastgirl; 27-03-19 at 00:22.

Re: Hanta virus

I just wanted to reply to you because I had these same fears last year around this time. We got a mouse infestation in our tiny home with the same mice that carry Hanta. I was a wreck about it all the time. Finally after the incubation period was over I breathed a sigh of relief. The good thing about what you posted was that you were outside with lots of ventilation. From what I researched, the people that got it were cleaning out TONS of mice droppings in a small, dark enclosed space. The sunlight kills the virus from what I remember. It sounds like your risk is very low so try and put your mind at ease about it. Sending love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I thought I was over that particular fear because I had finally realized just how RARE it is. I'm more likely to die of the flu or get into a car wreck. But that article popping up RIGHT when I was thinking about it really got me. Plus my anxiety is peaking from other life stressors.

I agree with RLC - you were outdoors, so well ventilated, and were only dealing with a few mouse droppings. I think it's more of a risk when you've had a huge infestation in an enclosed space. I know some people who had a camping trailer that sat unused over the winter, and one year mice got into it and made a terrible mess. Now that was a situation that required some special cleanup precautions.

Hi there - I am also in SD and terrified of HV right now. I found out there was a mouse in my desk at work (work in Mission Bay) but terrified that it could have been an infected one. How did you get through this??? Do you live in inland SD?

Quote Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
    Ok, I had this one as a kid after watching a news program about it. Then I forgot about it. Until now.

I cleaned my deck before a BBQ the other day, just shook out and vacuumed the chair cushions. However we have a citrus tree that is right next to the deck and we get mice back there eating the fruit. I have often found a few mouse droppings here and there on the deck, but there's not much we can do unless we can hire someone to pick all the fruit off the tree.

I was reading another anxiety forum and someone mentioned Hanta, and I remembered how I cleaned the furniture. I don't remember seeing any droppings on the chair cushions and I don't know why the mice would go on the chairs.

Then the San Diego County posted on Facebook that Hanta was found in THREE mice out in East County http://www.cbs8.com/story/40198972/t...t0h4BL_yVhUbRE

STUPID FACEBOOK. Now I'm worried that I caught it and I'm still in the incubation period and I will drop dead next week I cleaned 2.5 weeks ago.

Hi there - I am also in SD and terrified of HV right now. I found out there was a mouse in my desk at work (work in Mission Bay) but terrified that it could have been an infected one. How did you get through this??? Do you live in inland SD?

I live in New Mexico, arguably the capital of wonderful things like bubonic plague and hanta virus. I have never known anyone who got it, nor do I know anyone who knows anyone who got it. I know two people who got bubonic plague. I am not saying those numbers are particularly relevant to each other, but that hanta is rarer than people like to think, especially fear mongering news reports. There have been a meager 728 cases since 1993.

To be a voice of reassurance (even though this is super disgusting), we had a few mice in my office (since been "set free"), and I left my coffee cup out - I thought it was coffee grounds and I kept drinking from my cup... they weren't... coffee... grounds.

This was 2 years ago and while I had a Hanta scare for a good few months back then, I turned out Hanta-free.

Thread Information