Thread: fluoxetine side effects

fluoxetine side effects

Hi
    I am on day 3 of Fluoxetine 20mg for anxiety/panic disorder. I finally decided to try them, I was first offered them at least a year ago but was too scared of the side effects!

Up to now I've felt incredibly sick, no appetite, diarrhoea and generally hungover type feeling but no increase in anxiety. How long are these side effects likely to last? I don't thnk I could stand more than a few more days of feeling like this.

thanks for your help

Re: fluoxetine side effects

It can differ a lot for each individual person.

The usual advice is 2 - 4 weeks.

If you are worried get in touch with your doc as they might be able to give you something to help with the side effects. Perhaps something to reduce the nausea.

It can be hard to stick at it if you do get side effects but once you get over them the positive benefits will start to become more helpful.

Good luck,

Jim

i was on 20mg daily for 5 weeks for my social anxiety,didnt do much for me,no really bad side effects apart from shakes but living with sa most of my life kinda used to shaking,my shrink has upped my dose to 40mg/day now so i will pick up the script monday and see how i go,40mg is a pretty standard dose so if u feel crap on the 20mg maybes there not for you,BUT you must expect side effects,its your body getting used to the drug,same as having a hangover u gotta go through some discomfort to have the benefit.
    good luck anyways and let me know how you get on-dont quit em keep on for 3 weeks at least-it isnt that long and u may feel the benefits

ive jsut started taking the same medication and i feel sicky and no appetite ( i could do with loosing a bit of weight) but the sickness drivnin me nuts a bit as i cant function really well even doing normal everyday things ive a little lad to look after and i cant even do that

Hi there, I have had many different types of mood enhancers in my life mate and found that it's getting the right one for yourself that counts, I know that sounds obvious, but many people think what works for one person will work for another and in my experience thats not the case.
    What you describe does sound normal effects of fluoxetine it should ease after week or two, all SSRIs have that yucky feeling, but will lessen, another point is that you said that you had anxiety too and to my knowledge fluoxetine is more just an antidepressant unlike citalopram which targets anxiety and low mood.
    Remember doctors are generally not expert in this feild and sometimes prescribe things on a lets see what happens basis, unless they have taken these drugs, they don't really know what it feels like, so spaek to others and research to find what's best for you, all the sbest Steph

Thread Information