Thread: Might help some...pain under right rib and back...GONE!

Might help some...pain under right rib and back...GONE!

Hello, I hope this helps some people. For about 4 months, I had a stabby/stitch type pain under my right ribs (sort of in the gallbladder area) in a specific spot (sort of in the middle of the upper right quadrant). It also radiated to the back/shoulder blade behind, and I was burping a lot and had diarrhea. The only reason I wasn't (too) worried about horrible things was that it wasn't particularly painful, came and went, and mostly went away at night (though it did seem to be worse after eating spicy foods or alcohol...but might have been imagination as I have health anxiety and am good at imagining stuff). I had lots of tests, including TWO ulcer tests (blood and breath), but all was normal. Doctors just said IBS, anxiety and musculoskeletal (but I know my body and musculoskeletal with me doesn't last that long). I gave up drinking, certain exercises, gluten...whatever...but nothing seemed to do any good. When it wouldn't go away, I got more paranoid, and was obsessing about dread diseases, and started checking for jaundice, looking at bowel movements, and poking and prodding to see if there were any lumps etc (probably made it worse, lol).

Then, I ended up in hospital with an infected dog bite, and was on about 3 types of antibiotics (including IV) as I had to have an operation. Now, I have no idea if this was to do with the antiobiotics (maybe I DID have an ulcer) or the enforced rest or swapping my anxiety for something else (it was a bad infection and I was paranoid about antibiotic resistance). Anyway, I came home and the pain was gone gone gone! And so have the other symptoms. It has now been 3 weeks, and hasn't come back. Hopefully it stays away!!!

Oh, and the dog bite is nicely healed (good scar though!)

Re: Might help some...pain under right rib and back...GONE!

Ah this is interesting. Your symptoms mirror mine. Its now 12 weeks of a pain in the same area as you describe and with the same level of intensity and pattern. I'm thinking it's a oblique muscle strain but with having it so long without any apparent improvemeny my Mind has been considering other 'diagnoses' - usually the fatal ones !
    I definitely get stressed and depressed over it and anxiety overrides common sense. All the web sites say a pulled muscle should be good after six weeks but if mine is a pulled muscle then I'm twice that already.

Perhaps I ought to go and find a bad tempered mutt and let it take a bite !

Thread Information