Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: colon cancer?

Re: colon cancer?

At your age, they won't really want to do a colonoscopy on you. Colonoscopies are meant for people who show very serious symptoms (not small symptoms here and there), are 40+ or have family history.

Tbh, you don't even need tests but just for your reassurance you can ask the doctor to do a complete blood count test, FOBT test and calprotectin test. However, even positive results on these tests can mean a number of things and not cancer.

I am having soft stools as well, sometimes they are normal. IBS or a sensitive stomach can cause it. Even anxiety can.

I know it is hard to believe me. I am the same as you, but I am trying my best to defeat my fears and so can you.

Quote Originally Posted by KrankerMann View Post
    I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong, a blood test can't diagnose cancer, but it would very likely show an abnormality that requires further investigation. There's a reason blood tests are the go-to thing for health complaints. They can't tell you WHAT'S wrong, but can tell you SOMETHING is wrong.
    Yes, thats true. It can help to indicate something in most cases.

thank you for your responses!! i was feeling especially down about the whole situation right now but i guess it might really just be IBS. i'll wait for what my doctor has to say (hopefully they'll agree) and i'll get some peace of mind. there's no family history of colon cancer or anything related honestly so i guess that lowers my chances of having it even more, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by 48tce View Post
    there's no family history of colon cancer or anything related honestly so i guess that lowers my chances of having it even more!
    There!... Fixed that last sentence for you

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

haha thank you!! i know i probably shouldn't go on at this point but i've been dealing with an upset stomach and pains all day today. trying not to think about colon cancer because i'm honestly too tired. i think my anxiety really did a number on my system!! it's terrible what HA does.

i had questions i wanted to ask to those with IBS. should i make a new thread or can i just ask them here?

i had questions i wanted to ask to those with IBS. should i make a new thread or can i just ask them here?
    I would ask them on here, it makes it easier for everyone to follow. Also I have ibs so I’ll do my best to answer for you.

Positive vibes

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

for those of you with IBS, i’ve listed questions below:

1. how long did it take for you to find out you have IBS? what caused it? what was the process and how long has it been since then?

2. i read that IBS can cause all kinds of different looking stools (narrow, light, mucus, etc...) but, how true is this?

3. how many BMs do you have, on average, on a bad day and good day?

4. do you ever get abdominal pain or urges that go away once you have a BM?

5. how do you manage a flare up? can you describe what they’re like?

i have more questions but they’re more for seeking reassurance so... i think i’ll leave it at this for now. answers are much appreciated!!

[QUOTE=48tce;1867093]for those of you with IBS, i’ve listed questions below:

1. how long did it take for you to find out you have IBS? what caused it? what was the process and how long has it been since then?
    About 30 seconds, mentioned I have symptoms the same as my mum, said I think it’s IBS. Doctor replies ‘yep, you do’ it’s been 13/14 years.

2. i read that IBS can cause all kinds of different looking stools (narrow, light, mucus, etc...) but, how true is this?
    All colours, it’s always a surprise what type of shapes (narrow or otherwise) it’s going to be, varies greatly in consistency. Mucus has become my number one enemy, particularly over the last 2/3 weeks. But it all changes on a whim really.

3. how many BMs do you have, on average, on a bad day and good day?
    That’s impossible to say, it all depends on what I’ve been eating, how stressed I might be, how well I’ve been drinking and sleeping. Bad day probably 3-9 times or nothing at all/just mucus for days on end. Good day once with no pain and a good consistency.

4. do you ever get abdominal pain or urges that go away once you have a BM?
    Yes, and pain that doesn’t go away after a BM too. All depends on a variety of different circumstances.

5. how do you manage a flare up? can you describe what they’re like?
    Go to the bathroom when I need to. Try and avoid trigger foods and caffeine if I have somewhere to be. Other than that just take it as part of life really. Usually they are days with painful urges that means I have little choice about going - although I have learnt to breathe through them and relax my muscles. Or it could be that I am constipated and bloated, then I try to drink more and relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

gosh, those symptoms are all over the place!! were you not concerned ever over your symptoms matching something sinister? i guess not since you've had it for 13 years and have been ok. if it was serious and you waited that long you wouldn't be responding to me right now. do you ever get just one BM a day but the stool is really weird? like, not normal looking? i've been dealing with somewhat narrow, light colored stools and undigested stuff in it. also, can IBS cause stools to be narrower after passing a normal sized one?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information