Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dementia?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Dementia?

I think memory and "brain fog" are much overlooked components of anxiety/stress. Stress can scramble the mind of non-anxiety sufferers too, so being able to function "normally" whilst having a constant background noise of anxiety is a feat in itself. Of course memory will be affected and the mind easily distracted. Our anxious minds are hyper-vigilant and constantly scanning. You might be listening or speaking but the subconscious mind is more concerned about what others are thinking rather than saying. So in a sense we're only partially listening and paying attention. This is how memory is affected because in order to properly store a memory there must be sufficient attention in the first place.

Certainly not anything like dementia or a tumour, where mental deficits are far more noticeable and dramatic (not to mention progressive).

Never Surrender, Comrade

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    At any given time I have about five half-finished tasks on my desk at work, and I often check my tabs and find myself halfway through a sentence.
    Actually I think I did write the rest of it, but must’ve highlighted and deleted it by accident. At least I HOPE that’s what happened!!
    How is your day going Iris? Enjoying the last of the sun?

I rather sadly work with two people with dementia as work of my job. Ones in the later stages and ones in the earlier stages. I'm not trained professional but from working with these people for the last three years I don't think you have much to worry about--besides that horrible anixety x!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    Actually I think I did write the rest of it, but must’ve highlighted and deleted it by accident. At least I HOPE that’s what happened!!
    How is your day going Iris? Enjoying the last of the sun?
    I'm medically banned from enjoying the sun I forgot my hat today, though, so I did enjoy it a little bit. I'm very much enjoying being done with work for the day, though.

Nooooooo jojo!!!!

You are a hard working Mum who also has to contend with a constant stream of intrusive thoughts flooding her brain. Even without the anxiety disorder these occurrences would be a normal feature of daily life with people to care for and tasks to be done.

There's no hope for me if you think you have dementia and I've got 20 years on you! I've also got my daughter monitoring me for any "slip up" of cognitive skills! It's so easy to lose your "thread" especially when you are tired and overwhelmed xx

Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    I think memory and "brain fog" are much overlooked components of anxiety/stress. Stress can scramble the mind of non-anxiety sufferers too, so being able to function "normally" whilst having a constant background noise of anxiety is a feat in itself. Of course memory will be affected and the mind easily distracted. Our anxious minds are hyper-vigilant and constantly scanning. You might be listening or speaking but the subconscious mind is more concerned about what others are thinking rather than saying. So in a sense we're only partially listening and paying attention. This is how memory is affected because in order to properly store a memory there must be sufficient attention in the first place.

Certainly not anything like dementia or a tumour, where mental deficits are far more noticeable and dramatic (not to mention progressive).
    Yes. I think that is a lot of it. It’s so easy to have all that mental chatter going on- it’s hard to focus properly. I hope it’s that!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Nooooooo jojo!!!!

You are a hard working Mum who also has to contend with a constant stream of intrusive thoughts flooding her brain. Even without the anxiety disorder these occurrences would be a normal feature of daily life with people to care for and tasks to be done.

There's no hope for me if you think you have dementia and I've got 20 years on you! I've also got my daughter monitoring me for any "slip up" of cognitive skills! It's so easy to lose your "thread" especially when you are tired and overwhelmed xx
    oh goodness Pulisa- I hope your sweet daughter doesn’t point out your “slip ups” to you!
    And thank you. Just what I needed to hear! Xxxx

Oh she does....Mistakes aren't tolerated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information