Thread: Is this just IBS

Is this just IBS

Hi all, I was diagnosed with IBS about a year and half ago. Usually I would get some upset stomach and some pain but it would go away within a few hours. This is different.
    For the past week or so, I've been having a lot of discomfort in my abdomen. I've been getting a lot of cramping and sore or tight feelings. All over my abdomen. It's been lasting most of the day. There were a couple of days where it felt a little better but then it came back again. My bowel movements have been more frequent and generally more loose with quite a bit of undigested food and the past few days my stools have been green. I cut out all caffeine, sugar, and alcohol and have been eating bland foods and non-dairy probiotic yogurts but it hasn't made it any better.
    I did start my period about 5 days ago. Also I was taking a new birth control for 4 weeks. I decided to stop taking it after the stomach problems started. I also stopped taking pepcid which I had been taking daily and cut down on how often I've been taking iron pills. But nothing is helping.
    I'm freaking out. I'm also positive it's something serious. My anxiety has been sky high and I've been completely useless. I can't concentrate on anything.
    I have a big international trip in two days that I have been looking forward to for years and I just feel miserable. The idea of traveling feeling this way is making my anxiety even worse.
    My partner thinks I just have a little bug and am nervous about the trip. He has a bit of upset stomach too. But I don't know if nerves could cause this.
    Help please!

Re: Is this just IBS

My stool stopped being green this morning, but now I have diarrhea and I'm freaking out again. Has anybody had this before? My partner thinks it's just a bug. He has some of my symptoms but not all. And I've been feeling bad for over a week now! Surely, I would feel better now if it wasn't something serious and I wouldn't be getting diarrhea now. I don't know what to do, we're leaving town tomorrow. I don't know how I'll deal with feeling like this in the airport and on the plane and on vacation.

You were diagnosed with ibs. This is probably a flare up. Ive had ibs for years and each flare up gives different symptoms. Also a week isnt long, sometimes my flare ups last for months. A tummy bug could have triggered your latest symptoms and anxiety will definitely aggravate them. With your travel plans ahead you might also have some anxiety about that which doesn't help. Really its mostly down to anxiety. Take something to calm yourself and your ibs symptoms will be less or even disappear in a few days.

Thanks for responding. My stomach is starting to feel less crampy and painful now, so that's good. I just hope it doesn't come back like last time. I'm still feeling some ibs symptoms, but they're ones I'm more familiar with. I hope they go away. I'm worried about having stomach problems in the airport or on the plane rides. I haven't traveled this far in my adult life. I don't really have any medications to take to help me calm down. I always get a lot of side-effects from medications, so they do more harm than good for me.

Thread Information