Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was scared of ALS now MS

Was scared of ALS now MS

Hi folks
    I just joined the other day. I am a 43 year old male with a history of HA. This is probably the worst it has been in the past 10 years. My current fear is ALS. I was worried about slurring speech and excessive saliva a few days ago but down feel that now. Currently my issue is in left arm/hand. My arm feels weak and tight. my wrist and hand feels tight and odd. I feel like my flexibility is off with left hand. I notice with making an L shape with pointer finger and thumb with left hand (I am right hand dominant), I can make L but when I curl my other three fingers into hand pointer finger curls and I can't straighten out finger. I can straighten out finger almost all way when I do this with right hand. Even typing now, my left hand feels light and weak. I am terrified, I have two small children. I workout a lot and am in good shape. I am just so terrified right now. This started with arm a few days ago. This is definitely embarrassing

Re: ALS fear

Please read THIS as often as you need to.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

thanks so much...My brain keeps telling me that my arm falls into the muscle weakness category :(

Alright man, don't go falling down the ALS hole. Just get out of there. It's completely normal to be a little less flexible or coordinated with your less dominant hand. If you had ALS onset in your left hand it wouldn't feel any different from the right. It just wouldn't work and you would not be able to do the things you normally could do. Feeling has nothing to do with ALS. Don't let your anxiety trick you into thinking it does.

Take care

Was scared of ALS now MS

Hey guys...I just joined the forum about 10 days ago. I started with the following post:
    Hi folks
    I just joined the other day. I am a 43 year old male with a history of HA. This is probably the worst it has been in the past 10 years. My current fear is ALS. I was worried about slurring speech and excessive saliva a few days ago but down feel that now. Currently my issue is in left arm/hand. My arm feels weak and tight. my wrist and hand feels tight and odd. I feel like my flexibility is off with left hand. I notice with making an L shape with pointer finger and thumb with left hand (I am right hand dominant), I can make L but when I curl my other three fingers into hand pointer finger curls and I can't straighten out finger. I can straighten out finger almost all way when I do this with right hand. Even typing now, my left hand feels light and weak. I am terrified, I have two small children. I workout a lot and am in good shape. I am just so terrified right now. This started with arm a few days ago. This is definitely embarrassing

Well...I was good for about 7 days feeling nothing and today I am feeling that tightness in upper left cheek/jaw and middle right cheek almost like spasm, but more just tightness, and my left arm feels weird at times. I know I have tight trap muscles and chiropractor worked on them today. My right eye gets slightly blurry but I had retina laser surgery two years ago for torn retina and I have had many dilated eye exams even one two months ago and all checks out fine as I read eye docs can see inflamed optic nerve with MS. I am super scared I have MS now. I thought I read MS can come and go so I can feel good for days then fire up for a few and back and forth. sorry guys I feel stupid :(

Re: Was scared of ALS now MS

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Your anxiety is dragging you all over the place. Be careful what you read, an anxious mind can grab bits and pieces of information and run with it. Everything you mention sounds like classic physical affects of anxiety. At times, it can come out of nowhere. Even when you don't feel paticularly anxious at the time. Try to relax if you can. I know it's hard.

Take care

I am in the exact same position - now into my 4th month of the horrible als rabbit hole . Been twitching like crazy . I am 28 years old and just barely functioning - it’s taking over my life when I should be living it ! Trying really really hard to get back on track but it’s a tough one to get out of . I’ve seen a few people come out the other side of it on this forum and I hope we are included in that category soon :(

It really can't be stressed enough. Muscle twitching is absolutely harmless and normal. It is a frequent symptom from anxiety. Can also be caused by dehydration, fatigue, electrolyte deficiency or commonly no reason at all. Murphy your right, the ALS rabbit hole is a really tough one to get out of but you will just as so many others have as well.

Take care

Thanks for the reply Yourboy - it really is one of hardest to get out of I thought after 4 I would be out of it by now but here I am . Can’t believe I have became fixated on such a rare disease .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information