Thread: Strange Stool Smell

Strange Stool Smell

So, something I was kind of overlooking because I was so focused on other symptoms I've been having... about 8 weeks ago I noticed my stool had a odd smell. It didn't smell "worse" - just different. I don't really know how to describe the smell or what to compare it to. It doesn't particularly smell like blood IMO and most descriptions of bloody stool I can find describe the smell as very very bad - and that's not what this is at all.

The stool seems fairly normal colored. A little bit on the dark end of brown. Definitely not black (I've had bloody black stool before from a endoscopy complication). I'm not having any weight loss or pain.

However, I'm worried maybe it is blood or some other change that indicates colon cancer. I had a colonoscopy about 4.5 years ago that found one small benign polyp (I'm only in early 30s). The colonoscopy before that removed two small benign polyps. The doctor said my next colonoscopy could be in 5-10 years based on the type of polyp but he would do it at 5 if I wanted and he wouldn't blame me really.

I'm worried colon cancer has developed since my last colonoscopy 4.5 years ago. My great-grandmother died of colon cancer in her 80s and my grandfather had it in his late 50s / early 60s but it was caught very early and removed.

The only thing that *may be* causing it is a Zinc supplement. The smell first appeared the day after the first time I ever took a 50mg Zinc supplement. I didn't think much of it at the time and the smell isn't present every time I go to the bathroom. I haven't been exactly monitoring if it only appears after I take Zinc because I was focused on other symptoms bothering my hypochondriac brain. I'm going to take more special note of this though so I can determine if that is possibly what's causing it. I can't find anyone else online reporting that Zinc causes their stool to smell different though so I'm a little doubtful that is the cause.

If there is enough blood in stool to affect the entire smell of the stool, it seems like I would be able to see blood? But, I really do not see any blood on the stool and the stool is not black like bloody stool.
    Last edited by darkside4k; 05-04-19 at 17:51.

Re: Strange Stool Smell

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by darkside4k View Post
    So, something I was kind of overlooking because I was so focused on other symptoms I've been having... about 8 weeks ago I noticed my stool had a odd smell. It didn't smell "worse" - just different.
    Ok.... Darkside listen up... You don't have bowel cancer or any other cancer. You have HA and a very severe case.

After the surgery to remove the cancerous nodes from my neck and less than a week before I was due to have the stitches/staples removed, I coughed and spit up blood. I didn't think much of it at the time because I had it happen with the tonsil surgery. I realized something was wrong when it didn't stop. What had happened was I blew out a suture or something in the back of my throat and it needed attention. I ended up back at Johns Hopkins, transported by ambulance (they wanted to fly me by helicopter but I refused). So for about 6-8 hours, I had a bleed. By the time I got to the ER in Baltimore, I was feeling dizzy and weak due to blood loss, most of which was swallowed as the bleed was in the back of my throat.

After the surgery, I finally hit the john. There was NO mistaking it. Shit stinks but this? There are no words! And yes, black as night, sticky and the consistency of tar. I've been there... I don't doubt you have symptoms but I know it's not from cancer. This is getting pretty old and you know it. Treat you real illness will you please? By doing so, you'll help treat the symptoms you're experiencing from it.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I agree with you as I had an upper GI bleed after an endoscopy complication and I remember telling myself "OK now I know what black stool looks like" and there is no "maybe" about it when you have it. But, something in my hypochondriac brain is telling me it could be blood or something bad. Perhaps a very very slow bleed? I dunno. I know I'm not anemic because I just had blood work like 3 days ago.

Then again, my last colonoscopy was just 4.5 years ago. I also know that I do not have a hereditary colon cancer syndrome like Lynch syndrome because my mother (who had a father with colon cancer) had the blood test for it.
    Last edited by darkside4k; 05-04-19 at 22:01.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside4k View Post
    But, something in my hypochondriac brain is telling me it could be blood or something bad.
    That's what needs fixing!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Fishmanpa, your posts never cease to give me a good old chuckle. Top of the morning to ya mate!

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    Fishmanpa, your posts never cease to give me a good old chuckle. Top of the morning to ya mate!
    You too WI!

Positive thoughts

Hi did you find out why your stool smelled different? Is it still like that. I'm having the same problem

Nah - never found out. I'm still alive though - ha.

Thread Information