Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PTSD and Triggers

PTSD and Triggers

PTSD can happen after shock of an accident, illness, loss, horrific events and more. Triggers can open these wounds in the form of anxiety symptoms and panic attacks.
    But, sometimes we are not consciously aware of what constitutes as a trigger, say for instance when we watch tv, listen to music or what we think are normal daily tasks.
    The subconscious plays a big part in this and some of us try to find the causes to relieve the attacks.
    And even if we do that, is avoidance the right thing to do or are we punishing ourselves by exposing ourselves to the things that make us feel ill?
    I would be interested to hear other people's stories and experiences after the event.

Mine was a car crash and although I have driven again in small doses, after 5 long years, I still find it a major problem.

Although, there have been other events in my life that I think has caused a similar affect and could also be put in the category of PTSD.

So maybe, our fears are more widespread than one event?

Re: PTSD and Triggers

Disappointing to have no responses when Nicola kindly created a sub-forum on a few people's requests.
    Now I feel embarrassed backing the idea up.

Sorry, Carnation. I don't have an official PTSD diagnosis, but I still occasionally suffer flashbacks to the abuse I went through at the hands of my parents and an ex.

I still get very uneasy when I see a parent punishing a child in public; it might not trigger a full-blown panic attack but it definitely brings on a profound desire to escape.

Hug for BlueIris

Memories do stay with us even if they are bad, we can't wipe them out, but our feelings stay the same about an incident. It's how we react to that memory and I think we become protective of others that are in a similar situation.
    That is the human reaction to a feeling and that is called empathy.

Hi!
    Please don't feel embarrassed for backing my request up because I didn't reply. I haven't been online since because I've been going through a flare up and shutting off from everyone.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm very sorry that you suffer so, but well done for driving again. It's too true about the triggers. I'm still figuring a lot of mine out.

Thank you for the back up. Perhaps one day I will feel confident enough to share my story. Regardless of the trauma it's nice to know that we're not alone. Take care. X

I guess this is a slot I’d fit into but like a lot of people on here I have never really been given a label or diagnosed , surprising as at my worst I was hallucinating and crying like a baby but it’s not like a broken leg where Dr looks and goes that’s a broken leg you’ve got there .
    my ongoing state started seven years ago after choking on some food , a bloody pork scratching of all things ( my own fault should have stuck with being a vegetarian) so I stopped breathing infront of my family and no one could help , obviously I survived the incident after a trip to hospital but I couldn’t stop going over and over what had happened and how it could have turned out differently, after no sleep for a couple of weeks the doc said try antidepressants but didnt actually say what they were , they just opened up my mind even more to a point where I started to think I might be in a coma dreaming or maybe I did die that night , anyway long and short it opened up a can of worms I doubt I will ever get the lid back on .
    so no anxiety , depression or ptsd ever actually formally diagnosed,it may well be on my records but never said to me or written down .
    Ive seen the crisis team , psychiatrist , therapist and done CBT , the only time anyone said this is what’s wrong with you was the therapist who I told everything to and she said you seem to have PTSD , she suggested some eye movement type therapy but it never happened .
    The other problem was which event started the ptsd, I know which one brought it to a head but I think it started way before porkscratchygate, I saw a boy killed when I was ten which is still a fresh memory, an older lad tried to drown me at about the same age , I had a bad trip on mushrooms at seventeen and ended up in hospital, my dad dropped dead infront of me at 29 , and being told my daughter was going to die after an overdose which she pulled through. Plus one thing I can’t put on here that I haven’t spoken to anyone about and probably never will .
    All of these memories cannot be erased but it would be good to know what the hell to do with them .
    This brings me on to triggers , hospitals bring most events back but I can’t avoid them , virtually every time I go to hospital with family it triggers my worst fears . Next is eating I have a massive fear of choking again, if a crumb goes down the wrong hole instant panic sets in to a point where my throat physically closes up , this also extends to other people especially family, if they start coughing I panic until they’ve stopped , again none of this can be avoided .
    life is unpredictable and situations that some would consider dangerous don’t bother me but my past experiences have left a mark on my mind that cant be taken away ,I guess its a way of protecting me but to an extreme that has taken over my life .
    Anyway that’s me in a nutshell or nuts’hell , would a ptsd lable change anything? Probably not .
    ps feeling about as shite as hell lately, anxious all day and the vivid night terrors are back , all bloody good fun .
    Take care , sweet dreams .

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Disappointing to have no responses when Nicola kindly created a sub-forum on a few people's requests.
    Now I feel embarrassed backing the idea up.
    I did say it was never used

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Buster70 View Post
    I guess this is a slot I’d fit into but like a lot of people on here I have never really been given a label or diagnosed , surprising as at my worst I was hallucinating and crying like a baby but it’s not like a broken leg where Dr looks and goes that’s a broken leg you’ve got there .
    my ongoing state started seven years ago after choking on some food , a bloody pork scratching of all things ( my own fault should have stuck with being a vegetarian) so I stopped breathing infront of my family and no one could help , obviously I survived the incident after a trip to hospital but I couldn’t stop going over and over what had happened and how it could have turned out differently, after no sleep for a couple of weeks the doc said try antidepressants but didnt actually say what they were , they just opened up my mind even more to a point where I started to think I might be in a coma dreaming or maybe I did die that night , anyway long and short it opened up a can of worms I doubt I will ever get the lid back on .
    so no anxiety , depression or ptsd ever actually formally diagnosed,it may well be on my records but never said to me or written down .
    Ive seen the crisis team , psychiatrist , therapist and done CBT , the only time anyone said this is what’s wrong with you was the therapist who I told everything to and she said you seem to have PTSD , she suggested some eye movement type therapy but it never happened .
    The other problem was which event started the ptsd, I know which one brought it to a head but I think it started way before porkscratchygate, I saw a boy killed when I was ten which is still a fresh memory, an older lad tried to drown me at about the same age , I had a bad trip on mushrooms at seventeen and ended up in hospital, my dad dropped dead infront of me at 29 , and being told my daughter was going to die after an overdose which she pulled through. Plus one thing I can’t put on here that I haven’t spoken to anyone about and probably never will .
    All of these memories cannot be erased but it would be good to know what the hell to do with them .
    This brings me on to triggers , hospitals bring most events back but I can’t avoid them , virtually every time I go to hospital with family it triggers my worst fears . Next is eating I have a massive fear of choking again, if a crumb goes down the wrong hole instant panic sets in to a point where my throat physically closes up , this also extends to other people especially family, if they start coughing I panic until they’ve stopped , again none of this can be avoided .
    life is unpredictable and situations that some would consider dangerous don’t bother me but my past experiences have left a mark on my mind that cant be taken away ,I guess its a way of protecting me but to an extreme that has taken over my life .
    Anyway that’s me in a nutshell or nuts’hell , would a ptsd lable change anything? Probably not .
    ps feeling about as shite as hell lately, anxious all day and the vivid night terrors are back , all bloody good fun .
    Take care , sweet dreams .
    Buster that's so incredibly sad. EMDR therapy could definitely help you! Don't for a moment sit back and think this is how you have to be forever. With PTSD, when we are triggered it is as traumatic as the original events. We are reminded and are constantly retraumatised. The key to getting over this is to 'process' the trauma, be this through EMDR or talking therapies. It can be done truly. I am 5 months into therapy with a private therapist and even though I am still fairly bad I have improved substantially since and I'm still identifying triggers.

It sounds as though all of your past has traumatised you and the choking incident was the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak. Don't give up. It can get better! Xxx

Thanks for coming on Emmer and sorry you are suffering.
    In fact since I posted that comment, there have been people viewing and posting.
    I hope members and outsiders will be able to get something from it, no matter how small.
    And its here for when you want to share.

Buster, I had no idea until I read your story.
    It takes a lot of courage to open up and go over what you have been through.
    No matter how strong a person you might be, we all have our sensitivities and phobias.
    I hope in time it will become less delicate for you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information