Thread: Week 5 of citalopram...new symptoms/side effects?

Week 5 of citalopram...new symptoms/side effects?

I'm currently in week 5 of taking citalopram 10mg. After the first week which was horrendous with side effects (body jolts, agitated, more panicky than ever) I DO feel better. My anxious thoughts are more controlled, if that's the best way to describe it. I don't feel like I spiral into catastrophic thoughts. However....I feel like I'm constantly trembling, shaking etc. I don't know if you can physically see it or if it's my muscles which have been so tense and anxious getting rid of some of that energy (is that even a thing or am I just clutching at straws here?) It's making me start to worry again. And after feeling so much better I feel like I'm heading back down the wrong road.

Re: Week 5 of citalopram...new symptoms/side effects?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi new york girl. I have found your thread as i was experiencing same thing! so came off citalopram and now the jolts and twitches still persist!! 7 weeks on. How have you coped?? have they stopped? its driving me mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Worryguts View Post
    Hi new york girl. I have found your thread as i was experiencing same thing! so came off citalopram and now the jolts and twitches still persist!! 7 weeks on. How have you coped?? have they stopped? its driving me mad.
    So you took citalopram for 7 weeks, or you stopped 7 weeks ago but the twitching persist? What was the maximum dose? Have you tried magnesium supplements?

I was on them for around 3 months and stopped because of twitching. I've seen neurologist who wants me to hold off the EMG but still they persist. but also throat issues which were panicking me. I have been taking magnesium but doesn't seem to have helped massively. Anxiety hasn't been great.....because of coming off meds and constant twitching combined. now on propranolol to help that.

I was on them for around 3 months and stopped because of twitching. I've seen neurologist who wants me to hold off the EMG but still they persist.
    It is rare for such side-effects to continue after a SSRI is discontinued, though not impossible. Have either your GP or neurologist asked for a ferritin (iron) blood test?

but also throat issues which were panicking me.
    Throat issues are common with anxiety so may be a separate issue to the muscle twitching.

Yep I’ve had full bloods and all normal Including deficiencies! My doc is thorough! Neurologist is going to organise an EMG that should either a) give a diagnosis or b) calm my anxiety down if clear. Just awaiting a date.

Neurologist is going to organise an EMG that should either a) give a diagnosis or b) calm my anxiety down if clear. Just awaiting a date.
    Good! Fingers crossed 🤞

Thread Information