Page 142 of 228 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 2272

Thread: Today’s headlines .........

Re: Today’s headlines .........

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I wouldn't mind trying it out. I've got a neighbour who does it in his back garden.

My GF used to do archery.
    I recall doing archery while staying at a Staffs CC-run outdoor education centre for a week with the last school I attended in June 1990 (I hated virtually every minute of said week, though that's all for another story in general).

While I only vaguely remember using the bow-and-arrow thingy (can't really remember whether or not I was that good at it), I do wonder whether such activities for youngsters would still be allowed in these more enlightened, H & S-obsessed times, even though they were fully supervised by staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    I do wonder whether such activities for youngsters would still be allowed in these more enlightened, H & S-obsessed times, even though they were fully supervised by staff?
    Lenco, a pen is a weapon in the wrong hands...

To answer your question, one of the activities for my lad's activity week at school was air rifle shooting. I really had a good go at trying to persuade him to give it a try, but he wasn't interested. (His mate did though, and he loved it)

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Lenco, a pen is a weapon in the wrong hands...

To answer your question, one of the activities for my lad's activity week at school was air rifle shooting. I really had a good go at trying to persuade him to give it a try, but he wasn't interested. (His mate did though, and he loved it)
    Well I never; the staff at your son's school must have been dead brave to let the kids do that in this day and age!

[QUOTE=Pain;2055673]Folks Are Dying To Do This...

human composting. But don’t try it at home – you’ll cause a stink with your neighbours.

Human composting creates an “unfortunate spiritual, emotional and psychological distancing from the deceased

https://www.independent.co.uk/climat...-b2170739.html

Where I used to live there was a huge cemetery (I didn’t actually live in the cemetery - that would’ve been really weird) and because there had been so many superimposed burials, there were small bones and fragments lying openly on the ground. When I mentioned this to the maintenance bloke, he said “Yeah, they play havoc with me mower.”[/QUOTE

I rented a house right near Pine Grove Cemetery and Crematorium when I was doing a course at WSU and found it peaceful.
    It sounds like a great idea,it would save the cost of a funeral service.

Well I never; the staff at your son's school must have been dead brave to let the kids do that in this day and age!
    Why? (They allow them to handle knives in cookery as well lol)

As you must surely know, most autistics are very safety conscious and rule abiding, so I don't see this as a problem. (Obviously every child is risk assessed before they are given this particular activity as an option)

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Why? (They allow them to handle knives in cookery as well lol)

As you must surely know, most autistics are very safety conscious and rule abiding, so I don't see this as a problem. (Obviously every child is risk assessed before they are given this particular activity as an option)
    But knives on the whole aren't primarily intended as murder weapons though, they're only 'fashioned' into such weapons through misuse by people who genuinely have a bit of a screw loose.

Guns on the other hand though are a different story.

And you're correct that the vast majority of us Auties are law-abiding and aren't psychopathic murdering maniacs.

But knives on the whole aren't primarily intended as murder weapons though, they're only 'fashioned' into such weapons through misuse by people who genuinely have a bit of a screw loose.

Guns on the other hand though are a different story.

And you're correct that the vast majority of us Auties are law-abiding and aren't psychopathic murdering maniacs.
    But an archery bow is a killing weapon like a gun.

Soylent green next?

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Yes, Ms Lee, I’m all for it. It could be a win-win set-up, with gas saved on cremations and (if the composting is done anaerobically, as in a commercial digester/biogas generator) a by-product of usable methane... with the remaining compost good for the roses or even crops. Crikey! why aren’t we doing this already?... Eight billion potential putrefactions – a green-ish business opportunity if ever there were one. I tell you, there are tons of mouldy old dough to be made.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Knives have an incredibly long history as weapons. (And many a sharp kitchen knife has been used as one)

Which is why there's no problem in autistics owning air-rifles etc. (It should be down to the suitability of the individual - same as with NT's)

The problem with people is that they cherry pick parts of the news, such as the Sandy Hook shooting. What Adam Lanza did that day is inexcusable and abhorrent. (Also, understandable when you see the whole picture.)

And that's the problem, because all some people see is that he had Aspergers. (That's all they need to see to form their opinion)

'He did it because he's autistic'.

Bullshit!

Correlation does not imply causation. There is a much bigger picture. Lanza was thought to have had an undiagnosed personality disorder and he was severely anorexic to the point of malnourishment (which means cognitive issues). Throw in some other MH issues, a gun obsessed mother, and minimal support from children's mental health services, and this is why the kid became a mass murderer. The reality is that autistics are far more likely to self-harm than harm others. So, it really pisses me off when people presume that we're all murdering psychopaths, because the reality is the complete opposite.

Any human being can become a murderer or violent in certain circumstances. I've hit back at people, twice. Granted, it was after years of daily abuse, but in those moments, I was completely out of control, meaning I could easily have killed somebody. No knives or guns required. I was just using my fists. (And I head butted one of them). The loss of control didn't happen because I'm autistic, it happened because I'd been mentally and physically abused for years.

I have to own my own behaviour and take responsibility for it - and I do. My behaviour was inexcusable, but also understandable when you know the history.

But, what about the people who mentally and physically abused me every day? They are also responsible for their behaviour, but the reality is that bullies and abusers rarely take responsibility for their actions.
    I was as safe with my air-rifle as I am with my driving, and everything else. (I can be trusted around sharp knives too)

There is the Psychosis in Autism diagnosis though. There was a boy at my daughter's school who was thought to have this..He was very intelligent but very frightening even at 13 when he left.

Page 142 of 228 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192 ... LastLast

Thread Information