Page 226 of 228 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228 LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 2272

Thread: Today’s headlines .........

Re: Today’s headlines .........

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Wow, that's really heartening and indeed encouraging Scissel. And in one of the most influential global settlements too!

Would have no doubt been virtually unthinkable some 20+ years ago.
    Yeah, we need to know more stories like this, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissel View Post
    Yeah, we need to know more stories like this, indeed.
    It also defies the typical longstanding stereotypes and perceptions of New York in general at the same time, and in a positive way.

Dutch musician Max Werner has passed away, aged 70. He was the drummer for Kayak. He then had a solo hit called "Rain in May" in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Watch This Space....

NASA invited to look into a very deep mystery.

"We are hoping that Nessie hunters around the world will help us reach the people at NASA [...] We are hoping to reach them through the power of social media..

Or you could just give them a call....

https://news.sky.com/story/loch-ness...egins-13113351

There certainly is a perplexing and undeniable mystery surrounding the Loch Ness Monster, which is... why do so many supposedly rational folks still believe there is one?

Years ago, in my late teens, I went monster hunting after reading The Search For Morag by Elizabeth Montgomery Campbell and David Solomon, who’d organised a scientific reseach project from Birmingham University. This wasn’t at Loch Ness but Loch Morar – a strangely disquieting and inexplicably sinister place, deeper than Loch Ness and with far less public access. I’d like to say I saw weird, monster-like things going on in those brooding dark waters, but I didn’t see anything remarkable at all, despite feeling in my own mind that in such a place anything was possible.... And that might be where all monsters lie and all woo-woo mysteries lurk... in the deepest recesses of our minds. The closest I came was when I caught a couple of brown trout; not monsters by any means, but they made a decent breakfast....
    People seem to get kicks from believing in all manner of nonsensical stuff.

Stuff like all vaccines are bad for everyone, impregnating us all with microchips and/or doing more damage to recipients than Covid, flu, MMR, etc, 5G masts cause Covid and/or spy on us, electric vehicles spy on and track every move their drivers and passengers make (what about smartphones which could in practice have similar capabilities of intelligence, but we never seem to bat an eyelid over those), the dangers of passive smoking are a myth, climate change is all made-up BS by the powers that be to 'control' our lifestyles, yadda yadda yadda!

And sadly many vulnerable and impressionable individuals are still being brainwashed by these brain-dead sad cases, despite superior evidence to the contrary in almost all of such matters.

But strangely not many people seem to believe in the phenomenon known as 'geopathic stress', which I have covered in other threads on here and fellow FMs have seemingly drawn a blank to.

No Pain, No Gain....

Using cash not only makes you smart but can save you a fortune!

A study found that people experience 20 per cent more physcological pain when they pay with notes and coins [so...] People should pay with cash if they want to make smarter economic decisions and save money ...

https://www.gbnews.com/money/cash-pa...dont-kill-cash

And, as several large retailers who ‘prefer’ plastic and electronic payments have found to their cost recently, when the chips are down it’s on the cards there’ll be the devil to pay....
    I have never strayed from physical cash and still continue to use it routinely.

Love Me, Love My Dog….

But children? Pffft!

… a pub sign which welcomed dogs but not children.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/real-lif...-sign-32597726

I remember when my local pubs were full of adults, quietly drinking, smoking, playing dominoes and darts, reading the paper and doing crosswords, getting into arguments and starting fights… in fact, generally enjoying themselves. Then things began to change…. First it was juke boxes full of pap music, then it was television showing sport, and around that same time came the maniacal beeping gaming machines, then – to cap it all – smoking was banned…. Now, and this seems really weird given all those improvements, those pubs have closed down.
    But what about the Global Financial Crisis that (incidentally) started soon after the smoking ban came into force, coupled with the longer term 'elephant in the room'; that is booze being obtainable much cheaper from supermarkets, etc, and various other factors that haven't been covered above that have also contributed to the demise of many pubs and clubs over the past 20 years or more?

Goin’ Like Smoke!…

Is this the fastest way to create an illegal cigarette-smoking sub-culture (or should that be a stub-culture?)?

It means that people born in or after 2009 will never be able to legally buy cigarettes, leading to an effective ban.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68825322

Maybe this new illegality could be referred to as the Peter Pan law…. All those born after 2009 will, forever and ever in the eyes of the law, be treated as children (and never, ever welcome in that bloke’s dog-loving pub) ….

As much as I'm all for discouraging youngsters from taking up smoking in general, I don't think this current idea is really practicable in many respects.

Plus I still very occasionally see parents/carers smoking in vehicles with children present, despite it being unlawful for almost a decade now, plus I've often been told by others that the authorities aren't really that interested in dealing with such matters a lot of the time anyway.

Sounds to me more like it's Sunak and Co desperately trying to remain relevant ahead of the forthcoming GE, but I bet you all a tenner had it been Labour or the Lib Dems who came up with such proposals they would have no doubt been met with uproar and derision big time!

This occurred in my tower block.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ley-knife.html

Enjoy jail!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    This occurred in my tower block.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ley-knife.html

Enjoy jail!
    Lunatics!

But at least you're now safe from those losers.

I have a busted up door. I emailed my housing officer to report on it, but he never responded.

The only way I can relocate quickly is by a flat exchange. Placing bids takes forever. They never even provide any indication of how long you'll be waiting for the call. They only gave me this flat to begin with, by putting me on homeless priority.

I wasn't technically homeless either. Before 2017, I was staying with my family. But it helped me to get a flat quickly. I was only bidding for a year with that rule, but the housing situation in Edinburgh is bad.

Page 226 of 228 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228 LastLast

Thread Information