Page 23 of 228 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today’s headlines .........

Re: Today’s headlines .........

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    There is definitely a rise in Nationalism in Europe, right across Europe.Some political parties like the Tories seem to be addressing it by embracing it ( hence expelling the 21 rebels ) rather than fighting it.We have lots of people who shout down human rights as just PC gone mad when human rights have in many countries been essential to people finding better lives.I'm pretty upset with politics at the moment but I'm hoping that the recent HOC collaboration could be a move towards a more collaborative politics and also proportional representation as an election method.
    It's nothing new really is it? Go back 10 years and the BNP were on the rise. Even so with all the shouting and marches they gained no power in anything. Then came UKIP which overlap into the far right parties and yet they gained no power. It has clearly been proven that UKIP only attracted people because they wanted a say on the EU. Once that was over they contracted greatly. Tommy Robinson is another resurgence of the likes of the BNP of the past but again they have no power, just shouting and protests. Now consider some other countries in the EU, or wider Europe, and see far right groups with real power. Italy, Poland, Austria, even Spain and Germany. I wonder if we are really so bad compared to what happens there? Or is it that our press give us less of view of the problems abroad so that we only see our own and assume we live in a very troubled country?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    How do you define the elite? Billionaires? To many working class people the bar is set far lower. Any MP is elite, big salary and insulated from the wrongs without much of a clue how things really are. People earning large salaries are middle class but can be considered elitist not only due to the financial side but how some view higher education to mean a worthier human being. These have long been working class complaints. Don't look just to the disaster capitalists and don't forget that all current systems are beneficial to the elites since they occupy both sides of such arguments.
    Yes, but we must protect our systems and institutions that do support the democratic process, for they are under attack. Just today I woke up to the news that some states are considering cancelling their Republican state primaries because other candidates are running against the incumbent, Trump. These states say they are supporting Trump by cancelling their republican primaries. The only thing they’re truly supporting is the downfall of our democratic process. They can’t see the Forest for the trees.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49623727

Thats got to hurt Boris. Amber Rudd has come right out and sent him quite a feisty letter of resignation.
    This is how many Remainers feel at the moment and some Leavers who don't want a No Deal.
    It really feels like Boris government is not seeking a Deal seriously.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49623727

Thats got to hurt Boris. Amber Rudd has come right out and sent him quite a feisty letter of resignation.
    This is how many Remainers feel at the moment and some Leavers who don't want a No Deal.
    It really feels like Boris government is not seeking a Deal seriously.
    She's in, she's out. There was speculation she would go as she was reported as considering her position but she just got drawn over the coals for it as she showed a lack of conviction and sold herself out even taking the job. I wonder how many of us really believed her when she thought she could change things from the inside? More like career first...

Do you think Boris even cares though? Click your fingers and another career minded MP drops into the slot. And Rudd is a minority constituency predicted to be booted out at the next GE.

I'm not sure what the strategy is or whether there even is one. Cummings seems like an unpleasant bloke who just likes the fight itself.

I can only see this going to a GE now.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Yes, but we must protect our systems and institutions that do support the democratic process, for they are under attack. Just today I woke up to the news that some states are considering cancelling their Republican state primaries because other candidates are running against the incumbent, Trump. These states say they are supporting Trump by cancelling their republican primaries. The only thing they’re truly supporting is the downfall of our democratic process. They can’t see the Forest for the trees.
    Are these the same kind of conservative states that have spent the last year undermining women's rights trying to test the federal case for abortion? Some of things these people have said are beyond belief and if they say that in the media what do they say out of it?

The thing is Vee our far right tend to be all shouty but then little ever happens. The Tories have lurched farther to the right and Labour farther to the left. If we get Brexit out of the way, since it's so polarising, we might be able to get back to something more moderate across the parties as they move onto other issues.

There have and always will be those who seek to change politics for their own gain, whether left or right (and moderate). I guess we have to ensure they don't remove the checks & balances that can be used to hold them to account or moving things to the executive that allow to much power to a government. But certainly with the UK the media can talk about such as the Tory ERG group and their backers wanting a low regulation no workers rights state but they aren't going to get it as they will quickly get booted out of power. The danger is perhaps more in slow creep or death by a thousand cuts as our NHS could face under such people.

I think there has been a lot written in analysis regards the Brexit vote and its roots in class.
    Historian Jon Lawrence tells us that to experience class at the wrong end of the scale, where you have been economically forgotten, culturally denigrated and politically marginalised it can become a fight against visible and invisible forces. Those invisible forces partly being projected onto the EU in this recent referendum vote & immigration.
    We saw traditional Labour heartlands vote for Brexit partly because of being forgotten and the belief that the coffers of Government were being spent in metropolitan areas especially London.

Some will vote out of protest at our own government which is bizarre if the EU have no fault in any of it. Cameron was criticised for backing Remain but to be honest it wouldn't matter as MP's on both sides represent the elite to those that vote this way. I do believe the PM should have taken a neutral stance and been there to guide, debunk and offer facts, etc but he threw his lot in with Remain and trotted out BS with them. That would only push more to vote against his cause just as Blair popping up causing a collective groan across the country.

But that's one of many reasons Labour heartlands voted Leave, I'm in one (or was as it flipped to Tory for the first time in it's existence of over 100 years in the last GE). People are unhappy with immigration because they can see it affecting them. Businesses bussing in cheaper labour losing jobs to locals and keeping wages supressed. Struggling to get NHS appointments because of the demands of immigration (and this falls on all our governments in not keeping pace with inward investment to meet population increases). Some have seen Labour councillors prioritising immigrants or ethnic communities when it comes to housing or housing upgrades (councils being afraid to challenge positive discrimination in some cases). My local Asian community have been complaining for many years about increased racism due to European immigration.

There was a narrative that UKIP and Leave could use to educate those disaffected people into voting for Brexit even though in many ways the people in the Leave project were part of the Elite with some of them having links with people shorting ( investment wise ) against the pound and British business.

Sadly it was all a shambles. I can honestly say that whilst my vote stands in my eyes I do know more about the technical elements that I should have been informed on before. But then how many of our MP's even understand it? Some of them even now get it wrong on TV in interviews, basic mistakes.

But I think there is a danger in buying into this narrative a certain element are selling that unless you are a professor or captain of industry you are too thick to know how to vote. Not everyone is so easily guided by BS and I'm of the mind that if by the time you reach the end of your twenties and haven't worked out ALL politicians speak with fork tongues then you are naïve. This argument is used to undermine the working class by reducing them to thick bigots. It's an argument for technocracy, not democracy. You have to take the rough with the smooth or democracy goes out the window.

Besides UKIP in GE's had never put up a manifesto with any real solutions in it. They typically exist due to feelings and as we have seen without Farage they are nothing. Why would they educate anyone? That's like thinking the SNP are going to educate you on how Scotland can live outside the union when you would be putting your trust in people who are biased.

But you are right, someone should have been educated us all. Not Leave voters, all voters. But even now it's BS between the UK and the EU with speculations being put out about things when we have clear written policies that state how it is and should be. There are too many people contradicting each other over here and over there.

A recent Tory thinktank has reversed the idea that people want more choice, social mobility and autonomy with the idea that people want to belong, they rallied around the Union Jack for Brexit and want to be protected by Government from the modern world and its ravages. The thing is in some industries the Government or any prospective Government has no idea how to deal with the march of Online selling vs the High Street or other such dilemmas within modern economies where the internet and globalism has really had an affect.

The Labour party appears to misread the politics of community as well and where it had a real connection with the working classes other parties have been able to begin to pick that apart and tell us a tale where Labour for some is more for recent immigrants than it is for long standing residents of the UK, that it is more about big political reforms like renationalisation than it is about all the small problems that people face in localities.

Did this start with the Blair years? It probably predates it too. I mentioned this above but in my area people would be unhappy with prioritisation of certain minorities by Labour when they were always seen as the party of the working class. They chased minority votes. But I think minorities are vocal and press for change whereas we are just used to it coming to us. One of the dangers though has been the fear of accusations of racism and as we are seeing with child abuse scandals local authorities were afraid to challenge people and some of them will have used that to their advantage. Perception management is very important, the press love a good discrimination story. Even now companies are terrified of telling people to go away when they raise a daft complaint about their advertising.

Discussions of immigration were stifled when it came to non white immigration and especially from Islamic states. Of course some of this was completely bigoted and racist but shouting down everyone became the go-to strategy. When this happens you get backlashes and with them come the real racists riding the wave and feeling vindicated because the normal people are endorsing them in their tiny little minds.

In some ways you do have to help ethnic communities more because of the additional challenges we face but as you say our governments just aren't very good at it. They lurch from nothing to 100mph and end up offending someone.

Succesful engagement with the modern working class does not seem to be about whom speaks to whom on the doorstep or about mystical working class values but perhaps its about essential needs of everyone being met. Often someone will say, how can that rich elite businessman go bankrupt to the tune of millions and yet I have to argue so long and hard just to get the universal benefits that im entitled to as teh safety net of this country.

With the housing issues that affect the young when buying into the housing market, low paid retail jobs that were in abundance dissapearing etc etc isn't it probably true that for many that a full, rich life , free of those stresses that are avoidable now feels quite hard for many to achieve?
    Changing industry needs to be met with new investment to bring in jobs. The trouble is, as my city has found, it's not an equal job that comes back. We used to have well paid pottery workers and now we have lower paid unskilled warehouse workers, call centre agents, etc. The companies that come here are tempted by low rents and lower salaries so they make their workforce redundant in one area and come here to save money.

Such issues, and many others of general unhappiness, predate the EU and take us back to Thatcher. We lost our pottery, coal and steel industries. Well paid, skilled jobs. Now we hump boxes about and get shouted at over the phone for minimum wage. But goods are cheaper as now they get made in China for a fraction of the price and we all pay less.

At what point do we decide to pay more so we have more jobs? If we don't we need new industries. We were lucky to see Japanese investment across the country but will we retain it now?

Are these the same kind of conservative states that have spent the last year undermining women's rights trying to test the federal case for abortion? Some of things these people have said are beyond belief and if they say that in the media what do they say out of it?

The thing is Vee our far right tend to be all shouty but then little ever happens. The Tories have lurched farther to the right and Labour farther to the left. If we get Brexit out of the way, since it's so polarising, we might be able to get back to something more moderate across the parties as they move onto other issues.

There have and always will be those who seek to change politics for their own gain, whether left or right (and moderate). I guess we have to ensure they don't remove the checks & balances that can be used to hold them to account or moving things to the executive that allow to much power to a government. But certainly with the UK the media can talk about such as the Tory ERG group and their backers wanting a low regulation no workers rights state but they aren't going to get it as they will quickly get booted out of power. The danger is perhaps more in slow creep or death by a thousand cuts as our NHS could face under such people.
    Yes, Terry, these are some of those same conservative states. It's like the people in these states are brainwashed. The towns are so small, it's like these people never get exposed to others different than they are...they never are exposed to new ideas...and when they are, it's soon denounced as "fake news" and "liberal crap". I'm sure you've seen a few of these brainwashed people here on NMP. That's really all I can give you to explain it...how people can vote for people and policies that work against them. I used to live in one of those states 20 years ago, and I never will again. It was like that 20 years ago, but they didn't have anyone in office to give them the "okay" for some of these beliefs. They wanted to be "shouty" but it wasn't accepted.

The only other theory I have is based on racism. Yes, the Civil War ended slavery, but through the "Jim Crow" laws in many of these states, most black Americans were disenfranchised from many of the rights they had gained as citizens. It wasn't until over a century later that it began to change. In many of these states, continuing racism was accepted even after the Civil Rights movement...the Confederate flag was still flown, people still said "the South shall rise again", the antebellum still romanticized, many activities were still segregated, like separate sports clubs for blacks and whites, black and white separate proms at school, etc. I remember when I lived back there, in school growing up (the 90's), they brushed over the impact of slavery causing the Civil War; instead it was about "state's rights." I remember the teacher discussing stats in class about the US becoming more and more non-white, and acting like it was scary, and all the kids being scared of it too.

Then in 2008, Obama gets elected. Now, he was not the perfect president, no president is or ever will be, but I think the message was in these states was "Look, everything that you think is wrong in our country right now, is the president's fault...but yeah, this one is different. He's black." Most presidents are usually blamed for the problems in a country, but they've always been the same color, and generally the same religion, as the people in these states. But then a president gets blamed and he's a minority. Suddenly policies once just associated with the democrat party or liberalism were now associated with being black and minority...and I think it felt like a threat to a lot of these people.

Will they ever admit it? Probably not. After all, they don't want to even admit that the war that killed the most Americans than any other war was caused by slavery, and slavery was bad for all classes, even slave holders. In fact, just to keep from admitting it, those kind of people would call what I'm writing to you right now as "revisionist history". The truth hurts.

And then a president was elected who voiced many of the racist and xenophobic sentiments that people had grown up with for years. Many Republicans sold their souls so-to-speak, to win their election. It's sad that support of one's political party has outweighed doing what's right. Even though I'm not registered as a Republican, I really respect Walsh and a few others who have chosen to run against Trump because they want to give their party a choice. The good news is, that even if Trump is re-elected, he can only serve four more years. Only time will tell though the impact on our country.

The two-party system has many draw-backs for both of our countries. While some argue that the parties can then act as watch-dogs toward each other, most of the time it just creates gridlock and a lack of choice.

The danger is perhaps more in slow creep or death by a thousand cuts as our NHS could face under such people.
    Agreed. Its already been done here. Look at the de-mantling of the Affordable Care Act.
    Last edited by AntsyVee; 08-09-19 at 05:43. Reason: typo

Aha, so they worked out our betters then. I think people may not realise that whilst the Roundheads removed the power of the monarchy back then there was a class system that strongly kept we little people in our subservient place. That might seem strange to Americans but black Americans might find some similarity in their second class status to the working class Brit in our history? We were cattle to the middle classes and aristocracy but then it's the same in the history of every nation to an extent (we had no cake and guillotines though...I studied French history and it was so much more exciting! )
    I'm a black American and that"s ......... baloney buddy and poorly expressed.

Damn, I said I'd keep off these current affairs topics. Must have OCD on top of all my other disorders

Quote Originally Posted by lebonvin View Post
    I'm a black American and that"s ......... baloney buddy and poorly expressed.Damn, I said I'd keep off these current affairs topics. Must have OCD on top of all my other disorders
    I meant in terms of having little or no civil rights (no vote, no working rights, etc) and the poverty the working class existed in. Society geared towards those who had status and the rest were worker drones for their benefit.

Hi Terry

Even by the odd norms of a mental forum, you're a strange one. Writing is not your strong point but I'm sure you have many other God-given talents. Nobody can be good at everything. I have to admit I get slightly embarrassed at some of your comments when it is obvious you have scant knowledge of the topic being discussed, but if you aware of that and it does not bother you, then please continue. You are doing nobody any harm. I will endeavour not to disturb you any further.

Best wishes

Charlie

Page 23 of 228 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread Information