Page 92 of 226 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: Today’s headlines .........

Re: Today’s headlines .........

🤣

So it's a construction process...a builder's black hole is pretty common during this

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    The Train Is Now Stopping….

… about half-way to its destination.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-11-16/keep-your-side-of-the-bargain-on-birmingham-to-leeds-hs2-boris-johnson-told

The Department for Transport will argue that HS2 trains will still serve Leeds, but on the mainline rather than HS2 tracks - saving tens of billions of pounds.

It will insist that its plan to invest £96 billion on the existing network will deliver benefits faster and more cost-effectively.

Which wouldn’t be difficult, considering what former deputy head of the review into HS2 Lord Berkeley had to say on the matter earlier this year:

“I therefore conclude that the HS2 phase 1 bill received Royal Assent only because ministers misled parliament multiple times, either by omission or misinformation, and that this misleading has continued with phase 2a – for a project now expected to cost £142bn, 10 times the original estimate.”

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/c...al-13-07-2021/

Predictably, this HS2 was supposed to be a superfast rail system with (highly dubious) benefits for all, but has become a lumbering white elephant. Scrap the whole thing, save £billions and £billions, and stop a huge swathe of countryside from being lost to the egotists’ grandiose fantasizing about national ‘infrastructure’.
    TBH, I think the whole HS2 project is a waste of time and money, and probably won't live up to all of its hype.

Just like the M6 Toll debacle, which most definitely hasn't lived up to its original intended purpose, that is, helping to reduce the ever-incressing traffic on the original/main M6 and parts of the M42.

Plus who can forget the other epic debacle that was the Millennium Dome?

Pressure groups wanted HS2 scrapped. Part of the line has been. Now one pressure group is starting to campaign against this decision believing it unfair on the locals putting up with poor infrastructure.

I've always questioned the rationale that Londoners will travel to work or go shopping up here. Why when bigger money, more jobs and more shopping exist where they already are? The various mayors up here seem to think it will boost us though.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Pressure groups wanted HS2 scrapped. Part of the line has been. Now one pressure group is starting to campaign against this decision believing it unfair on the locals putting up with poor infrastructure.

I've always questioned the rationale that Londoners will travel to work or go shopping up here. Why when bigger money, more jobs and more shopping exist where they already are? The various mayors up here seem to think it will boost us though.
    I suppose no matter what the event it will be met with derision in some way or another.

Jawohl Mein Hair…

“We are now getting dangerously close to the ‘elected dictatorship’ that Lord Hailsham, the former lord chancellor, warned us about half a century ago.”’ says Lord Clarke

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1960009.html

Oh, come off it! (There’s nothing so grudge-bearing as a sacked Uncle Ken.) Furthermore, I’d say the current tow-haired leader is back on the fast-track to being cancelled by his own party, making the sort of errors of judgement for which he’s becoming infamous. And, by the way, I’m not sure we need a House of Lords at all, and Uncle Ken’s position in it does nothing to strengthen the case in favour.
    Old Ken, the man trying to stop or water down the biggest public vote in my lifetime? Old Ken who was happy to let us slip further under control of a commission we had no say in or way to enact change of?

The Lords was simply created to keep the slightly less noble in power over those above & below. It's centuries out it date. A second chamber is a good thing but not one full of cronies in it for life doing very little for a pay out. They shove theirs mates and allies in there.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Old Ken, the man trying to stop or water down the biggest public vote in my lifetime? Old Ken who was happy to let us slip further under control of a commission we had no say in or way to enact change of?

The Lords was simply created to keep the slightly less noble in power over those above & below. It's centuries out it date. A second chamber is a good thing but not one full of cronies in it for life doing very little for a pay out. They shove theirs mates and allies in there.
    I think politics is outdated, period.

Ditto for stuff like education, criminal justice, healthcare, etc.

And not just in this country, but pretty much the world over.

Life sentences will be imposed on persons who wilfully physically abuse children (Tony's Law), according to the BBC.

IMO, a reboot of public concerns about physical abuse of children was long overdue, plus many naively seemed to believe that such atrocities were mostly a thing of the past, in which they're very wrong.

Of course, there will always be the 'bring back the birch/cane/belt/borstals/death sentence' brigades who constantly harp on about 'kids today' and boast about their being on the receiving end of extreme physical violence (well beyond just a little 'tap' on the backside) by their parents, teachers, etc as kids and saying 'never did me and my generation any harm'!

Culling To Curtail This Deadly Virus….

The action was taken in a bid to prevent a more widepread catastrophe following four separate outbreaks of the highly contagious bug in the region.’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1966671.html

The only reliable remedy?…. Is there nothing to be said in favour of face masks, social distancing and vaccination? Or could it be that turkeys have no human rights?...
    I'm sure I've read that bird flu isn't believed to pose a major threat to us humans.

The article talks of a 'lockdown' of birds, which is a difficult thing to do.

🤣🤣

Page 92 of 226 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread Information