Page 56 of 227 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Today’s headlines .........

Re: Today’s headlines .........

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Hey I'll check that out, Pain. Thanks...wow imagine journalists who question the status quo...if this is allowed what's next...demanding honest scientists and politicians? Come on, man.

How come you can apply this logic to other countries' issues but you can't apply it our own?

Well the XR'ers and a few others protested in style down in sunny Cornwall today, including a mass paddle in the Atlantic, and were praised by the Old Bill for protesting peacefully.

Well done protesters, keep up your best behaviours, as to paraphrase the Kaiser Chiefs, none of us want to predict a riot!

Also, kudos to the Old Bill for their handling of the situation so far, and let's hope there's no bad apple amongst any of them inclined to brutality, which could send it all pear-shaped in an instant, a la the G20 in 2009 and the Poll Tax in 1990 (both in central London).

Roger Waters of Pink Floyd:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/9ksRVJsvWc3B/

"Have a Cigar" friend.

The trouble with Linux is that everybody has their own interpretation of it and it suffers as a result; it's the old adage of a camel being a horse designed by a committee. Many of its alternative programs just don't cut it and I've also found it to be absolutely useless at printing. Plus, every time I boot this laptop into Linux, it wants to do an update! I think the only reason I'm not getting bugged to change to a new Linux distro is because I run a Long Term Support version.

It may be cool to slag off Windows but it hasn't got where it is by being complete crap - although it has been remarked that like "Star Trek" films, every other release was the crap one!

I suspect Windows may move to a subscription model, rather like Office 365.
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 16-06-21 at 13:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    The trouble with Linux is that everybody has their own interpretation of it and it suffers as a result; it's the old adage of a camel being a horse designed by a committee. Many of its alternative programs just don't cut it and I've also found it to be absolutely useless at printing. Plus, every time I boot this laptop into Linux, it wants to do an update! I think the only reason I'm not getting bugged to change to a new Linux distro is because I run a Long Term Support version.

It may be cool to slag off Windows but it hasn't got where it is by being complete crap - although it has been remarked that like "Star Trek" films, every other release was the crap one!

I suspect Windows may move to a subscription model, rather like Office 365.
    systems
    It's all money-making - designed to make you keep replacing your laptop with bigger and more powerful hard drive to accommodate new operating systems. Windows 10 can be a nuisance when it goes into week-long daily update mode but they seemed to iron out the earlier problems with it. Office 365 just filling the pockets of Microsoft though. You can do just as well with Google Office which has no subscription ... yet...

Quote Originally Posted by dorabella View Post
    systems
    It's all money-making - designed to make you keep replacing your laptop with bigger and more powerful hard drive to accommodate new operating systems.
    Only if you're fool enough to fall for this.

My laptop - itself bought secondhand - started off as W7 but with a few cheap hardware upgrades is still more than capable of meeting the demands of W10.

As for Office: having had Office 2010 and realising how crap it was I binned it and bought a cheap copy of Office 2003 Professional. Add on the XML Compatability Pack so it can read stuff made with later versions of Office and you're away.

The only thing it can't read is stuff saved in the Open Document Format, which is increasingly being used by the Government. Booting into Linux and using Libre Office sorts that

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Only if you're fool enough to fall for this.

My laptop - itself bought secondhand - started off as W7 but with a few cheap hardware upgrades is still more than capable of meeting the demands of W10.

As for Office: having had Office 2010 and realising how crap it was I binned it and bought a cheap copy of Office 2003 Professional. Add on the XML Compatability Pack so it can read stuff made with later versions of Office and you're away.

The only thing it can't read is stuff saved in the Open Document Format, which is increasingly being used by the Government. Booting into Linux and using Libre Office sorts that
    MY PC came with Windows 10 installed, but I too have an old laptop with Windows XP and another with Windows 7 which still work with the old Office 2003 on them - just occasionally hit a compatibility wall when new doc.x files and occasionally pdf won't open. Think a lot of people just get caught out when Microsoft announce that versions of Windows operating systems will no longer be supported. One big con really .. as many of us have realized.

Pain, have you read the book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks? If you haven't I think you'd really enjoy it (I don't know if you're a reader like me, but you seem like it

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    Pain, have you read the book, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks? If you haven't I think you'd really enjoy it (I don't know if you're a reader like me, but you seem like it
    I've read it. Quite a shocking story, but a fascinating book.

Page 56 of 227 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread Information