Page 3 of 226 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Today’s headlines .........

Re: Today’s headlines .........

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    This is three days out of date, but never mind - there's nothing else in the news worthy of attention. *Who calls their dog ‘Jesus’? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47997507 When I saw this story I wondered why, given the dog’s name, it didn’t just walk back to dry land. Then I thought what would have been more amusing would’ve been if that dog had been trapped in a cave, but when the fire brigade rolled away the stone blocking the entrance, all they found was its collar… *Joseph and Mary Carpenter…?No dogs were harmed in the making of these jokes!
    Did he emerge to cries of "he hath risen!"

I’m 54 years old and I had General Studies alongside my O levels. It did cover a little bit of Local Government & Home Economics but then the rest of it seemed to deal with Modern History, like post 2nd World War. I think Democracy, Economics, Budgeting, Current Affairs etc would have helped more. The most political subject for me was RE O level that I took in my lunch breaks as an extra subject. To be honest that was the only subject where we ever discussed morals and rich and poor. In History we even tended to just learn by wrote, no debate.

The news is saying Extinction Rebellion is the biggest civil disobedience in modern U.K. history if you base it on arrests made.

i saw a great placard from a youngster ‘If you can’t be Adults then we will’, thought that was classy

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    I’m 54 years old and I had General Studies alongside my O levels. It did cover a little bit of Local Government & Home Economics but then the rest of it seemed to deal with Modern History, like post 2nd World War. I think Democracy, Economics, Budgeting, Current Affairs etc would have helped more. The most political subject for me was RE O level that I took in my lunch breaks as an extra subject. To be honest that was the only subject where we ever discussed morals and rich and poor. In History we even tended to just learn by wrote, no debate.
    I'm 43 and O Levels were out when I was at school. I wonder if that caused some of the change?

From reading about the experiences of others at school online it feels like it can depend on the quality of school. I went to a secondary modern but I've seen those saying they attended grammar schools found there was much more than the curriculum being taught.

The news is saying Extinction Rebellion is the biggest civil disobedience in modern U.K. history if you base it on arrests made.

i saw a great placard from a youngster ‘If you can’t be Adults then we will’, thought that was classy
    I for one have just planted 2000 trees in the fields around my home to offset Emma Thompson's next film.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I for one have just planted 2000 trees in the fields around my home to offset Emma Thompson's next film.
    hahaha, yes I think the irony of Emma flying in for the protests was perhaps lost on her

however, the climate rebels are asking the right questions surely, Greta Thunberg for me is to be admired, has her Aspergers given her some clear sight that this is just all wrong and something needs to happen

renewables are out there to be used far more widely than we are

hahaha, yes I think the irony of Emma flying in for the protests was perhaps lost on her

however, the climate rebels are asking the right questions surely, Greta Thunberg for me is to be admired, has her Aspergers given her some clear sight that this is just all wrong and something needs to happen

If she was flying back home anyway, and not making a special trip to offer support, then I can let her off for that. It's more that in her line of work she will be dwarfing my footprint and yet she wants me to change!

I think someone so young being passionate is a good thing but there is a lot of hysterics over all this too and that just puts them into loon territory. Storming out of interviews, acting like children spitting dummies. Their tactics are dubious and there selection of dates odd. Shut down the place when the politicians are in town, not when they are no their hols

I find their targeting of social travel strange. These methods help reduce car use. If we were at a stage where cars we out and the trains were now the problem then I could see it but their message at the moment seems to be to boycott public transport. And their reduction targets seem unrealistic. Five years is nothing.

The UK seem to be doing well in reduction targets. The trouble is, if the US & China don't want to play ball they will take us all down with them even if we had 0% of anything.

Wasn't there a recent study that said we are already past the point of no return? We can still try to slow it down at least.

But I think the issue here isn't the public but the corporations. They will keep pumping out all their plastic until they forced not too. Some companies are making efforts, I get updates about the campaign to stop making plastic rings for beer, so people are having an impact. For me though these people are taking on an issue with a reasonable head on their shoulders and not this over the top stuff that will just turn the public off them. We are limited in the choices we can make to purchase, and not all of us are as privileged as some of the people in XR , and we will all be contributing negatively because of globalisation.

But I do hope none of these supporters are vocal against things that bring business back to the smaller business? They are aware that means higher pricing?

TBH, she is just another useful idiot for the Oligarchs, like Malala Yousafzai and many others. Although, she does seem to be much smarter than Malala. Using children to push their nefarious agendas is a favourite modus operandi of the establishment. They have been at this for a long time.

This is something I found incredibly sad:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...riend-14548405

A mum-of-four filmed in a Twitter video rowing with her boyfriend was found dead at her home.

Maureen Bowcock, 40, was battling depression and was 'devastated' when the footage went viral online, an inquest heard. The 30 second video appeared to show her angrily prise open the door of a moving bus before chasing her partner down the street.

An inquest heard Miss Bowcock became so worried about the effect the film would have on her children she began drinking heavily.
    All for the clicks and a good laugh and a troll. She won't be the first or last to feel this way but social media will continue to allow people to act like the horrible people they are and give them a platform to take their issues out on others.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Huawei How many times can Mrs May make the wrong decision on any subject and still be considered competent (she’s got a popularity rating in her own party of minus 73.5% for goodness sake!)?
    Reminiscent of a recent Bond film? Or maybe the US Homefront 2 game where the North Korean's put their chips into everything and when the US defaulted on their debt they pulled the plug and invaded.

GCHQ say they can monitor them by keeping them close. Given the close interests of the Chinese government in what their corporations do I wonder how they can keep them out of our security?

Page 3 of 226 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information