Page 1 of 226 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Today’s headlines .........

Today’s headlines .........

So today I was reading that in at least 10 councils in England, Agency Social Workers make up 30 to 45% of the Social Work work force. When you consider how bad we are are getting people into the Nursing profession currently can we ask when and why did these gaps get so big and begin to cost so much. Agency staff mean increased costs but also Agency fees meaning money not going on care but on Agency fees ?!?

Apparently £350 million was spent on Agency Social Workers in 17-18.

The Guardian carries comment from Social Workers that locum jobs just help them pay the bills better where as salaries in Council posts are just not competitive.

Now an an interesting thing I never realised about Agencies from a tax point of view, some of the biggest recruitment agencies have head companies that are registered in the Cayman Islands so I’m guessing some creative accounting is going on as well here.

Re: Today’s headlines .........

Part of it is about outsourcing too. Agencies save you needing to pay for advertising and some level of weeding out of unsuitable candidates. In some jobs companies do little of the interviewing at all and even don't take responsibility for HR.

That would be unlikely in a role such as social workers.

We also pay a fortune to private mental health therapists. Then there are people like Capita for various roles that would have been civil service in the past.

A big question is what is the quality like? Is it worse when through private companies?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Part of it is about outsourcing too. Agencies save you needing to pay for advertising and some level of weeding out of unsuitable candidates. In some jobs companies do little of the interviewing at all and even don't take responsibility for HR.

That would be unlikely in a role such as social workers.

We also pay a fortune to private mental health therapists. Then there are people like Capita for various roles that would have been civil service in the past.

A big question is what is the quality like? Is it worse when through private companies?
    I think thats the $64,000 dollar question, what is the quality? It seems the suspicion is that its worse than directly employed staff but the information on quality seems slim. I've always been nervous of the need to ensure that the Social & Civil services can be carved up by private companies.

Yep, this is an area that should be very tightly controlled but we've seen the horrendous mistakes of Social Services in the past. I take it they have full oversight in any private social workers and their cases so it's more about ensuring they have the right qualifications & experience to do the work.

But there are major issues with social care in general that has been privatised. Care homes need much more control. I think I remember signing a petition to create a post for a minister to take this on as a distinct role. Currently it's part of the NHS in terms of ministerial remit. I wonder whether that means it gets largely ignored in favour of the NHS who are much more vocal?

Outsourcing allows them to bring people in and dump them out as demand changes. I would find it hard to believe this is an area that ever decreases though.

Yes, it doesnt feel like an outsourcing model is needed as demand for Social Services appears to be increasing across the board.
    Social Care for the Elderly - Increasing in need.
    Social Workers for Familial problems - Increasing in need.
    I think your instincts for a Minister with Oversight is probably right and proper. Im guessing its overseen by by CQC as are Hospitals and GP Surgeries.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Here's my photo of a black hole.
    Attachment 4734
    If you look really closely you'll see Brexit stuck in the event horizon forever...........................
    Aye, Pain. Stretched and extended like a piece of spaghetti for ever

Never Surrender, Comrade

Attachment 4734
    If you look really closely you'll see Brexit stuck in the event horizon forever...........................
    All that surrounding gas from Boris, Mogg, May & Gove ..........

Attachment 4734
    Is that BoJo's 3rd nipple?

It is pretty amazing we have photos of a black hole though or rather what's around it. How sad Stephen Hawking wasn't around to see it.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Perhaps Hawking is IN the black hole?

I fear Brexit will soon be entering its event horizon never to be seen in its "intended form" again

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 1 of 226 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information