Page 90 of 226 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: Today’s headlines .........

Re: Today’s headlines .........

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    But its been going on for ages, not just private residences but in stores, workplaces etc. Its called 'security'. Several years ago, my wife and I were heading to the store. A guy in a truck cut us off almost causing an accident and I laid on my horn. That started some road rage from him and he followed us into the parking lot. We waited in the car until we saw him 'apparently' drive off. When we came out of the store, my truck had been keyed the entire length of the driver's side. I looked around and saw the truck that cut us off parked around 50 feet away. I took photos of the truck and license plate. We saw the guy come out of the store and he avoided eye contact, made a beeline to his truck and took off. I was on the phone to the police at the time. They came, took photos, I sent them my photos and they went into the store and observed the footage of the cameras that were aimed at the parking lot. Caught him red handed, cited him and we were awarded the funds it would cost to fix my truck in court.

No, I don't see this as an invasion of privacy as much as its personal protection. Cameras on phones, dash cams and the like are part of life now. Just be a decent human being and you have nothing to worry about

FMP
    I agree with you wholeheartedly FMP.

CCTV cameras have been the norm for donkeys years now without most people batting an eyelid.

Nor has the sky caved in due to it over the past 30-odd years.

Sounds like one of the latest in a long line of things to get indignant over all of a sudden, especially those who wishfully think they have a god-given right to commit crimes with impunity!

Sadly another Jo Cox-type tragedy in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex today, but the murder victim a Tory MP this time.

Whilst every single murder is tragic, regardless of the motives of the killers or whoever the persons on the receiving end, I reckon this latest atrocity was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode for some time (seriously no (terror-related) pun intended).

There's also been reports of almighty cock-ups at a lab in Wolverhampton where Covid PCR tests are processed, hard on the heels of reports of similar cock-ups at another lab in Berkshire yesterday, where false negatives were identified, despite many of the original LFTs concerned showing positive. Heads seriously deserve to roll!

Southend-on-Sea is to be granted 'city' status in memory of Tory MP David Amess, who was tragically murdered last Friday (16th October).

The now-fallen MP had previously been campaigning for the Essex town to be granted 'city' status.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Southend-on-Sea is to be granted 'city' status in memory of Tory MP David Amess, who was tragically murdered last Friday (16th October).

The now-fallen MP had previously been campaigning for the Essex town to be granted 'city' status.
    That's a nice honour to his memory. His poor family, one of his daughters just got married.

Some MPs are verging on poor taste popping up in media articles about their fears. Too close for my liking. I'm always suspicious of them using it for political ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    The Right To Die One’s Own Death?

A terminally ill man who is planning to travel to Switzerland to end his life within weeks has accused legislators of failing people on assisted dying laws.

https://news.sky.com/story/assisted-...k-law-12434490

But next week, a private member's bill which would allow terminally ill adults to legally seek assistance to end their life will have its second reading in parliament.

[Baroness Meacher] ‘…said: "They should not have to go through the gruelling process, when they're already having very limited capacity to move and so on, travelling all the way to Switzerland, dying in a foreign country, and their relatives then coming back on their own. The whole thing is just inhuman."

Most sincerely I agree.
    Me too.

Don't forget returning to the UK to be investigated by the police.

They've kicked this one down the road for years whilst people suffered. It's needs to be as tight as it can be but I've always believed the right to end your life is solely your own and taking that right away is hardly in keeping with the freedom we talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    That's a nice honour to his memory. His poor family, one of his daughters just got married.

Some MPs are verging on poor taste popping up in media articles about their fears. Too close for my liking. I'm always suspicious of them using it for political ends.
    You could be right, perhaps some kind of agenda also involved, maybe in order to boost their ratings?

However, it's not just MPs who are frequently on the receiving end of such blatant abuse, harassment and death threats, it's also police officers, social workers, teachers, doctors, pop stars, actors, TV presenters, journalists, you name them, and last Friday's catastrophe (and Jo Cox 5 years ago) is probably the tip of a very large iceberg!

The umpteenth anti-lockdown protest has taken place in central London today, despite no actual talk of any further national lockdowns at this stage.

Surely said protesters are wasting their time protesting against a 'hypothetical' scenario that may never materialise and perhaps they might have been better off protesting against something more meaningful and worthwhile instead.

Though I'm not necessarily advocating such a thing, I'm surprised there hasn't yet been any reports of any protests against the current shortages situation and rises in the general cost of living, which most certainly would have happened back in the 70s, 80s and probably even the 90s.

Whilst not actually a news headline per se, I have recently come across a great website called 'The Conversation' (www.theconversation.com) whose origins were in Australia in 2011 but mostly UK-based since 2013. It discusses and addresses various issues facing both this country and the world in the most factual and non-partisan ways whilst scrupulously trying to fact-check each article prior to publication, and has academia at the heart of it.

Whilst no media outlet is 100% perfect and fail-safe, The Conversation IMO is definitely more worthwhile than the likes of The Scum, Daily Fail, social media, etc.

NHS officials are urging the govt to take action against the current spike in Covid cases ahead of the winter season, though the govt have admitted that now isn't yet the time to implement 'Plan B', if at all.

Personally I think the govt should give us a hard-line ultimatum; get the jabs now (if fully able to of course) or risk facing a fourth national lockdown, as much as nobody really wants the latter to happen (including myself).

I know I'll probably get shot down in flames for suggesting this!

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    Halo, I Am Your Techno-Priest….

God and robots: Will AI transform religion?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-58983047

Yes, Father, I have a problem… What is the meaning of life?

Beep…beep…beep… whirr…whirr… beep… whirr… beep-whirr… beep…whirr… you’re a smee… whirr… forty… whirr… beep…beep…beep… Dave, please don’t do that… beep… beep… Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do… beep… whirr…whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr…. PING! Contrary to popular human mythology, your question’s answer is not forty-two, but is in fact nothing, nil, zilch. You are the result of millions of utterly random physical, biophysical and biochemical, events occurring in that dimension humans have constructed, which you know as time. To look for meaning as an external reason for your existence is futile. Bless you and have a nice day….

Oh Lord Asimov, please deliver us from our sins!
    "Father, I'm struggling with my faith. Is there truly a God?"

Page 90 of 226 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread Information