Page 2 of 226 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Today’s headlines .........

Re: Today’s headlines .........

There are some very strange things going on in London at the moment. For instance, climate change protesters are currently bringing the place to a stand still. But what's strange about this? Look at some of the photos and see how old some of them are and mixed with with lots of young people. I thought all the oldies were to wished into death for Brexit

In other news 1 in 3 people aged 18-34 aren't even registered to vote. What? After the last 2 years? So, they are as apathetic about politics as before.

And in religious news former Pope (I thought you had to die? ) writes about how child abuse is caused by priests not being allowed to have sex and changing attitudes in the church towards sex taking them away from traditional teachings. This follows 2 cardinals (they were senior, if not) writing exactly the same not long ago.

Will the Roman Catholic Church ever move forward from enabling child abuse?

Lots of people are celibate whether through choice or not. The traditional move of the cheater has been to find another partner or visit a prostitute and NOT to abuse children
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 15-04-19 at 15:22. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    How do you know he isn't? Perhaps he was a metaphysicist - metempsychosis...?
    Quote Originally Posted by KK77 View Post
    Perhaps Hawking is IN the black hole?

I fear Brexit will soon be entering its event horizon never to be seen in its "intended form" again
    True. Maybe he uploaded himself and he's now some powerful AI? Imagine the level of memory needed for The Hawk's brain...mine would get uploaded on a ZX Spectrum.

I like how they called the telescope the Event Horizon Telescope. I've seen that film... When they develop the photos (a dark room for developing photos of a black hole ) will some evil seep out of them? It's a future plotline for a film at least.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    There are some very strange things going on in London at the moment. For instance, climate change protesters are currently bringing the place to a stand still. But what's strange about this? Look at some of the photos and see how old some of them are and mixed with with lots of young people. I thought all the oldies were to wished into death for Brexit

In other news 1 in 3 people aged 18-34 aren't even registered to vote. What? After the last 2 years? So, they are as apathetic about politics as before.

And in religious news former Pope (I thought you had to die? ) writes about how child abuse is caused by priests not being allowed to have sex and changing attitudes in the church towards sex taking them away from traditional teachings. This follows 2 cardinals (they were senior, if not) writing exactly the same not long ago.

Will the Roman Catholic Church ever move forward from enabling child abuse?

Lots of people are celibate whether through choice or not. The traditional move of the cheater has been to find another partner or visit a prostitute and NOT to abuse children
    1. There are still plenty of old Hippies out there it seems, the Blackpool shale gas protests are primarily older folks when I have driven by.
    2. 1 in 3 not registered to vote, I think this is really really sad, we need this apathy broken somehow ..... I dont know how to do it with integrity though. You can almost see marketing execs thinking lets use Reality TV stars and the Beckhams to get youngsters on board and that feels low rent.
    3. I think the restrictions of your faith should not result in child abuse, child abuse is weak humanity and can not just be wished away as a result of celibacy. People should be stronger than that when it comes to under age sex. Attitudes to adult sex probably need to change but thats no excuse for child abuse. I agree with you, infidelity by Adults consensually is an outcome you can live with.
    4. The RCC is trapped in a dialogue with itself that is like the Ourubourus worm.

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    1. There are still plenty of old Hippies out there it seems, the Blackpool shale gas protests are primarily older folks when I have driven by.
    2. 1 in 3 not registered to vote, I think this is really really sad, we need this apathy broken somehow ..... I dont know how to do it with integrity though. You can almost see marketing execs thinking lets use Reality TV stars and the Beckhams to get youngsters on board and that feels low rent.
    3. I think the restrictions of your faith should not result in child abuse, child abuse is weak humanity and can not just be wished away as a result of celibacy. People should be stronger than that when it comes to under age sex. Attitudes to adult sex probably need to change but thats no excuse for child abuse. I agree with you, infidelity by Adults consensually is an outcome you can live with.
    4. The RCC is trapped in a dialogue with itself that is like the Ourubourus worm.
    1. True. Plus when it comes to local protesting it's going to bring out older generations with more roots.

2. Yes, I hope we don't come to this more Americanised way to grab voters through pop star influence or siding with their reality stars who are likely seen as a cynical way to buy voters (I thought that about the Clinton vs Trump one).

How do we compare to other countries? Is it not a localised trend?

Is it because society is changing it's priorities? Maybe we have so much on the go these days we don't see voting as such a big deal anymore? It used to be a bit of a right of passage as learning to drive or moving out might be, becoming 18 and 21 key to the door stuff. Now you matter, now you have a say and people listen which was something younger people wanted.

By 34 you most likely have a family, mortgage, settled career, etc so I find it quite strange they are so low. I could understand it the closer you get to 20 as you naturally are getting out there and enjoying you freedom but not at 30.

About youth voting...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39965925

Just 43% of 18-24-year-olds went to the polls, compared with 78% of people aged 65 or over, according to Ipsos Mori. (To estimate how many old and young people vote at elections, you have to look at opinion polls). That's a huge gap of 35 percentage points.
    There's been a similar gulf for the past 20 years, but it wasn't always like that. As recently as 1992, the gap was just 12 percentage points. Then, 63% of 18-24-year-olds voted. The old aren't voting more now - but the young are voting far less.In some ways, the low turnout isn't surprising. Young people are mobile and many are students who live away from home - groups which have among the lowest levels of voter registration, according to the Electoral Commission. They are often voting for the first time, so haven't developed a habit, unlike many older people.

What a pathetic excuse, student mobility. As students they will be paying utility bills, have tenancy agreements, etc and yet a very quick online registration to vote is too much for them?

They haven't developed a habit yet we keep seeing them marching for their future?

I remember when I turned 18 I was encouraged by my parents not only for the right to vote as having a say but also that it would help with building my credit profile. Surely the latter at the least is worth something to young people?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42747342

So, now real change in the vocal youth groups that are complaining their future is on the line? Yet in the media we so often hear the young are mobilising to change things around. Where are they? They still aren't voting. So, are we just being misled and it's only vocal minorities?

I was so incredibly keen to vote as soon as I was 18. I wonder what has seen this malaise set in with the young, is it too much to feel that they don't feel listened to or is it simply that they just don't really care about politics ??

What do we think we should do about it ? Should we have compulsory voting but you are allowed to spoil your ballot if you want none of the above ?

A rough week for poor Jeremy Corbyn, what with the protesters glued to the wall outside his house (it would have been hilarious if the media pulled up to see him telling them to clear off ), Shadow Home Secretary Dianne Abbott flouting the no alcohol rules and then the mistake of bread at Passover when wishing the largely alienated Jewish community a pleasant time

I was so incredibly keen to vote as soon as I was 18. I wonder what has seen this malaise set in with the young, is it too much to feel that they don't feel listened to or is it simply that they just don't really care about politics ??

What do we think we should do about it ? Should we have compulsory voting but you are allowed to spoil your ballot if you want none of the above ?
    Me too, a bit of a right of passage like driving, moving out, getting your first job, etc. Perhaps not as big but another one of those things where you felt you were finally joining the world that previously saw you as a child.

It seems to have happened since 1992. I'm wondering whether it's more a cultural thing? Maybe the advent of all the new technology has shifted their focus into new areas?

I'm not sure how they would even know no one cared about their votes & views at that age as they are naïve about life as we all were. Apathy usually kicks in later when you realise it's all pointless as it's SSDD no matter what you do. I don't think they have the excuse someone closer to 30 has.

I'm not against compulsory voting, imagine how that would have helped Brexit , as long as it's sensible about why & how you can opt out. Don't New Zealand have it?

Since nothing has changed despite all the furore over youth vote mobilisation it makes you wonder whether even creating a voting app would deal with it? Perhaps you earn some Likes if you bother to vote? The Pope seems to have embraced the new age by offering reductions in your purgatory that used to take real effort, now reduced to liking him on Facebook Talk about cheapening things.

More education perhaps? Schools do a lot more these days than we were young. Sex education was all very new when I was about 14 and other than that all we ever had were lessons about our subjects. Now they are being proactive in teaching about respect for difference, LGBT+ issues, etc. Why not politics too? But I don't mean create an opportunity for brainwashing, and teachers are more liberal in nature, and we don't want the whole pushing of activism seen at universities. But why not some awareness of why you can vote?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

More education perhaps? Schools do a lot more these days than we were young. Sex education was all very new when I was about 14 and other than that all we ever had were lessons about our subjects. Now they are being proactive in teaching about respect for difference, LGBT+ issues, etc. Why not politics too? But I don't mean create an opportunity for brainwashing, and teachers are more liberal in nature, and we don't want the whole pushing of activism seen at universities. But why not some awareness of why you can vote?

I would like to see General Studies make a proper return as I feel that we ought to teach children impartially about current affairs but they also need lessons on money management & budgeting etc. Maybe some lessons regards volunteering and charity and how all that works.

I would like to see General Studies make a proper return as I feel that we ought to teach children impartially about current affairs but they also need lessons on money management & budgeting etc. Maybe some lessons regards volunteering and charity and how all that works.
    Yes, I agree with all that. I don't know what it's like now but in my day primary school was more important to your life in terms of getting you prepped, secondary was just about passing your GCSE's. Even the careers advice stuff was just woeful.

Considering they are doing more for sex education and sexuality/gender issues and trying to teach more inclusivity I would think they could include what you say to make it more about moving into adulthood.

I can't remember at what stage I learned how Bills become Acts, how tax works, etc. Likely it was across different subjects (we had a fantastic history teacher). But General Studies was Sixth Form for us (I opted for Business Studies instead, those who did GS said it wasn't very good though) which is too late.

Something more like this would be like other countries. The US seem to teach their constitution early on. Germany have something called Ethics which replaced any teaching of religious studies (that was the worst subject I did in secondary and I recall it was really more about Christianity) and I wonder if they cover far right stuff too as they have strict laws because of their recent history so they are more sensitive to those issues of hate.

This really wouldn't take much at all. It's a different debate to whether GCSE's are much use and whether more practical training is needed. I think for most of us are GCSE's were just bits of paper to get you to the next stage...some of this I learned I have only found myself using when answering TV game shows!

Page 2 of 226 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information