Page 25 of 226 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Today’s headlines .........

Re: Today’s headlines .........

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Yes. Please let's crash out without a deal, so that Jacob Rees-Mogg's company can avoid the incoming EU laws that will make them pay more than the £0 tax they currently pay on their £100M/year profits, and so that Boris' private donors can make millions out of our businesses failing. This is who Brexit is really for, them, the mega-rich tax avoiders and those that will make a mint selling off our public services, like Aaron Banks, not us. We are the fodder, not the beneficiary.
    Disaster Capitalists will make their money whether they sought to drive the process or had no involvement. Stay in or leave these types on both sides make their money because that's all it is to them. They also probably want out because of the EU's attempts at levelling taxes and shutting down tax havens. But what these people want has nothing to do with the rest. Just look at the left wing Leavers who have their own reasons and obviously don't align with the far right types. The Brexit Party has an incredibly broad church considering it includes ex Communist Party members but it seems everyone is getting into bed with each over Brexit on both sides of this. We need to get beyond it soon to get back to everything else and that's where all of these strange bedfellows are going to find themselves distancing each other.

Terry,
    I agree that the wider Agenda has been ignored for far too long because of Brexit.
    I guess thats something that a General Election will fix once Brexit is delivered.

Tony, given the major issues we already have with the NHS it would be good if a special cross party committee were set up to see through the issues of Brexit. Regardless of what happens there should never be a shortage of any drugs (some are ones we are on for mental health) and whilst they are stockpiling I think it should be given additional focus compared to many other issues. The drug companies are hiking their prices up due to stockpiling too so additional budgeting may be needed and I don't see why the NHS should squeeze this out of an already tight budget.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 10-09-19 at 18:58.

Jeremy Corbyn announces improvements to worker's rights. I would love to see the back of zero hour contracts and unpaid internships. https://www.theguardian.com/politics...r-tuc-congress

So you all, I haven’t been to the UK in like 15 years. Are e-cigarettes and vaping as common there as it is here?

Quote Originally Posted by AntsyVee View Post
    So you all, I haven’t been to the UK in like 15 years. Are e-cigarettes and vaping as common there as it is here?
    Yes, it's very popular. We also have loads of shops just selling the stuff. We did have ads on TV for them for years but they seem to have disappeared now.

I remember seeing something interesting, it might have been a US article, about young people vaping who never smoked. There were concerns it was seen as cool and just creating a new problem.

And now we have some reports of deaths attributed to it, many including THC. It's going to be interesting to see where it goes.

Hi Antsy

I'm just lovin our little spat here! It's far more interesting for readers, if anyone is actually reading. This section seems to comprise the same 3 or 4 individuals including your good self who have conspired to agree on the dullest of topics which is a regurgitation of what you can read in a newspaper (I guess that's why it's called Headlines lol). If it makes you happy then great.

Glad you knew about the LR9. Did you read her book? It's actually not as interesting as the movie and appeals more to those with a Christian bent.

Enjoy

Charlie xx

Yes, Terry, these are some of those same conservative states. It's like the people in these states are brainwashed. The towns are so small, it's like these people never get exposed to others different than they are...they never are exposed to new ideas...and when they are, it's soon denounced as "fake news" and "liberal crap". I'm sure you've seen a few of these brainwashed people here on NMP. That's really all I can give you to explain it...how people can vote for people and policies that work against them. I used to live in one of those states 20 years ago, and I never will again. It was like that 20 years ago, but they didn't have anyone in office to give them the "okay" for some of these beliefs. They wanted to be "shouty" but it wasn't accepted.

The only other theory I have is based on racism. Yes, the Civil War ended slavery, but through the "Jim Crow" laws in many of these states, most black Americans were disenfranchised from many of the rights they had gained as citizens. It wasn't until over a century later that it began to change. In many of these states, continuing racism was accepted even after the Civil Rights movement...the Confederate flag was still flown, people still said "the South shall rise again", the antebellum still romanticized, many activities were still segregated, like separate sports clubs for blacks and whites, black and white separate proms at school, etc. I remember when I lived back there, in school growing up (the 90's), they brushed over the impact of slavery causing the Civil War; instead it was about "state's rights." I remember the teacher discussing stats in class about the US becoming more and more non-white, and acting like it was scary, and all the kids being scared of it too.

Then in 2008, Obama gets elected. Now, he was not the perfect president, no president is or ever will be, but I think the message was in these states was "Look, everything that you think is wrong in our country right now, is the president's fault...but yeah, this one is different. He's black." Most presidents are usually blamed for the problems in a country, but they've always been the same color, and generally the same religion, as the people in these states. But then a president gets blamed and he's a minority. Suddenly policies once just associated with the democrat party or liberalism were now associated with being black and minority...and I think it felt like a threat to a lot of these people.

Will they ever admit it? Probably not. After all, they don't want to even admit that the war that killed the most Americans than any other war was caused by slavery, and slavery was bad for all classes, even slave holders. In fact, just to keep from admitting it, those kind of people would call what I'm writing to you right now as "revisionist history". The truth hurts.

And then a president was elected who voiced many of the racist and xenophobic sentiments that people had grown up with for years. Many Republicans sold their souls so-to-speak, to win their election. It's sad that support of one's political party has outweighed doing what's right. Even though I'm not registered as a Republican, I really respect Walsh and a few others who have chosen to run against Trump because they want to give their party a choice. The good news is, that even if Trump is re-elected, he can only serve four more years. Only time will tell though the impact on our country.

The two-party system has many draw-backs for both of our countries. While some argue that the parties can then act as watch-dogs toward each other, most of the time it just creates gridlock and a lack of choice.

The two party system dominates our politics. I grew up being told we have 3 parties and one is pointless so we really vote between the two. Being in a working class city this meant Labour always dominate at local and national levels. But now both parties are declining we are seeing the possibility of more coalitions and Confidence & Supply Agreements. These might stretch beyond two parties in cooperation which is something seen across the rest of Europe on a more frequent basis (Germany are very used to it). To be honest I welcome this because the two main parties just play football with the NHS and the opposition spend their time jeering at the government when they were often no better before (and may have been introducing the very changes they are now jeering at). This is one of the reasons people see it as a load of nonsense.

From seeing what some Americans have said about the recent abortion law challenges I found it interesting that within these states there is a clash between metropolitan areas and the rest. They said religion was stronger outside of these cities but due to the voting system they were stuck until those areas see a decline in that.

We have some of this over here too with religion. You might have seen the news about the recent clashes in Scotland? They have links to Northern Island and the marches of the past still occur although more on the NI side with Scots travelling over there. It's bizarre to see this in Scotland now. It's always been there with the clashes between 2 football clubs and the areas they live in but we associate it more with NI where clashes are more common. NI's history means it will take generations to remove hatred so it's to be expected, especially in the more neglected areas, but it's dangerous mix of religion with nationalism vs unionism. We really don't want to see this coming back full swing through Brexit!

Rather weirdly we even had some Confederate flags over here at one point if I remember the news correctly. Tony might remember more. The English flag has long been stolen by the racist element such as the BNP but we seem to be gradually winning it back. Not so long ago you wouldn't display a flag even in footie season out of fear you would be considered BNP.

greed. Its already been done here. Look at the de-mantling of the Affordable Care Act.
    Slow creep being one of the issues some have with the EU. Many argue to stop that you simply stay in because you can vote against it however it only takes the rest to redefine the voting to change that and if we are the only ones holding the rest back there is an argument we either get on board or take a different route.

But back to the NHS we can see how the PFI is currently crippling hospitals in interest.

Whilst there are many who are now getting private insurance through employers and happy to pull the ladder up behind them our social care is very important to us. Anyone who put scrapping it into their manifesto would be as popular as if they wanted to scrap disability benefits.

An issue you guys have to keep an eye on seems to be whether Roe vs Wade could be overturned in the SC. I find it strange that courts can be loaded with people based on politics to be honest. They will always have their bias even if the judiciary are separate but I've always had the impression the US SC is a power grab opportunity. And aren't a couple of your more liberal ones getting quite old now?

From reading a bit about the abortion law changes being enacted at state level it is interesting to see some are even advancing laws to protect women in more progressive states to combat the possibility of the federal law being overturned. It would be a massive step backwards as I'm sure you will agree.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 11-09-19 at 03:20. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Yes, it's very popular. We also have loads of shops just selling the stuff. We did have ads on TV for them for years but they seem to have disappeared now.

I remember seeing something interesting, it might have been a US article, about young people vaping who never smoked. There were concerns it was seen as cool and just creating a new problem.

And now we have some reports of deaths attributed to it, many including THC. It's going to be interesting to see where it goes.
    Yes, there have been a few people I've met who vape but haven't smoked an old-fashioned cigarette or only smoked them for a few months. I don't know any stats on it. There have been several deaths high-lighted in the news in the past week. My students were taking bets on what they think they're laced with today...

Yes, there have been a few people I've met who vape but haven't smoked an old-fashioned cigarette or only smoked them for a few months. I don't know any stats on it. There have been several deaths high-lighted in the news in the past week. My students were taking bets on what they think they're laced with today...
    I think what I previously saw was connected to one of these:

https://ash.org.uk/wp-content/upload...e-Use-2019.pdf

ASH found it wasn't about being cool and that they try it but not necessarily continue.

It's probably an expensive hobby for someone at school when it's just a nice looking/smelling stick in your hand as opposed to those using nicotine or THC.

Page 25 of 226 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread Information