Thread: Worried about palps

Worried about palps

I've been having palpitations since last Tuesday and I'm getting worried about them now :(

They last about a second (or less) but I've been having them throughout the days. It's driving me mad, I could be sitting around not doing anything and I'll still have them. Normally they don't bother me but they've been going on for quite a while now. They're pretty consistent. I get a few every hour. I'm sure I've probably missed some where I haven't been paying attention.

I'm not sure if I should get checked out or not. I don't want to become obsessed!

Re: Worried about palps

If it's really bothering you, it's always worth getting checked out (provided you haven't already brought this up with your doctor and gotten the all clear). But I can say that skipped beats and stuff are very common in people with anxiety and usually harmless. For me they are especially prevalent when I haven't slept well or haven't eaten enough during the day. On my worst days I've gotten anywhere from 15 to 30 an hour.

The more I worry about the palpitations, the more I tend to get them. So either way, please try not to stress over them - I know this can be tough, as it's an extremely unpleasant feeling (especially when you're getting a lot of them), but I'm sure many others on here will tell you they'll diminish the less attention you pay them. That's just the nature of any anxiety symptom. And heart palpitations are a VERY common anxiety symptom, so, like I said, feel free to get checked out just in case, but try not to worry over them.

On my worst days I've had multiple per minute prolonged for days. I've got posts on here about them some time back. I've had them take me to hospital so many times I've lost count.

Thinking about them and focusing on them WILL make them worse because the thinking and focusing is negative, which means it's anxiety. You think about it so often that you monitor, and focus. Your brain is hyper aware of what the heart is doing and every skip and beat you feel.

But when you shift the focus they stop, and if they do happen you will not notice them or let them bother you. There's only rare occasions they will scare me and thankfully not really had any episodes in a long time that caused any serious worry or concern. But, I get ectopics daily. They just don't bother me in the slightest. It's like a hiccup.

But, my anxiety has shifted from my heart to my stomach, so it's all swings and roundabouts at the moment. It's the same anxiety, but a different focus lol!

It takes practice and patience to ignore them, but it's very possible.

If you haven't been checked out, it's good to get a checkup. 99% of the time there's nothing wrong and it's just anxiety. You'll go through a few tests and then you can put your mind at rest. It's a very very common problem, especially with anxiety. Hospitals see people like us on a daily(?) (ok definitely weekly) basis because it's common.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Hey Wired, how frequent were they for you on your bad days?

Quote Originally Posted by DivineAngle View Post
    Hey Wired, how frequent were they for you on your bad days?
    Many per minute lasting for days. It's rare I have episodes like that. I have them ever day. I can't guess how many because I don't notice. Maybe 10-20. They don't even register in my brain when they happen anymore.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Hey guys, so thanks for your previous replies - I did read them!

My palps went initially for a few weeks.... but they're back now. Properly worrying me as it's been a full week them again. I'm getting like, a single THOMP every five minutes or so.

I think I should get checked out but I don't want to seem oversensitive as they went away before.

Im in the exact boat as you. Since tuesday Ive been having maybe 20-30 a day. Got it in my head Im going to drop dead any minute. Ive become ap hyperaware, in the morning I actually sit there and think if I'll get one. Whihc no doubt is bloody making me have them!I've found I dont have any (or I do and I dont realise) when im in the bath. Or if Im busy doing something - leading me to believe its my anxiety playing up again. It sucks. Ive booked in my gp for wednesday, maybe just book an appointment for your piece of mind.
    Just wanted to give you some reassurance and say I've been the same the last couple of days.

Thread Information