Thread: Ditching escitalopram: what do I switch to? Advice please.

Ditching escitalopram: what do I switch to? Advice please.

I’ve been on escitalopram for about a year. It has ‘cured’ my anxiety, but gives me hypo mania, bruxism, ear pain, sinus pain and I feel rotten most of the time.

I need to take something, as I know from experience over the last 20 years. My psychiatrist has mentioned Prozac in the past, but isn’t that even more activating/stimulating than escitalopram? Paroxetine was the first med I tried and it worked well but made me 4 stone heavier and took me 18 months to withdraw from. I believe this is the only SSRI not to be over-stimulating.

I have an appointment next week to discuss alternatives and would really appreciate any advice or insights anyone could offer here.

Thank you so much.

Re: Ditching escitalopram: what do I switch to? Advice please.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    I’ve been on escitalopram for about a year. It has ‘cured’ my anxiety, but gives me hypo mania, bruxism, ear pain, sinus pain and I feel rotten most of the time.
    The easiest option might be to try citalopram. While it is essentially the same drug, the side-effects can be different. You should know within a week or so if it works. If it doesn't then sertraline would be my pick.

My psychiatrist has mentioned Prozac in the past, but isn’t that even more activating/stimulating than escitalopram?
    Maybe, maybe not. Some find it very stimulating, others sedating. It comes down to individual DNA.

Fwiw, I can't take SSRIs either due to mania, so have taken a tricyclic for over 30 years, initially imipramine, and for the last 25 years dosulepin. You're unlikely to be able to get dosulepin, but imipramine or amitriptyline would be worth a shot, imho.

Re: Ditching escitalopram: what do I switch to? Advice please.

Hello, and thank you for your reply.
    In the end I went for low-dose Venlafaxine, an SNRI, and things are better.
    I was on Trimipramine for 10 years. It helped with anxiety, but I slept 12 hours a night, and looking back, it suppressed my personality. Heart palpitations were always an issue, and had become worse over the years. My mind was made up for me when the price skyrocketed and the NHS would no longer prescribe it for me. It would have cost them about 30k a year just for me! I went into a fast taper, which was inflicted on me, and that combined with the ups and downs of trying to find an alternative took away a year of my life.
    Amitriptyline gave me urinary problems, and in any case, I couldn’t see myself on another tricyclic long term as it had the same effect on my heart.
    I’m hoping I have found “the one”, but this quest for peace seems a never-ending one.

Thank you so much for your message. I wish you well with your medication.

Thread Information