Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HIV Fear

Re: HIV Fear

OK. I have booked a RNA HIV test for Monday morning. It is apparently 99% accurate (but was expensive). Hopefully this will all be over soon!

Told ya so gang will be on standby

Hi all. So I had the RNA Test yesterday which was 16 days after exposure. I tested negative. Whilst I was very happy with the outcome, I phoned the Terrance Higgins Trust after just to check how accurate these tests are. The person on the phone, who seemed very knowledgeable, said that they were 'not recommended for diagnostic testing' in the UK and aren't as reliable as other tests. He told me that my chances of exposure are very limited and the test accuracy is still 90-95% accurate but that I should test again.

I am happy to test negative but it hasn't allowed the nagging feeling in my mind to disappear. I am annoyed as I paid a lot of money for the test.

I know it is common among people with HA to ignore test results and doctors comments, but I feel there is a genuine issue here with test accuracy.

That's still largely reassuring (even though we don't need reassurance as there is no evidence you were actually exposed to the virus.)

Something worth bearing in mind - and I say this having (had) severe health anxiety. No test is 100% accurate. That's something we have to learn to accept.

Get the 4th Gen HIV test at 28 days post exposure from your GUM clinic (can also be done at GP surgery, in my trust anyway)

But, again, I'll emphasise you do not need this testing.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by telltheking View Post
    I know it is common among people with HA to ignore test results and doctors comments, but I feel there is a genuine issue here with test accuracy.
    But I don't think there was a genuine risk with exposure in the first place.

I would move on from this and resume normal daily life. It was an error of judgement.

Never Surrender, Comrade

genuine issue here
    The genuine issue here is anxiety. Your post is literally a textbook response to this fear and there are dozens and dozens of similar threads just like this on the boards.

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 16-04-19 at 16:17.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Continuing HIV worry

Hi all.

I posted on here a month ago. I was very concerned about 8 weeks ago, about having HIV after a drunken and incredibly stupid sex with a prostitute whilst abroad after I woke up to find (brown - I suspect menstrual) blood on my penis the following morning. This is despite there being a used condom on the floor. I am aware that the risk from a single encounter with a female (even a prostitute) is incredibly low (less than 1% - even if she was HIV positive).

I had a rapid RNA test done 16 days after which has an accuracy of 90%+ which came back negative. I also was tested for chlamydia and gonorrhoea which also came back negative. I have had absolutely no symptoms of any kind.

I cannot however stop worrying about having it. The worry from that initial 16 days has been seared into my brain and I cannot stop it. I have been feeling depressed for the past 2 weeks and have been drinking heavily. I know deep, deep down there is nothing wrong with me. It is the guilt and shame of what I have done given that I have a partner which is also getting to me.

I have had this feeling of all-consuming worry before and its always health related but I cannot remember it being as bad as this.

Re: Continuing HIV worry

I cannot however stop worrying about having it.
    Try harder then.

You've already been given a ton of reassurance on here AND been tested as negative.

What else do you expect people here to tell you?

You can stop worrying about it, find something else to fill your time.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

While I am certainly not a therapist or mental health expert in any way, shape, or form, my gut tells me that a great deal (if not all) of you anxiety is spawning from the guilt and shame you are feeling about what you did. I don't think any degree of reassurance that you have not contracted HIV will help with that. I think you should focus on finding a way to deal with the feelings you have surrounding those actions. You cannot go back in time and change things, so you need to accept that you did something wrong and decide how you want to handle that and how you can move on from it.

We all make mistakes. We're human. You clearly see that you did something wrong and understand the potentially horrible consequences, which will hopefully make you very unlikely to repeat this behavior in the future. Talking with a therapist or a trusted friend may help you work through this situation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information