Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What are some physical reasons for unexpected anxiety?

Re: What are some physical reasons for unexpected anxiety?

What kind health practitioner told you your stress hormone levels are out of balance? I'm curious because most medical doctors dismiss the theory of cortisol levels and adrenal fatigue issues. And you peaked my curiosity when you mentioned pantothenic acid because it triggered the memory that a nutritionist had given that to my 4 year old son when he was suffering terribly with mood and emotional disorders and it DID help a lot! I'll have to read up on that - it was so very long ago.

Yes, sitting quietly makes you notice the adrenaline surges more, yet getting up and doing exercise seems to give me MORE nervous energy, so I'm not sure what the answer is. I'm going to try going to the gym much more often and hope my body adjust to the new level of physical exertion and maybe I'll see less adrenaline surges.

By the way, I'm down to 2 cups of caffeine a day - an amount I never thought possible!
    Sue

Personally I don't believe there is a medical condition such as adrenal fatigue. I have no answers re agitation-sitting with it is impossible and exercise/trying to keep busy to counteract adrenaline is pretty useless for me. I recommend a general anaesthetic though..wonderful!

I do think this is something we need to accept, no matter how uncomfortable and distressing it is. Some people can find ways to lessen their anxiety and others have to lump it and not get angry and frustrated. I'm certainly in the latter camp!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Personally I don't believe there is a medical condition such as adrenal fatigue.
    There is no medical condition such as adrenal fatigue because it's very, very difficult to test for and has no marketable cure. It absolutely, 100% exists. It has been described and observed since the dawn of time. I've had it a couple of times, including now. The second time I observed it happening and was able to predict how I would feel over the following weeks, which I'm experiencing now. What I'm NOT experiencing now are psychosomatic symptoms because I saw it coming. It's a combination of 'always on' adrenaline rushes and absolute fatigue.

General anesthetic, LOL. I guess that could work but would get very expensive!

I don't know whether adrenal fatigue is a real thing or not, I'm still torn 50/50. No, there are no tests for it so the doctors dismiss it, but it certainly makes sense that our adrenals would get tired and start to fail..... they are an integral part of our bodies and things wear out.

Good for you for now seeing the signs of an upcoming crash. And good for you for having the strength to just accept it and let it pass. That seems to be key in all anxiety issues. But that's really, REALLY hard to do when you have a busy, chaotic, stressful life. Now that I've been away from my job for almost 5 months, accepting and listening to my body is so much easier. It simply was not possible to do when I was keeping up the pace I was.

Meditation for those who don't have the luxury of leaving their jobs? I'm still practicing, and I understand it takes a LOT of practice, but I think it's going to be worth it. And even for those who don't have any extra time in a day, I'm sure they can find 15 minutes somewhere, somehow.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by ankietyjoe View Post
    There is no medical condition such as adrenal fatigue because it's very, very difficult to test for and has no marketable cure. It absolutely, 100% exists. It has been described and observed since the dawn of time. I've had it a couple of times, including now. The second time I observed it happening and was able to predict how I would feel over the following weeks, which I'm experiencing now. What I'm NOT experiencing now are psychosomatic symptoms because I saw it coming. It's a combination of 'always on' adrenaline rushes and absolute fatigue.
    I have that but my lifestyle is challenging as a carer.

The doctor I saw is a GP but he also practices accupuncture and tries to treat his patients with natural supplements, vitamins and good diet wherever possible.
    I went to him because I hate taking medication and also because I find accupuncture can relax me for up to 48-hours afterwards.

He sent me for blood tests because he knows my history of chronic anxiety and when he saw the results he confirmed that my stress hormones were out if balance.
    He explained that when a person has chronic anxiety and panic attacks this does happen. And it's understandable when you think about it. Our bodies aren't designed to release or deal with that much cortisol or adrenaline. (Where does it all go if we don't use it?)

Im going to continue with the Pantothenic Acid. I must admit I haven't really given it a chance as I stopped taking it after two weeks because I had surgery and had too much other medication to take.
    You say you remember it helping your son which is interesting.

As far as the adrenaline surges go, I feel it must be due to an imbalance caused by chronic anxiety.
    In my case I had six months of constant anxiety and panic due to health issues. This has been resolved now and I'm no longer anxious at all. These surges are definitely a result of my body being flooded with those stress hormones.

I'm going to continue exercising because for me it definitely helps more than trying to sit still when I can feel the adrenaline rushing through me.
    Also, keeping my mind occupied at those times is a big plus. Focusing on the rush makes it ten times worse.

I could accept it if I had an explanation for it. More research should be done regarding the release of excess stress hormones into the body and what the after effects are.
    It may not be adrenal fatigue but there is definitely some damage done. A doctor I saw explained that the adrenaline, if not used up, causes inflammation in the body. I agree with that and it makes sense to me.

Throughout my long anxiety journey I've had periods where I've felt unwell. I wouldn't call it fatigue at all. But my head will feel fuzzy as though I'm coming down with flu, except it never gets worse. I just feel unwell, but the Doctors can never find anything wrong.
    Eventually I found a doctor who also uses accupuncture and treats patients with natural supplements and vitamins wherever possible. He explained about the inflammation caused by the body being flooded with adrenaline and the imbalance of stress hormones after periods of chronic anxiety. It makes sense to me especially after years of experiencing it first hand.
    He's given me Pantothenic Acid to take.

Hello Beckybecks I also get these adrenaline surges each and every day my friend for about 3 months now but have had GAD for 40 years,I just carry on regardless but I am also light headed most of the time,I could go on but I don't want this to be a negative post,but trust me it is anxiety,have a good day my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilega View Post
    Hello Beckybecks I also get these adrenaline surges each and every day my friend for about 3 months now but have had GAD for 40 years,I just carry on regardless but I am also light headed most of the time,I could go on but I don't want this to be a negative post,but trust me it is anxiety,have a good day my friend.
    Thank you for your reply. It's reassuring to know that others go through the same. I find it hard to just accept it and still hope for some answers as to what causes this.
    I understand what you say, there are so many symptoms from anxiety, too many to list! I too have had periods where I'm light headed or dizzy. I found that if I pushed through and carried on life as normally as possible this symptom would leave in time. I hope it's the same for you.

I'd be interested to know which blood tests showed that your stress hormones were out of balance, Becky?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information