Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What are some physical reasons for unexpected anxiety?

Re: What are some physical reasons for unexpected anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    But don't most decent people do this anyway?

I do feel that"compassion" has just become another buzzword in today's extensive vocabulary of buzzwords. What about just being kind?
    I think that a lot of people still do, but I'm saying that my feeling of compassion has increased dramatically since I had anxiety. I also think the basic human instinct for compassion is being eroded by self centred, right wing thinking these days.

But it's not just about feeling it, it's doing something about it as well.

I think most people are very self-centred these days. It's not until you get a taste of adversity/ mental health issues that you realise what really matters in life.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I think most people are very self-centred these days. It's not until you get a taste of adversity/ mental health issues that you realise what really matters in life.
    So I guess, if you really want to put a positive spin on our anxiety issues, that WE are the lucky ones.
    Sue

I'd rather be anxious and empathetic than supposedly confident and self-centred but generally disliked. I think anxiety gives you more insight into life and life's challenges and I reckon that's a positive quality to have? We appear to view anxiety as a "bad" thing but is it really?

I think anxiety disorder is a bad thing, anything that impacts your life negatively is a bad thing, but as something that happens to you in your life that's a wake up call which perhaps forces you to make changes for the better? Possibly.

There was that picture that did the rounds a couple of years ago, the toddler lying face down dead on the beach. I struggled with that image for a while as I had a child exactly the same age at the time. However, I read lots of dismissive comments where people were blaming the parents of the child etc etc. I hate these people, I hate that we live in a world where any other reaction that devastated compassion is the normal response. These kind of people will see that image, scoff at the image with righteous opinion and then go an applaud the latest Apple key note speech without ever thinking about it again.

I appear to be ranting.

I have a recent example of "compassion versus dismissive": yesterday I was out running errands and saw an elderly man holding a homeless sign and he had a dog with him. I drove by as my heart broke a little because, as you know, I'm compassionate towards humans but VERY dedicated to saving animals. His image haunted me through my next errand and I turned my car around and went back to where he and the dog were standing. I don't normally give cash to the panhandlers since a lot of them are simply drug addicted and looking for quick cash, but on this day when it was almost 100 degrees outside and very humid, I felt badly for both of them and wanted to do something, besides money, to help if, in case, he truly were in desperate need. I always carry dog food, water, dog bowl, leash, blanket, etc. in my car since I rescue animals. I went up to the man and the dog and explained that I don't carry cash but that I did have supplies for the dog and plenty of water and protein bars for the man if it would help him. He was very grateful, very respectful and polite, and we chatted for a while about our love of dogs. After spending about 20 minutes with them I got in my car to leave and a woman came running over to me from across the street. She asked me why he doesn't put his dog in a shelter. I told her that he had said the only thing that gives him the will to keep living and trying was his dog. She scoffed, and told me that he was probably just another drug-addicted panhandler who was looking for easy money. She continued to berate me for helping him while I realized that arguing with her was senseless, so I thanked her for her insight and started to drive away. She then started yelling at the homeless man and as I pulled away I heard her screaming at him that she was going to call the police on him.

So: was he truly in desperate need of help or was he a drug addict looking for cash for his next fix? Who knows. But was there any harm done by my helping him with water and dog food and a blanket? No. Did it make he and I feel better about the world? Yes. And what about the screaming lady who was angry at me for helping and angry at him for panhandling? Did she feel better after her tirade? Did the man and his dog feel better after being humiliated and screamed at? I don't really care if the man walked down the street and got into an expensive vehicle and then drove to his mansion: I was concerned about other living things in this oppressive heat and I helped in a way that didn't support his drug habit, if he has one. Yes, I'd do it again, but it seems I have to worry more about the dismissive people and cynics hurting me than the people who are doing the panhandling.
    Sue

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information