Thread: Cervical cancer fears are causing me a breakdown :'(

Cervical cancer fears are causing me a breakdown :'(

Hi,

I posted a week or so ago about some bleeding after sex, i have completely lost my mind now and could do with some kind words.

A few weeks ago i had some bleeding after sex (this was just when i wiped) i then went to bed, i woke it the middle of the night and once again when i wiped there was more blood, this didn't happen again though.

I went to the GP the next day and she did an internal and took some swabs (these have come back fine) she said my womb looks fine from what she can see and as my smear is due this year to book in and have one done (booked for 18th)

I went home feeling ok only slightly worried that is until a few days later the doctor called to tell me my swab had come back fine and that as my smear wasn't due until a few months time that the lab might send it back? so she said if i wanted i could be referred for a colposcopy which i said was fine.

I then received a letter a few days later saying my referral was being reviewed and i would hear the out come soon.

Around 3/4 days after i had an appointment come through for the 9th may!

The last week i have been experiencing lower back pain and for a few months pelvic pain (almost like very mild period pain)

The back pain feels like i have been bent over for a while?.... Mostly on the sides of my back and hurts more as the day goes on or if i move a certain way, this with the bleeding is sending me into a tailspin, i have been crying almost constantly for 2 days and just terrified i have cancer, i have noticed that i am getting a slight uncomfortable pain when going to the toilet and sometimes only going a tiny bit, so though maybe an urine infection? i have made another appointment to see my gp today to check.

I am finding myself unable to plan things after the 9th in case it is and i cant do it, i am due to go on holiday on the 28th and cant/wont plan or get excited.

It just seems so odd that this has all come on so quickly!

Just to add i am also taking prednisolone (steroid) for the last month due to a unrelated problem.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has been through something similar.

Also wanted to check if anyone knew if you have back problem if it could cause pain in your pelvis leg area?

Thank you for reading

xxx

Re: Cervical cancer fears are causing me a breakdown :'(

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Mid-cycle and post-coital spotting is very common and almost never cancer. I have it too and am yet to have an abnormal smear or a positive HPV test (though I'm paranoid about it constantly).

Getting referred for a colposcopy sounds kinda extreme if you're up to date with your smears and your next one is due really soon! I'm surprised your GP went for that. Have you ever had an abnormal smear?

I guess if the colposcopy puts your mind at ease then it's a good thing but in a way I think you'd be better off just waiting for your smear... and almost certainly getting a clear result. I know how horrible it is not to be able to enjoy life while you're worrying, though.

Urine infection is more likely. Have you had that tested? You might need antibiotics.

Tldr I don't think you have cancer and nothing you've said sounds very worrying or strange.

I had that, too, many, many years ago. It ended up being a small polyp.... it was removed right there in the office - problem solved. Not cancer, you'll be fine.
    Sue

Thank you for replying, you have helped a lot, I have never had an abnormal smear but it was quite a new doctor, the one I saw today did say she probably would not have sent me had it been her.

She doesn't seem concerned at all and said she is almost 100% sure it's not cancer so I am feeling a little better now

X

Hi,
    It looks quite positive don’t you think? No one seems concerned at all.

I have had bleeding after sex before, which is quite common.
    Also I have a cyst on one of my ovaries - from the minute I was told this I had pretty much daily abdominal aches that almost miraculously disappeared within days of being told my cyst wasn’t cancerous. That was about 6 weeks. Don’t underestimate what anxiety can do to you.

Thank you all for your reassuring words, I'm trying to put it to the back of my mind, but sometimes it just creeps up, still having lower back pain and tummy pain but hopefully I will be able to put it to rest soon

X

Thread Information