Today marked a landmark event for me. Today I broke down in tears after I had my final session of psychological therapy for a condition that almost cost me so much. 2 years ago today I was starting to get symptoms. 18 months ago I couldn’t leave the house, couldn’t drive, I couldn’t focus on anything other than the symptoms I was getting, and I was ready to drop out of medical school and delay my working life by at least a year. Today I am 8 months qualified as a doctor, I can drive, I can go out alone, and I can have a life again. Therapy has literally given me my life back.
Mental Health is something not spoken about nearly enough and something I feel is chronically underfunded. The reason I am sharing this today is to encourage you to seek help if you feel you need it. I know it’s not always easy to talk to people you know (although I’m always here to listen!) and sometimes therapy is the best way forward. I just want to let you know that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel, from someone who 18months ago was convinced there definetly wasn’t.