Thread: citalopram and clarythromycin

citalopram and clarythromycin

Hey
    has anyone got any experience of taking clarythromycin with citalopram. I've just started 20mg of citalopram for last 5 weeks and been prescribed clarythromycin for a chest infection. I'm worried cos when I googled it it said they could cause a fatal heart arrhythmia if taken together. I asked the pharmacist and he said it was fine and doctor surely wouldn't have prescribed it if it was dangerous....ahhh its causing me panic attacks!

Re: citalopram and clarythromycin

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Both drugs can prolong the QT interval, which is probably where you're getting these scare stories from.
    This would be concerning in an old, "failing health" individual, but in a young, healthy person, this wouldn't be as much of a concern, especially with a low or moderate dose. This is very much so a clinical decision, with risk:benefits being established.

As I don't know anything about you at all, I am only giving very basic advice, not specific to your case.

You should follow your pharmacists advice.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    This would be concerning in an old, "failing health" individual, but in a young, healthy person, this wouldn't be as much of a concern, especially with a low or moderate dose. This is very much so a clinical decision, with risk:benefits being established.
    Agree with RG. There is a theoretical risk of QT prolongation but 20mg of citalopram is a low-moderate dose. Also, there appears to be an interaction between clarithromycin and ALL AD meds.

Sure you will be just fine

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thanks so much guys, you've really put my mind at ease. I seem to have terrible anxiety around taking meds.
    I am 37 female with no known heart conditions so im sure it's ok!

The advice I would give, is if you're scared of taking medication, is in future to ask your pharmacist if you can take a new drug "every other day", with a day off in between, until you feel comfortable enough to get to a therapeutic dose. You could also ask about halving tablets, again until you feel comfortable to take a therapeutic dose. Ask about other formats e.g. if you prefer liquid to tablets.

Do not do this without first consulting your pharmacist, as doing so with particular drugs (e.g. anti-epileptics, Parkinson's, antibiotics, anticoagulants, list not exhaustive!!!) would NOT be appropriate and could cause severe harm!!!

This would NOT be appropriate to do with Clarithromycin. So don't do it for this drug!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

Thank you x

I've been getting really bad panic attack last 24hrs. thinking this may be the antibiotic? my chest isn't getting any better either. do I stop taking them?

Thread Information