Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some days I have zero appetite, and this causes me to worry.

Some days I have zero appetite, and this causes me to worry.

Today has been a good day. I spent it mostly outdoors and did lots of gardening and tinkering around the house/garden. I've been spending far too long locked indoors because of acrophobia and today wanted to get out and do something.

But, I have this constant nagging problem. I don't know if it's anxiety or something more. But my appetite is shot to bits. Some days I can eat like a horse, other days I feel sick and have no appetite. Today is one of them. I don't feel hungry. I've hardly ate. Maybe 3 bags of crisps, a sandwich and a handful of chips. I was feeling very hungry at around 5pm so I sat down to eat some chips and after 1/4 of them felt full and sick so I left them.

I don't know if it's anxiety or not. This "feeling sick" feeling has been happening for a while. I fear being sick. The moment I get a stomach pang of any sort the anxiety kicks in and I tell myself "omg I'm going to be sick". But I've never actually been sick.

My weight goes up and down because of this and I've gone a bit OCD monitoring scales. The lowest I've been is 13.08 stone, but it's now at 14.00 stone. If I wake up and have lost any weight it sets up the day for anxiety. If I gain weight it makes me happy and I feel content.

But then usually late at night I will get munchies and eat what I can get my hands on. Yesterday I ate alot of junk food. I seem to be able to eat junk food quite easily but hearty meals do not spur the appetite. I ate a large fry up yesterday, which was nice. But when I first started eating it I had to pause, I felt sick. I ate it slow and before I know it I was feeling hungry and ate it all.

I don't know what's going on. My anxiety in general is hovering around 5/10. I'm always on edge, or anxious, but not enough for it to dominate my life (although some may say it already is).

It's getting me down now because I'm back to the worrying mindset. I called the doctor today to see when I have my psychiatric assessment but still waiting for the letter for appointment date :(

Re: Some days I have zero appetite, and this causes me to worry.

Hi, it definitely sounds like its anxiety related, at least you manage to eat loads some days. Ive had it for a good couple of months now but Im extremely stressed every day so it could be that. I also got obsessed with the scales and weighed myself 3 times a day and got upset when Id lost weight which would start the worrying all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by kt xxx View Post
    Hi, it definitely sounds like it’s anxiety related, at least you manage to eat loads some days. I’ve had it for a good couple of months now but I’m extremely stressed every day so it could be that. I also got obsessed with the scales and weighed myself 3 times a day and got upset when I’d lost weight which would start the worrying all over again.
    Hey kt. I've been following your thread too. It's really not a nice feeling at all and I feel your pain. One thing I do know is stress can cause loss of appetite. I can recall many points in the last 5 years where I've worried over my appetite and I've had periods similar to this. I watched 2 people die from Cancer. Both had no appetite. It lingers with me so much and causes so much stress because I will link my problem with theirs and tell myself I've got something seriously wrong with me. And every day when I check the scales, or have episodes of no appetite, the stress grows and grows. It really sucks.

Sounds like we're going through similar issues. This has lasted a lot longer than a month for me too.

Like clockwork. It's 11pm and I'm so hungry my stomach hurts. Just ate a bag of crispy M&M's which will not do me any favors but it's something better than nothing.

why not eat fruit or nuts instead of junk?

Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live. - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    why not eat fruit or nuts instead of junk?
    I've never been one for fruit. I wish I could enjoy it, it'd be so much better for me. I eat a lot of veg when the anxiety is messing with my eating and I generally don't consume too much junk. But when I'm going through episodes like this my only concern is to get food down me that I can stomach. That probably relates to the advice my stepdad and Dad was given during their battle with Cancer. The doctor told them both to eat anything and not to be concerned about what they're eating provided they get calories. In times when I am consuming less calories because of a lack of appetite I tend to eat whatever my brain wants to eat.

It's bad, I know. But the worse alternative is to go to sleep eating nothing. I'll jump rope for half an hour tomorrow and hope that negates it. LOL!

Yeah comfort food but you have to think long term of the effects of eating rubbish when you are hungry.

I know what you are saying though lol

Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live. - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Yeah comfort food but you have to think long term of the effects of eating rubbish when you are hungry.

I know what you are saying though lol
    You just said something true. Comfort food. I hadn't looked at it like this before. It's basically what it is

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    That probably relates to the advice my stepdad and Dad was given during their battle with Cancer. The doctor told them both to eat anything and not to be concerned about what they're eating provided they get calories.
    This is archaic and incorrect advice I'm afraid. Cancer thrives on sugar and carbohydrate.

Not eating is not bad for you, unless you have an eating disorder and regularly and steadily lose weight, which you don't. At 13-14 stone you have enough stored body fat to live for weeks without eating and not suffer any ill effects. You won't FEEL great, but you'll be fine.

Now that's not to say that's what you should do, but I guarantee you eating crap all the time is going to make your anxiety worse. There is absolutely no way around this.

The first thing I would do if I were you is just stop weighing yourself. You don't have a serious weight problem apart from the psychological fear/reward cycle you have yourself in. For example, about 6 weeks ago I moved house. This was the culmination of an extraordinarily stressful 5 years involving a massive legal battle selling my property which ended up costing me over 100k. During and after the move I experienced stress like I didn't think was possible, and had a massive mini-relapse into anxiety and crushing depression. Now that's not the point, but it was the source of my appetite just disappearing completely. I probably averaged 500 calories a day for two weeks, and that was me literally forcing food down (nuts, avocado, banana etc). Anything I could swallow that was healthy and calorific. In two weeks I lost 19lbs, but a couple of weeks later I feel fine again. I'm still reeling a little from the stress, but I know it'll all be back to normal soon.

I think you've become used to an abnormal relationship with food, and to start to get back to normal you just need to stop weighing yourself. Once you can stabilise that habit, then address what sounds like a pretty unhealthy diet. Veg is better for you than fruit anyway, but I'm sure you could find 3-4 fruits that you can palette with a bit of trial and error.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by WiredIncorrectly View Post
    It's bad, I know. But the worse alternative is to go to sleep eating nothing.
    Much better to go to bed on an empty stomach than eating crap. It will give digestive system a break and you'll wake up with more energy (and most likely a good appetite).

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information